Sport Bikes banner

Anyone ever had a pig roast?

747 views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Krazy Hawaiian 
#1 ·
A bunch of my friends and I are planning a pig roast in the upcoming couple of weeks and I was just wondering if anyone ever had one of their own or knows of any information about how much a 50-60lb pig would cost fully dressed?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Yes, from what I have heard it is some damn good eating. I can't wait until it actually comes around and we cook the damn thing. It is going to be a longggg day of partying.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Justin726 said:
We have had many pig roasts before. My wife's cousin has a big set-up that he pulls behind his camper and does hog roast for anyone that is having any kind of event. Usually a good hog will cost anywhere between $200-$400, just depending on where the hog market is right now.

A properly roasted and seasoned hog is one of the best meals you can get. You can get a lot of flavor out of those and when you mix it with the smell of the fire, it's well worth the effort.

Any ideas of any good rubs to put on the pig prior to cooking? Maybe some pointers of what could make the pig taste good for some newbies to pig roasting?

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Justin726 said:
Well, to do the spices you have to make criss-cross cuts pretty deep into the pig and reall rub the spices deep down into the cuts to get the flavor throuout the meat instead of just on the top. I'm not sure of the exact recipe for the spices, but I do know that most of it is just Mrs. Dash, with a lot of pepper. Pretty much any kind of mixed seasoning will do a pretty good job of adding a lot of flavor. Just like I said, get that seasoning deep inside the meat instead of just on top.
Thank you for the pointers Justin, I appreciate it....I am drooling just thinking about how it's going to taste....Hopefully one of my friends can find a mix of a very good rub to use on the meat...

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Krazy Hawaiian said:
:eek: Oh man yer gunna ruin a perfectly good pig!! :p You want good pig ya gotta do it HAWAIIAN Style. Doin it out in the open or on a spit will ruin the thing, do like the natives do and dig a big ass hole. Put a layer of grey rocks about bowling ball size on the bottom. Dump a huge amount of hardwood in the hole. Dump more rocks in hole on top of the wood. Set the wood on fire.
Now go work on the lil porker, rub Hawaiian Sea Salt all over the outside of the pig after you shave all the hair off it. Get some coconut milk and mix the sea salt into it and liberally soak the pig with it.
Got some Bananna trees handy? You need to wrap the pig in Bananna leaves reall good. Several layers of them will do.
Kick back drink several beers or do like the Hawaiians did and chew on some Ava Root. Shit will kick your ass right into the 60's. You'll see God. And lots of other fun things. It will keep you completely messed up for about 18 hours. You won't sleep but you'll be so wasted you will be lucky if you can stand up.

Once the big ass fire has birned down leaving a mass of coals and red hot rocks put a bunch of Bananna leaves on top of the rocks, put the pig on the leaves. Put more leaves on top of the pig. Then put all the red hot rocks that you pulled out of the pit and put them on top of the Bananna leave covered pig. Got lots of red hot rocks on it? Good. Now fill the hole up with dirt. Chew some more Ava Root or swill beer and swim and drool the rest of the day. At sundown start digging the hole out. When you get to the rocks they'll be kinda hot so don't grab em with your hands. Use someone elses hands for that.
When you get the rocks out and hit the brown burned leaves take them out, you'll see that as you pull them out some are still green. Thats a good sign. Grab the bundle that the pig is wrapped in and toss it up on to the ground or a handy table. Unwrap the critter. Be prepared to sample the most tasty pork you ever ate. You just made Kalua Pig, the old fashioned way. Hawaiian Style! Serve it with some long rice and Taro and you'll see why most real Hawaiians were so "large" in size.... They really know how to cook. The weirdest sounding way burying it in the ground with hot rocks but trust me its the most tasty thing I'be ever ate. It takes a lot of work and time but it's worth it! :D

We have talked about doing it Hawaiian style but jut were not totally sure about the method of cooking it. I will definitely run it by the friends on thise one because we were thinking about which way to cook it, I am going to copy and paste exactly what you wrote here and e-mail it to them in a minute just so they can see it for themselves.

I can't believe I forgot that you were from hawaii and probably knew a ton about roasting pigs. Thanks for the input also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.