25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this forum site.
I ride an 04 FJR1300 and love my bike.
Just thought I would see if anyone is out there?:banana

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
On my second FJR. Really liked my 06 right up to the point that we went sideways down the highway in the pouring rain late last year. Looked at all my options and decided that really the FJR is such a great fit for me, so I got another one and haven't had any regrets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"Had a 2006, traded in less than 1 year for a Tiger 1050. Sounds like Yamaha might have addressed my complaints with the 2009 model."

What complaints did you have about the 2006? I am looking to sell my 2004 FZ6 and the FJR is on my radar as my next bike. It's nice to hear from actual owners and not paid endorsements from writers.

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
An XT250. No joke. A blast to ride and much more fun in the slow and hot stuff. Plus I saved over $300 or more in 15 minutes on my bike insurance. And I get 70 mpg on my commute. And the maintenance is dirt cheap, all of which can be done at home. (No fancy valve shims and the like. I've literally stripped the bike down to frame wheels and engine in less than an hour and I'm slooooooooow.)

All of this is easier on the wallet since I changed jobs and the baby arrived.

But it also handles some of the rough stuff with an ease you can only get from a dual sport. Makes me think I might acquire a KLR or V-Strom eventually. Just depends on a lot of things...

I do miss having a sport bike of some kind. But one thing at a time. It's rough having multiple bikes vying for attention. They get jealous, you know? Like having multiple mistresses... while standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona...

·
occasional know-it-almost
198 Posts
Kind of a hijack here, but what tires do you FJR owners like best for the bike? I have a coworker who is more of a long tourer, and he seems to wear them down in the center pretty fast. I told him it's because he's afraid to lean it....but he does some long runs in the summer. Right now he's got Pirelli diablo's (corsa III's?)....a little too sporty for the bike, IMO.

Anyway, what tires do you folks like best on your FJR's? He's about ready to change...and I would like to give him a well informed opinion....thanks :)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
^^ IMO #1 Michelin Pilot Road 2 #2 Michelin Pilot Road #3 Metzeler Roadtec Z6 #4 Avon Storm AV55 ST & AV56

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tires

I put 9600 miles on a set of Dunlop RoadSmart tires with my 2005 FJR. I also put 65 miles on them in a Streetmasters class at the Horse Thief Mile track at Willow Springs. They were excellent. I now have Pilot Road 2's and they are excellent as well, for my style of riding. Unless things change, I will most likely put Dunlop's back on as they wear like iron, grip very well and are $70.00 a set less expensive. Just my 2 cents worth.

Randy B Stem
AMA Pro Racing
Tire Control

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree on the RoadSmarts, granted I have a smaller bike but I love them. I bought them because of the price difference between them and the Pilot Road 2's. But they ended up being very nice. They are getting flat in the middle, but not by much. That's only because of the place I live and the only curves you get are off/on ramps on the interstate. I really like the dual compound, harder in the middle for more miles and softer on the edges for the curves.

I would love to have a FJR, but I have a feeling that I would not use my bike anymore because they look like they would be an easier ride on the interstate.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
my next bike will likely be an FJR or Concours. Anybody ridden both - the new Concours of course...? I'm leaning FJR, but the Connie could definitely come back into play.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do!
I just did a Wauconda, IL to New Orleans and back w/ a buddy and his Harley.
HOT coming and going, but the joy of pounding interstate and making the FJR do what it was created to for 2000 miles is second to few pleasures in life.

Lock the throttle and stay hydrated. Drive through the night and watch out for Bambi. He's not your friend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts