Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I haven't seriously run long distance for about 2 years, the last time I did I was trying to get back in shape for soccer.

Since then I became pre-occupied with work, girls and motorcycles. Butsince I decided to join the Marines I figured I better get my ass back in shape,since I've really not been doing much for 2 years or so. I started running a mile and a half every day for a week before I went to bed.. at first I was slow as shit, almost didn't make it (Thanks alot Camel lights).. but by the end of the week I was running a mile and a half in about 10 minutes, and I just felt really good all day. I stopped running every day since I was starting to get sore, and I had a lot of other things to do, but even then I felt better during the day etc.

Well tonight I just ran 5 1/2 miles non-stop around a local lake. It felt sooo fucking good when I got too the end and I saw my car, and I just sprinted towards it and couldn't even feel my legs.. It was such a good feeling just sitting there next to my car with a bottle of water.. I still hurt all over, I had two bigass blisters, but it felt sooo good.

I'm gonna keep the running to a minimum for a couple days to let my blisters heel up, and then I'm gonna run the 5 1/2 miles every couple of days.. then after a month I'm gonna try and run around the lake twice. I figure if I can run 11 miles I'll be set for whatever they throw at me at bootcamp, cause I can already do 20 pullups and 75 pushups.

Anyone else like running? How far do you guys normally run, and what's the longest run you've been on?

My personal best is 10 miles when I was 15 and all in super good shape for football and soccer.

Sorry for the rant, I just never realized how much I enjoyed running.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I try to run 5 - 6 days a week, usually at one of two parks near my house. Right now I do around 3 - 4 miles on different trails and paces. The farthest ever ran was 6 miles. Pick up a good pair of shoes, it really makes a difference. I like getting that "runner's high" too, always keeps me coming back. I'd say running also helps you out pretty good in any other kind of physical activity you do in life. I remember doing my trackday, and after some guys after doing a 20 min session would be breathing hard, sore, and beat. I'd be ready to go back out!

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I use to run track in high school so I've always had a love for it. I've never been much for long distances though. My events were always the sprints and jumps. But when my back isn't acting up I like to run at least 1 to 2 miles a day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Matt, if you run that well then you'll be off to a great start in the Marine Corps. They are all about running, and the faster you can run the better your promotion opportunities will be. No joke. Don't neglect your upper body, though. Dead-hang pullups (locking the elbows out with every repetition) is also a benchmark by which you are judged as a Marine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
every morning i run 50 laps around a soccer field right beside my house with a soccer ball to practise control while i run. (obviously i play soccer)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I hate running. I've got a bad knee that swells up after 30 minutes of hard running (and I'm only 20 :mad: ).. I only do swimming for a good cardiovascular work out

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
I don't like running, but I work with 2 guys that run ALOT. By alot, I mean like 5 or 6 miles everyday. I think that's alot. To me it is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Distance running isn't good for you in my opinion. I know it can be a great feeling to complete a long run though. I've done a few 5k races and won first in my age group a few times and it feels great. I stopped running completely after seeing how many injuries people suffer from it though. Now, for exercise, I do a lot more sprint work. I find it has gotten me into better shape and my joints don't hurt at all.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Absolutely love running!

Ran track in high school and that was a ton of fun. I do love to run distance, I have not run lately and that is mostly due to the motorcycle. I hope I can start running again in the next couple of days.

When I was in high school we would do like 10 miles a day for practice, I had a very hard core coach and everything was like training for a marathon with him. That was good stuff til some woman driver hit me one day while crossing the street.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Never been a big fan of running... I mean ... running while you are playing a sport fine... run to the endzone... run to the goal... run to the hoop are all good but to just to run??? dunno maybe it's cuz I have bad knees.... but running just to run never really appealed to me....

·
Registered
35 Posts
You guys are fooking NUTZ!!!

I hate running...BUT I still do it so that I maintain good physical fitness. I started up around November and I try to do about 3 miles 2-3 times a week. Also, if I am accepted to the Police Academy...things should be easier for me.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I used to run all the time for miles. I also used to get the urge to just go running at odds hours of the night. Like I would get home from a friend's house or party at like 2am, and park the car and just start running right then and there around the neighborhood. I was the black Forrest Gump. :)

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I like doing cardio. Me and my father head out into the woods and go for runs down the trails. Good stuff being out there in nature. I like it better then a treadmil. But, for those days when it's raining or the woods are covered in mosquitos, i just use the treadmils at the gym to get in a good cardio workout.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
I run at least 3 days a week. I hate it. The damn Army wants me in shape, so I run 3 days a week and destroy my knees. Go figure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
MattLikesBikes

Just for the record, I was in the Marines for 9 years. Basic is the roughest part. It's not the running that gets to you, It's the mental conditioning. Not to say we didn't run, because we ran like hell. At the end of basic back in 1989, (not too sure about todays training) we had to pass a 10 mile mote run (actually a motivational run) that was fully geared up 90+ pound pack (god forbid you have to run with the SAW or M-60. M-60 guys run with the weapon, and their buddie runs with ammo and tri-pod). Again Mind you this was in 1989. First month is alot of marching and learning. Reading alot and learning drills and such. The end of 1st phase you have alot of tests. Knowledge, weapon (which includes the breakdown and reassembly of your M-16 A2 service rifle blindfolded within the alotted amount of time.) 1st pahse it also the toughest on you mentaly. one best word of advice... NEVER GIVE UP. That's the DI's job. to make you fail. weed out the loosers so to speak. It would be a good idea to be in good physical shape when entering, but you will be in the best shape of your life when you leave the island (you are going to Parris Island I am assuming) The heat is unbearable, the sand fleas are relentless and the DI's are always on your ass, it's probably the most depressed feeling you will ever have. By no means am I trying to talk you out of it, But I promise you, once you complete your training, no one will recognise you. You will be a new man. I don't mean to rant either, but there is no one but a Marine that will give you some idea of what you will go through. My little brother went through basic about 5 years ago, and he told me that the info I gave him was invaluable, and it helped him more than if I had not told him anything about it. If you have ever seen Full Metal Jacket, that's probably the most honest rendetion of Marine Basic I have ever seen, BUT it is equivelent to about one day in basic. Everyone handles it differently, I seen men go through and never break a stride, and I seen guys do almost ANYTHING to get out. ie jump from third floor windows and stuff. They couldn't hack it. If you have any questions you can email me or pm me. I will be happy to help a fellow future Marine in any way.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
phiber0p said:
MattLikesBikes

Just for the record, I was in the Marines for 9 years. Basic is the roughest part. It's not the running that gets to you, It's the mental conditioning. Not to say we didn't run, because we ran like hell. At the end of basic back in 1989, (not too sure about todays training) we had to pass a 10 mile mote run (actually a motivational run) that was fully geared up 90+ pound pack (god forbid you have to run with the SAW or M-60. M-60 guys run with the weapon, and their buddie runs with ammo and tri-pod). Again Mind you this was in 1989. First month is alot of marching and learning. Reading alot and learning drills and such. The end of 1st phase you have alot of tests. Knowledge, weapon (which includes the breakdown and reassembly of your M-16 A2 service rifle blindfolded within the alotted amount of time.) 1st pahse it also the toughest on you mentaly. one best word of advice... NEVER GIVE UP. That's the DI's job. to make you fail. weed out the loosers so to speak. It would be a good idea to be in good physical shape when entering, but you will be in the best shape of your life when you leave the island (you are going to Parris Island I am assuming) The heat is unbearable, the sand fleas are relentless and the DI's are always on your ass, it's probably the most depressed feeling you will ever have. By no means am I trying to talk you out of it, But I promise you, once you complete your training, no one will recognise you. You will be a new man. I don't mean to rant either, but there is no one but a Marine that will give you some idea of what you will go through. My little brother went through basic about 5 years ago, and he told me that the info I gave him was invaluable, and it helped him more than if I had not told him anything about it. If you have ever seen Full Metal Jacket, that's probably the most honest rendetion of Marine Basic I have ever seen, BUT it is equivelent to about one day in basic. Everyone handles it differently, I seen men go through and never break a stride, and I seen guys do almost ANYTHING to get out. ie jump from third floor windows and stuff. They couldn't hack it. If you have any questions you can email me or pm me. I will be happy to help a fellow future Marine in any way.
Thanks for the info man. I'll probably hit you up with some questions about bootcamp soon, since my friend's brother who I usually ask just got stationed somewhere else. I was asking my local recruiter some ques. but I felt that every time I'd go in there to ask for some more info, they'd push me to sign up sooner and sooner.. It just made me uncomfortable how fast they were trying to get me in.. So I backed off for a while when the guy pretty much told my Mom (not asked) that he was comming over at 4am to pick me up to go to the meps thing in MD when I really wasn't ready to do that yet (for way too many reasons that I had already explained to him)..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good luck in joining the Corps,You're gonna be running alright.If you end up in a Grunt unit you'll doin' some serious humpin' too so keep motivated! Now Get Some!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wreckless said:
Never been a big fan of running... I mean ... running while you are playing a sport fine... run to the endzone... run to the goal... run to the hoop are all good but to just to run??? dunno maybe it's cuz I have bad knees.... but running just to run never really appealed to me....
You got that right. I find it boring to me and hardly do it. That might explain at 5 feet 5 133 pds I run a lousy 9 to 10 minute mile. Now if its hoops or soccer its ok and I will do it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
MattLikesBikes said:
Thanks for the info man. I'll probably hit you up with some questions about bootcamp soon, since my friend's brother who I usually ask just got stationed somewhere else. I was asking my local recruiter some ques. but I felt that every time I'd go in there to ask for some more info, they'd push me to sign up sooner and sooner.. It just made me uncomfortable how fast they were trying to get me in.. So I backed off for a while when the guy pretty much told my Mom (not asked) that he was comming over at 4am to pick me up to go to the meps thing in MD when I really wasn't ready to do that yet (for way too many reasons that I had already explained to him)..

Maybe I just had a bad experience, but all I can say is get it first hand from a Fleet Marine.... NEVER TRUST A RECUITER! His job in the Marines is to be a salesman, and alot of info may be alot of spit-shine, if you understand what I mean.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts