Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cecil is a rescue dog, I traveled 300 miles to save him from being killed at a shelter a little more than 2 years ago. He is a very special dog who is energetic and very intelligent. Shortly after rescuing him I learned that he is a pure breed rat terrier.

Cecil and I have been riding for about 1.5 years now. We have done long trips (400-800 miles in a day) and short rides, and it has gotten to the point where I rarely ride anywhere without him. As of now he has 10k miles and that number is climbing fast. He absolutely loves riding, even at highway speeds or when lane splitting through heavy Southern California traffic.

His hardwood padded box, aluminum and steel reinforced mounting bracket, and modified safety harness were all custom designed and revised several times by me over the past 2 years. I believe that his custom sport bike seat is somewhat unique. He is restrained to the point where he cannot stand up, nor does he even try. He is limited to moving his head from one side to the other, and he is very content to sit back and watch (and sometimes yap) as the world comes to him.

I am hoping to find some other enthusiasts that also ride with their dog(s), and perhaps we can share some ideas or experiences. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
mine's way too big I'd need a sidecar. (she's a pitbull). but she'd love it I'm sure. car rides are one of her favs.

I swear this would be me, The Oasis Of My Soul » About us… myself “Ara” and my buddy “Spirit”
Wow! Thank you for sharing. It was very emotional... I actually lost my sister to cancer about the same time I started riding with Cecil, although I never connected the two events.

Our story is not entirely different. I was always an outcast and a misfit - ADHD, divergent thinker, hyperactive, etc. I think the person that turned Cecil in to the shelter did so because Cecil is hyper like me. What kind of person brings their dog to a dirty and disease infested place where they kill all the animals every Friday? He and I are the same, and strangely enough I have more in common with him then I do with 95% of the population.

Thank you so much for the link! I wish I could get away long enough to ride with him to Alaska this summer. :)

As for riding with your dog, Cecil is 21 lbs and I barely feel him shifting his weight. I believe that I can carry up to a 25-30 lb dog on a sportbike and probably up to a 40-50 lb dog on a heavy cruiser or touring bike. It may even be possible to go 70 lbs on a can-am 3 wheeler, and probably no limit to the weight if he rides in a trailer on back of the can-am. The trick is to design a seat that only allows them to move their head and upper body, as that is only 1/4 - 1/3 of the animal's weight :)

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Awesome. I would take a dog but then I'd have to take all six. Hope you and your best buddy always ride safe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I live in mission viejo and ive seen you around a few times. Always brings a huge smile to my face every time i see you. Awesome

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The OP is absolutely nuts.
That wood box is going to scratch his paint job.
Yes, and yes. It's only a Ninja 500 though and actually it is Cecil's bike, and what really scratched it up was the ratchet tie downs from the initial project - it now has a heavy duty bracket bolted directly to the frame.

Once he gets some more miles under him we will be stepping up to a larger bike with a little more power.

My 2 year old mastiff likes to ride on my tank

Here he is in the car

Wow, I don't even think the can am with a trailer is going to handle that one. On the plus side you won't need AAA. If your bike or car breaks down just harness him up and let him pull you home :)

This reminds me of the "Puggle Pod 9000" another rider made awhile back:

and the original thread though it looks as if some pics aren't working:
Puggle Pod 9000 Arrives!

there's also a few vids on youtube of it as well

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! Thank you for sharing that! It even looks like it allows the bike to lean into the turns. The only drawback that I can find is that you cannot lane split with it, and that only applies to CA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That dog is amazing!

It is a good thing he is not in NJ though. I just moved away from NJ, and they are trying to pass a dog seat belt law there. If you are caught driving with an unrestrained animal you face a fine of up to $1000 and up to 6 months in jail. I wonder what NJ would do if they pulled someone over for that? I am sooo glad that I no longer live there. Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Tex and Bundy used to ride together all the time until the fun Police stopped them.

Tex once told me Bundy would start to howl when Tex would go for rides by himself or with his missus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Tex and Bundy used to ride together all the time until the fun Police stopped them.

Tex once told me Bundy would start to howl when Tex would go for rides by himself or with his missus.

Let Tex & Bundy ride!! - YouTube
Wow, Tex is something else! I sooo love dog people! I had to play it over a couple of times to make sure I heard him right - 1.2 MILLION KILOMETERS WITH A DOG ON THE BIKE! The cop gave him a $400 ticket and told him that it is fine to carry an unrestrained dog on the back of the bike, but you cannot carry a restrained one on the front - and all while he was raising money for charity. :( At first I did consider carrying Cecil on the tank but he is a little too big for that, and now that I have finished the final revisions to his box and harness I feel it is safer to carry him on the back. What Cecil thinks would be an entirely different story though - shotgun!!!

A friend once lived in Australia and said it was a very beautiful place and the people there are wonderful. He told me if I ever found the means that I should move there. I wish it was possible to drive there from here :) Anyway thank you for sharing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts