Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out highway riding for about an hour and after taking the off ramp and then another on ramp, the bike stalled mid ramp and I lost all power/acceleration. Kinda scary... I also had someone on the back! so after bringing the bike to a stop I tried to restart it but it wouldn't fully start. What I mean is that it would start and then die right away. I figured out that I needed to give it a little gas and hit the start button to keep it from stalling. Needless to say the rest of the ride home I had to keep a little bit of gas on - even when sitting at lights or coasting. Anyone else had this happen to them? Could it be bad gas? a faulty throttle position sensor? I took it to the dealer right away and they said no codes were found but the kickstand kill switch had a loose bolt. I don't beleive that would have solved the problem considering I still could run the bike with the throttle open.

Any takers on this one?

Oh, after letting the bike sit for about 10 minutes contemplating the problem, it started up like nothing happened before but was running much different (same rpm's as normal though). The exhaust note was much different.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hate to say it, but here we go again, ya know complaining, anyways I had mine stall the week before I dumped the bike, took it to the dealer and said its your idle, [email protected]#*, anyways if it does it again they can keep it for week till its fixed.
Anyways, I am going on my 4-Day pass, be back on monday, taking a ride to South Texas. Hope the FZ rides fine till then.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Did the bike cut off but the display still light up? If the kickstand sensor was loose then the bike would stall but the display would still show while the key was in the 'on' position.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, the display was still on cause I remember the speedo reading 0 when I was still doing 20 or 30 (kilometers per hour) same with the fuel and temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
elkymutt said:
yeah, the display was still on cause I remember the speedo reading 0 when I was still doing 20 or 30 (kilometers per hour) same with the fuel and temp gauge.
You've pretty much ruled out an electrical problem and the kickstand sensor sounds logical........ ::::::running out to check my kickstand sensor bolt as I type:::::::

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think I've got this one licked.....FINALLY!!

Same thing I had, went through: at ~6weeks and 4000miles. I had the same symptoms, I tried different gas, took it in, no codes. "Our best mechanic ode it for 45minutes, couldn't reproduce the problem?" The throttle would just act "snatchy" but very inconsistant. Someone mentioned a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) I researched it myself and found that it should reset if you turned the ignition off and back on. This every fifth day problem became an everyday problem. Rough or no idle, while holding steady throttle at highway speed it would just "drop out" and I'd have to give progressively more gas until it would "kick in and accellerate again". So I started just clicking off the ignition when traffic would allow, switch right back on without pulling over or stopping and voila' it would be "normal" again?

Long story short. Finally it did it really bad one day and I noticed the check engine light came on, without it stalling, then went off when I accellerated. I took it in again...... and finally they found the TPS code. Ordered one, three days later put 'er in. Whole new ride now. I believe it was affecting my throttle control in small ways and not bad enough to leave a code for awhile, because she sure RESPONDS NOW!!

Tell them to change the TPS

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
ECM problem maybe?

elkymutt said:
That's an interesting symptom. So, you were still moving at 20/30 but the speedo was reading zero. That almost makes it sound like the ECM (computer) reset on you or something. That would explain the engine stopping and the speedo not reading anything.

JimE

·
Registered
78 Posts
My bike has developed a new interesting problem. Twice now it has stalled out for no reason while riding. Once you start it back up again it will immediatly stall out if you are not reving it up. It will continue to do this until you shut the key off and start it up again. After that it was fine for another week or so until it happened again. Anyone else have this happen to them?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
exciter99 said:
My bike has developed a new interesting problem. Twice now it has stalled out for no reason while riding. Once you start it back up again it will immediatly stall out if you are not reving it up. It will continue to do this until you shut the key off and start it up again. After that it was fine for another week or so until it happened again. Anyone else have this happen to them?
What does your bike idle at?

·
Registered
78 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
What does your bike idle at?
It idles at around 1200rpm. It has no issues 99% of the time and only stalls out until you turn it off and on after this it runs flawlessly for days at a time. I wonder if this is due to never having the throttle bodies syncronized. I have about 4300 miles on my bike now.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
exciter99 said:
It idles at around 1200rpm. It has no issues 99% of the time and only stalls out until you turn it off and on after this it runs flawlessly for days at a time. I wonder if this is due to never having the throttle bodies syncronized. I have about 4300 miles on my bike now.
It was my understanding the throttle bodies get synched after 16k.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
It was my understanding the throttle bodies get synched after 16k.
The owners manual mentions "Check and adjust engine idle speed and synchronization" and it checkmarked at every interval. I just didn't know if unsynched throttle bodies would perhaps trip off the computer and cause the bike to not run properly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The dealer in this case regarding the kickstand sensor is probably 95% accurate.

The reason you are able to start the bike and unless you are on the gas, it turns off is because the sensor is viewing the kickstand as being down and turns the bike off. Check to make sure the bolts for the kickstand and sensor are all tight. Make sure the kickstand goes up and comes to a rest where it is supposed too.

One time on my R6, I was in full leathers, leaving a parking lot and standing up and bouncing trying to adjust the leathers. This tripped the sensor into thinking the bike had "fallen" over and killed the bike. Doing the same thing u guys are saying. I'd try to start, she'd start but turn right off unless I was on the gas. As soon as I turned the bike off, let it sit for a min, so that the ecu would reset or cycle what ever u want to call it, and start her up, she had no problem. Same thing with the kick stand issue.

If I'm at the track and I low side, the same thing happens. I need to shut the bike off, wait a min, then start her up and go. It is a PIA, since u lose time.

It is not the end of your bike. It isn't an electrical problem, bike is functioning as it is supposed too.

Remember, bikes vibrate a LOT. As part of your pre-ride check, you should get in the habit of checking your bolts. Perhaps not everysingle ride, but atleast once a week. I have found so many bolts loose. I have placed locktight on so many bolts... I have had my left clip on almost fall off because bolt came off completely, have had swingarm sldiers fly off, etc.

If you ever find your bike turns off, then it starts but dies suddenly, just turn it off all the way, pull the key to be sure. Let it set for atleast a minute, and then start her up. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it was the kickstand sensor shouldn't it not run at all? This just stops the ability to idle. I will check the sensor bolt when I go out to lunch today anyways. I have to plan a day to go through my bike and locktite all kinds of things seeing Yamaha doesn't put it on anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine just stalled, yet again, what to do....the speedo read zero when it stalled, as I was rolling I shut the kill switch and the key and then started up again, and wasnt just fine it still needed a good twist of the throttle to keep it going, calling yamaha.

·
Registered
78 Posts
g8torblue said:
Mine just stalled, yet again, what to do....the speedo read zero when it stalled, as I was rolling I shut the kill switch and the key and then started up again, and wasnt just fine it still needed a good twist of the throttle to keep it going, calling yamaha.
I just checked the kickstand switch and everything seems fine. g8torblue please let me know what Yamaha comes up with. I didn't check the speedo when it has happened but I will if it happens again.

·
Registered
850 Posts
guys... this is the same thing I was talking about with mine in another thread. The dealers and manufacturer have decided that a faulty CDI is the problem. I don't know what it is or what it does... but they are going to replace mine as it dies alot upon starting and is hard to start back up.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The speedo will read zero upon a stall. The speedo gets the reading from the speedo sensor that's somewhere in the engine/tranny not on the wheel. Right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts