Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I'd like to know if any of you guys experience any chain noise on your bikes. It is audible at low speeds for me, I just did a chain clean/lube job on my chain using http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/how-tos-section/347301-chain-maintenance-hybrid.html as a guide. I just noticed that the chain noise is still there, and it's adjusted within specs. I just wondered if it is normal to have a certain amount of chain noise...

I used all the same lube/cleaners hybrid did, just don't know if I'm just hearing things now, maybe it's in my head...lol...

thanks,
jason

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes me feel better, I never heard a noise when I got the bike, about 1300 miles ago. But when you start paying attention (after that silly grin from riding a new bike goes away) you just hear things you didn't used to hear, know what I mean...lol.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
so many people mess up the interpretation of the chain specs....don't rule it out unless you are 100% sure it's not that....only experience will tell you and by asking this type of question, I think experience is in play here. A little chain noise is normal, but a sudden onset or a very noticeable noise is not.
Find a buddy (experienced) who can look at your chain tension and give you a second opinion.

·
Registered
734 Posts
For what it's worth, when I first got my bike I thought the specs were way on the loose side so I ran my chain at the tight end of the spec. When I noticed the chain noise (after the grin wore off) I started loosening the chain. Now I'm at the loose end of the spec and the chain is much quieter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kept it smack dab in the middle, coming from a cruiser, this is only my sencond chain driven bike, so I'm learning here...my old 250 ninjette didn't make a peep, even when it was dirty, it may just be the b***** chain, and the nature of the beast.

I'm taking her down to the yama shop today to have them hear it and see if it all in my head.

thanks all,
Jason

·
Wait! What just happened?
345 Posts
Yeah some chain noise is normal. The FZ6 chain actually runs along the chainguide, making noise, on the top of the swingarm right up by the pivot point. And in my experience it is better to have your chain on the slightly loose side of spec.

Also when the time comes for you to do some regearing(-1+2 etc.) that chain noise will increase slightly again till you get accustomed to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.