Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was thinking about this last night just before bed...it's where I get my best and worse ideas.

Since I really really hate the banana seat on my F3, I was thinking of maybe making a custom solo seat with a cowl on the tail end where the passenger would sit now.

The way I was thinking of doing this was to take a piece of paper or poster board, cutting it in a shape sorta like my picture...and cutting new ones til when I tape each side to both tail fairings it looks to be in the shape of a cowl.

After making the paper template I would get a 5 gallon bucket, lay the paper on it bucket and trace around then cut it out. Now I would take the piece of bucket I'd cut out and try to shape it around the seat like I did with the paper. If it doesn't wrap around quite as easy, using a heat gun to make it more pliable then holding it in place until it sets the shape I want. Then using the bucket as a sort of "mold" I could use this to make a fiberglass shell...sand/prep/paint then I could fit it to the tail sections using more fiberglass to make it one piece...

Sound like a good idea? Anything I could do a better way?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
have you ever worked with fiberglass before? i wanted to make a custom seat cowl for my bike because of a banana seat. but most advice was don't bother unless you have experience. try to find a shop around you and ask them. may make things easier, but cost more.

also it's a little more extreme, but there was a post around here of someone who swapped out some parts and replaced their banana seat from another honda with rider and passenger seats. Yeah it's a lot more work, but it's always fun to truly customize/mod your bike.

:edit
http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products...oductID/463048

found the link, but it's an f4i, not sure how the whole subframe on your bike is setup, but it may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well they make a cowl to fit over the passenger seat somewhere for the F3,

and working with fiberglass can't be too hard....just need the cloth and resin, then the mat to strengthen it up some.......build it up to a good thickness, and sand down smooth

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Dude your bucket idea sucks..............

Targa makes a cowl for your bike.

You can make one in one of couple ways.

Take your seat, tape over it with masking tape........two layers.

Tape over your tail section.........Two layers.

Then paint a thin layer of resin on the tape (becarefull its gonna drip everywhere so protect the bike) and lay down a layer of glass and wet it out. You want the glass to no lift away from the seat so it may take a bit of work.

Let it harden up and then you now have the base layer and you can start building thickness.

Finish it up to the thickness you want and then you have the base of it built. Cut it to fit with a good line against the tail section and then use the mounts for the seat strap as a place to build the brackets that mount it. Youll have to flex your cowl to fit and then using those bolts it will stay.

Take it off, sand, prime and paint.

Walla!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dude you cant blame me for trying :)

and i already knew targa made it, but i wanted to make my own.....theres something about self pride that makes me feel all mushy inside.....the reason i was thinking of using the bucket is because i'd like for it to look sorta like the GSXR cowl..more rounded on top not flat looking like the targa one is

but honestly i havent actually looked at it..it was just an idea of mine.....i wanted to get rid of the banana seat all together, even if it means making an entirely new seat and relocating the tabs to mount it....ill do whatever i need to do

·
Your mom goes to college
1,001 Posts
i thought about doing that to my hella gay seat i thought about buying an extra seat stripping the upholstry and making the cowl part of the seat then reupholtering whats left of teh seat smaller and sweater. then if my gf wanted to rid all i would have to do is change seats and wouldnt have to deal with moveing the mounting shit and all that

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
CBRAWR said:
dude you cant blame me for trying :)

and i already knew targa made it, but i wanted to make my own.....theres something about self pride that makes me feel all mushy inside.....the reason i was thinking of using the bucket is because i'd like for it to look sorta like the GSXR cowl..more rounded on top not flat looking like the targa one is

but honestly i havent actually looked at it..it was just an idea of mine.....i wanted to get rid of the banana seat all together, even if it means making an entirely new seat and relocating the tabs to mount it....ill do whatever i need to do

Well the key to that is making the original first.

You have to have one that fits as intended. Leave it rough and hit me up........Ill explain to you how to make the cowl in a new shape by using some really inexpensive things.

If you lived close..........Id just have you come over and do it with me yelling at you the whole time.

Oh and no, the bucket was a bad idea. Thats the problem with alot of people..........they think of the hardest way to do something when they think of doing the unknown. There is always a more direct approach and an easier way.

·
Registered
733 Posts
CBRAWR said:
After making the paper template I would get a 5 gallon bucket, lay the paper on it bucket and trace around then cut it out. Now I would take the piece of bucket I'd cut out and try to shape it around the seat like I did with the paper. If it doesn't wrap around quite as easy, using a heat gun to make it more pliable then holding it in place until it sets the shape I want.
dude, if they come out with a new reality show "American ******* Biker Build off" you are a shoe in.:twofinger

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
rsp919 said:
dude, if they come out with a new reality show "American ******* Biker Build off" you are a shoe in.:twofinger
bwahahahahahahahahahaa:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rsp919 said:

eat me :) lol

im not a fabrication artist or anything....it was just an idea

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
CBRAWR said:
eat me :) lol

im not a fabrication artist or anything....it was just an idea
Dont get your panties wadded up................were just teasin you..........

Do the orginal cover and Ill tell you how to get it shaped and redone as a new look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts