Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about possibly getting a kayak.

Does anyone mess with these things?? Which is better for starting out, a closed one or a sit-on-top one??

I'll mainly be using it on a rather calm river, and in a really calm inland lake.

Thanks.

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
i dont know anything about kayaking, but i say get a sit in one so you can take it in not so calm water if you want to..

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^

You can take a sit-on-top one in the same water. You just have to get some straps for it.

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
gotcha.....

then i dont know, i think the sit in ones are cooler :)

but im an idiot.. hahaha

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
My wife is a kayaker. She even has one for sale. Whitewater style, although she's only been in a river like twice with it.
Kayaks are specialized. Some are whitewater, others for lakes or even the ocean.
Within every type is another sub-type.. Like for whitewater there are speedy boats, play boats, stunt boats, etc.
You really need to nail down what you're going to do with it. From the design, you generally choose by your weight. The kayak my wife is selling is simply too big for her, it's meant for someone my size (200 pounds).

Also remember that kayaking is not a solo sport. You will need at least one person to drive the vehicle to pick you up- if you kayak in rivers. It's not like a bike where you can go alone. That one factor is hugely limiting.
Drop me an email and I'll have the old lady answer it for ya. I'm not a kayaker myself, it's her hobby. Likewise, she refuses to ride on a motorcycle.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I looked at this post and opened it because I was like what is Kaya-King? Is that some kind of drug?

I'm an idiot.

I have white water rafted before but that is it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I am a kayaker and canoeist. I have recreation and touring kayaks. For lakes a touring style kayak is better, in white-water rivers you need a short boat with a lot of rocker (curved bottom) so it turns very fast. A rec kayak can do both rivers and lakes but niether very well. see www.paddling.net

Stephen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts