Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the tr***** and get an 05 GSXR-1000. I've owned a 95 CBR-600 F3 and a 2001 ZX-9. Both were built well and I never had any issues with either bike. I lowsided the ZX-9 but nothing major happened. I don't have any experience with Suzuki but have always thought that they were well made. I was looking around some forums and have seen picture of the K5 frames snapping in an crash. Has there been any recalls or letters issued by Suzuki? Am I being too paranoid about this??? I don't stunt but would like to do a track day or two with this bike. Is there cause for concern?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I havent heard anything about it. I saw one in the shop the other day that had been highsided, there was alot of damage to the plastics but the frame appeared to be intact. Its an awesome bike I say go for it. Unless u wanna wait until next year and get the reb/black. Thats a sexy looking bike.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i know of a few here in colorado that have had the frames crack on MRA races that they crashed, but crashed HARD. so its hard to say whether or not the problem lies in the frame or the engine having too much power for the riders they have no choice but to slam it into a wall at 120 :)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
id wait for the 06 imho or get a 04.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about the 06. The 04 is no good because I'm too short. The reach to the bars is too low and the seat too high. The K5 fits really good. I'll find out on Tuesday if I get the 05 or wait for the 06.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
In the analysis of one of the broken k5 frames from some race crash (don't remember any of the specifics), it was suggested that one of the frame welds wasn't up to snuff. I don't recall hearing any resolution of that. You might want to check some GSX-R 1000 specific boards for more details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Bro,

I just bought one 2-weeks ago. I am in AHHHHHH. If you have never been into SUZUKI's that will all change when you buy one. :eek:nfloor

Also if you crash alot than don't buy any bike made between 03-ON. WHY?

Manufactures have cut weight down so much that it has made every bike now very fragile. No matter who makes it. Upside is you will have the best bike on the market. So much power you will need an extra pair of nads to use it all.

My 98 750 was the punisher. Crash it, repair what was broke and keep riding. Not so much any more. Its all about who has the lightest,fastest,most powerful bike. :cheers

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
vaa said:
I was thinking about the 06. The 04 is no good because I'm too short. The reach to the bars is too low and the seat too high. The K5 fits really good. I'll find out on Tuesday if I get the 05 or wait for the 06.
They really didnt change anything for 06. The only thing that is really any different is the paint schemes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my Black/Siver K5 about 2 weeks ago. I love it. It's an animal.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never heard of anything happening to the frame while riding it. only breaks when crashing it hard into a wall. I wouldn't think twice about buying one because of that.
If you don't have any self controll when riding don't buy it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
- Lowsided mine @ 60-70 miles straight into the auto barrier, front and right side damage, no frame issue.

- only colour changes for 2006

I am on my second one now while the crashed will be rebuild into something special..............

Go and get one immediatly, you will guarenteed be blown away by this bike.

One tip: Adjust your clutch strictly according to manual regardless what the dealer says.
There have been some people with clutch issues, but I suspect that is due to some "sloppy" dealers.

I got both mine bikes delivered in the crate and followed the assembly manual given to the dealers.
If you pm me your e-mail I can send it to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was at the race, it was a mra event at pikes peak raceway. at that track we use nascar turn 4 onto the front straight then dive into a 180 degree left hander below nascar turns 1 and 2. the rider did not make turn 1, the bike went up the banking into the wall at a very high rate of speed and basically blew apart. the bike was trailered back to the pits a parked right next to our pit. the frame cracked at both the vertical welds just behind the steering tube. let me restate that the frame cracked on both sides on the welds. parts of the weld were on each side of the break. it looked like the weld did not fully penetrate. very strange break pattern. just passing on some first hand knowedge.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
oakley125 said:
i was at the race, it was a mra event at pikes peak raceway. at that track we use nascar turn 4 onto the front straight then dive into a 180 degree left hander below nascar turns 1 and 2. the rider did not make turn 1, the bike went up the banking into the wall at a very high rate of speed and basically blew apart. the bike was trailered back to the pits a parked right next to our pit. the frame cracked at both the vertical welds just behind the steering tube. let me restate that the frame cracked on both sides on the welds. parts of the weld were on each side of the break. it looked like the weld did not fully penetrate. very strange break pattern. just passing on some first hand knowedge.
Over all, HUMAN ERROR.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mollsey1000 said:
I've never heard of anything happening to the frame while riding it. only breaks when crashing it hard into a wall. I wouldn't think twice about buying one because of that.
If you don't have any self controll when riding don't buy it.
I read a detailed report from a racer whose bike under the stress of hard cornering broke apart....no walls..no rider error....the frame had stress from cornering and just broke apart. If you'd like I can search and find the pics..etc. But right now my girlfriend is nagging me to play City of Villians.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts