·
Registered
1,443 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Pro: Off the line is much better.
Slow speed manuavering much easier.
2nd 3rd gear twistie. I am no longer thinking about dropping to first.
2nd gear around town... I am less likely to "speed".
Better top speed.(on a closed course... of course:bitchslap)

Con: Fuel.
and then reverse all the pros I just listed.

If you want to try a cheap experiment... spend $20 on 15 tooth front sprocket.
That makes a huge difference. Keep in mind the speedo would be off by aprox 12%.

·
FEAR the stapler...
1,230 Posts
Interesting to see that I got a better 0-60 time than a magazine test. I also got a better 0-100 time, by a long shot.
:banana
I find it interesting that my average mpg is over 10mpg better then their average. :banana common global warming:neener

·
Registered
22 Posts
I copied this off a motorcyclistonline review of the fz6.

Performance
Corrected 1/4 mile: 11.30 sec. @ 119.42 mph
0-60 mph: 3.44 sec.
0-100 mph: 7.87 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph: 6.09 sec.
Fuel mileage (low/high/average): 32/44/38

:headbang

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I copied this off a motorcyclistonline review of the fz6.

Performance
Corrected 1/4 mile: 11.30 sec. @ 119.42 mph
0-60 mph: 3.44 sec.
0-100 mph: 7.87 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph: 6.09 sec.
Fuel mileage (low/high/average): 32/44/38

:headbang

All respectable numbers, save one. Who rides around in 6th gear at 60 mph? I don't see 6th until I am at 75-80.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
All respectable numbers, save one. Who rides around in 6th gear at 60 mph? I don't see 6th until I am at 75-80.
No one. It's just a measurement. If just gives you more information. I've seen top gear roll-ons for the FZ6 starting at 40MPH.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
It's a standard metric so you can compare bikes. The speeds are to reflect highway passes. It's a measure of torque (which the 600s don't have much of). Results are also skewed because top gear for some bikes is fifth rather than sixth - for example FJR vs C-14 comparisons get wound around the axle on this measurement all the time.

KeS

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
Its a bad measurement, utterly useless in real life. Nobody is in 6th on a 600SS at 40mph.
You're missing the point of it.

I wouldn't say its the most representative of real life test but it tells you what the engine is capable of given the worst gearing, tells you who's sixth gear is shortest, gives you an idea of what to expect in the correct gear as well...

They don't take this measurement because they think someone might actually make a habit of doing this; they take it simply because it tells you something.

FZ6 - 40 to 110MPH / top gear: 19.7 seconds (MCN) :lol

·
Helicopter Inspector
186 Posts
Its a bad measurement, utterly useless in real life. Nobody is in 6th on a 600SS at 40mph.
I ride in 6th at 40... if I'm just cruising down the Boston Post Rd (Edit: A.K.A. Route 1) with a lot of cars around. Why waste the gas when traffic prohibits you from going any faster? Granted, when the conditions permit, 60 in second is a common occurrence. When I'm not trying to eek the most mileage out of a tank, I go as fast as the road/traffic/speedpolice will let me.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I ride in 6th at 40... if I'm just cruising down the Boston Post Rd (Edit: A.K.A. Route 1) with a lot of cars around. Why waste the gas when traffic prohibits you from going any faster? Granted, when the conditions permit, 60 in second is a common occurrence. When I'm not trying to eek the most mileage out of a tank, I go as fast as the road/traffic/speedpolice will let me.
With 15/48 combo and traffic moving steady @40 mph I could see that.
With stock 16/46 40 mph in 6th gear would lug the engine something awlful.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
You're missing the point of it.

They don't take this measurement because they think someone might actually make a habit of doing this; they take it simply because it tells you something.
Yes it tells me that someone was in the wrong gear for a given bike.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts

I like to be in the proper gear that allows maximum acceleration, should I need to get out of a dicey situation. I did not buy a motorcycle to save gas. I bought it to HAVE FUN!

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
+1 on WOT @ 40MPH in 6th w/ stock gearing probably lugging the engine...dunno, never tried that.

oh rennsport, I suppose dry weights and crank HP figures are worthless as well...afterall, they are "utterly useless in the real world". No they are not just a marketing scheme...lol

21 - 40 of 44 Posts