Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read the spec sheet the fz6 can go 0 - 60 in like 4 secs. anyone actually got that?

i still cant believe a sub $10k bike, 600cc can beat / match a $100k+ supercar in straight accel. i know the bike is lighter but still...

·
Registered
616 Posts
i read the spec sheet the fz6 can go 0 - 60 in like 4 secs. anyone actually got that?

i still cant believe a sub $10k bike, 600cc can beat / match a $100k+ supercar in straight accel. i know the bike is lighter but still...
I think it's more important to worry about your 60 - 0 times.... Practising it may save your life one day:)...

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
No 0 to 60, but how about these figures?

1/8 track results
300 lb rider
full tank of fuel
2007 Sprint ST ABS
2500 miles on the clock

7.92 @ 90.45 mph
7.948 @91.46 mph
7.97 @91.16 mph
8.305 @ 90.59 mph
7.991 @91.8 mph - 5.354 seconds to 330 feet @72.63 mph (4 secs to 60mph? looks plausible)

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts

i still can't believe my sport tourer which weighs over 650 pounds with gas still has a quicker 0-60 time than the fz6... at 3.8 secs... not much, but still faster! :boink

·
Information Sponge
1,447 Posts
My Fz6 goes from 0 - 60 in about 10 seconds on average; I don't romp on her too hard, and I feel that going for a sub 4 second takeoff would be outside of my "comfortable zone."

- > I really think that in this situation, it's not about how fast you can accelerate, but rather about doing so safely and within your own limits. If you're a superbike champ, power to you; if however you are like me, and consider that type of acceleration to be "pushing it," and yourself a pleasure rider, enjoy actually seeing the sights as they pass by.

</.02>

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
It takes me 7.201 seconds to get to 98mph on my FZ6, thats my 1/8th time.

I have -1+2 gears, so my bike tops out at about 60mph in first, actual speed. Here is that run on video, I shift at redline: 8.18 dragway - Video
I took a stopwatch and measured the time on video from me to go from a standing start to 2nd gear, which should nicely approximate 0-60 time, and I get somewhere around 2.8.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2.8 secs!!! damn. oh i forgot to mention. im not gonna attempt a fast take off at all. im just wondering thats all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It takes me 7.201 seconds to get to 98mph on my FZ6, thats my 1/8th time.

I have -1+2 gears, so my bike tops out at about 60mph in first, actual speed. Here is that run on video, I shift at redline: 8.18 dragway - Video
I took a stopwatch and measured the time on video from me to go from a standing start to 2nd gear, which should nicely approximate 0-60 time, and I get somewhere around 2.8.
oh btw, which rpm did you take off at? had you gone higher would you have wheelied? thanks.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Anytime I tried to launch any harder than that, I ended up in a wheelie to about halfway down the track.

I launch at about 8-9k. Feather the clutch as I steadily increase throttle. If I do it right, it should sound like the revs stay steady at 8-9k until the clutch is engaged fully. If you do it like this, you are putting a steady amount of power down and not jerking the front end up, which ruins drag times. Basically, if you let the clutch out abruptly or put on too much throttle initially, you'll pull the front wheel up and won't be able to accelerate as fast as you could if you had the wheel down. Body position is also important, keep the legs down and back and the head down and it lowers the CG and makes it easier to feel how light the front end is getting. It is also more aerodynamic, but that doesnt matter much for me since I'm naked anyways.

Fastest 60ft I got was like 1.74 or maybe a little less.

Here is one of me at another track (first drag trackday I ever went to!) desperately trying to control the off-the-line wheelies YouTube - drag racing. My problem in that video was bad body position, my feet are on the pegs too early and I'm too upright.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
They don't build those $100k supercars to go fast in a straight line. They are built to handle a nice road with plenty of curves and most of them are geared for top end speed, which usually hurts their their 0-60 times...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
They don't build those $100k supercars to go fast in a straight line. They are built to handle a nice road with plenty of curves and most of them are geared for top end speed, which usually hurts their their 0-60 times...
It also helps that we can hit 60 in first gear. That means no time lost shifting.

The 600's 0-60 times are generally pretty close to the b***** bikes (750's, liters, etc) because it's all about putting the power to the pavement. The same goes for cars. They may have gobs of HP and torque, but wheel spin is their enemy.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
It also helps that we can hit 60 in first gear. That means no time lost shifting.

The 600's 0-60 times are generally pretty close to the b***** bikes (750's, liters, etc) because it's all about putting the power to the pavement. The same goes for cars. They may have gobs of HP and torque, but wheel spin is their enemy.
Exactly, 0-60 times are about the same for most supersports, this is because we all generally have the same wheelbase (doesnt go for hypersports like the busa and zx-14) and all of our bikes will willingly wheelie all the way to 60 with just power alone. Beyond 60 or so, the 600s will keep on the ground, but the 1000s will have power to wheelie to 100 or so when their first gear runs out.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Interesting to see that I got a better 0-60 time than a magazine test. I also got a better 0-100 time, by a long shot.

It couldn't all be because of -1+2 gearing...

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
Hell I got terrible 60 foot times (2.0-2.2 seconds) and I was still running consistent 12.0 second 1/4 miles. 99.99999% of the cars running around toronto won't be able to beat that. Which is why $8500 satisfies my need for power far more than any of my cars ever did...

Now, to do some lapping days this year.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts