Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just wondering if anyone boxes.

Im going to get into it for fitness to help break up my normal work outs...

And i have always thought it was fun.

If you do, what do you do to train?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I boxed on a team for about 4 years wound up being 10-2 with 5 KO's, great to keep you in shape, good for anger mgmt, etc...hurt(broke) my thumb then my ribs. Nothing better on TV than a great fight on a Sat night.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey got a few questions for you

Do people ever take boxing lessons just to know how (for self defense i guess)
Do i just go to the gym and ask for lessons from them?? I guess im just wondering because some of my friends have been jumped not all that long ago. A lot of weirdos out there that dont even know you and just want your money i guess. I guess knowing how to box would come in handy if this would ever happen plus it could keep me in shape like stated above. Im not really interested in sparring though.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
yes you can take lessons. i boxed for a little over a year but stopped when i went off to college. it's very good to keep you in shape. id spar, hit the heavy bag for 3 min, 1 min break...then 3 min...id also run which is necesarry to be able to go for 3 min straight. go to a gym and get some training, it's worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We just put up a heavy bag at my work this week. My cousin/co-worker is training up to box in a local league. He is scary fast for a heavyweight. Hurts to hold the bag for him lol. But if you decide to do any boxing for sport as opposed to self defense, then don't forget to work on endurance. Run and jump rope in addition to bag, strength, and speed training.

Also, for self defense, boxing may not be the best choice for preparing for a street fight. There are no foreign objects allowed in boxing, and you don't get to use much other than your fists. Unfortunately, theres usually not anyone to ref a street fight, so anything is game...

If self defense is what you're looking for, you may want to try one of the martial arts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i used to box, check to see if there's a local boxing gym near your house, or you can get boxing equipment cheap and set it up in your backyard or garage. speed bags and punching bags are dirt cheap. also imo boxing is more mental than physical believe it or not, its like chess, you gotta anticipate your opponents next move and think ahead, if you do it in anger it'll just bite you in the ass. also its probably the most hardest physical sport ever, you gotta have the endurance of a cross country runner, the speed of a track sprinter and having the size of a running back wouldnt hurt either

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
May I suggest Muai Thai Kick Boxing?

I did it for 3 years, and miss it sooooooooo much. Hella fun, but if you want to get anything out of it you have to be extremely committed. Not only did I train 3 days a week, 4-5 hours each day, I ran 2+ miles every day, and had a very strict diet. You have to get used to having something broken or hurt, and having bruises all the time, which, as a girl, isn't the most attractive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My gym has a lot of boxing stuff (speedbag, heavybag etc etc) great for just starting out.

I hung a heavybag in my house too, just so I can practice.

Look for a boxing gym near you. There is one near me and thats all they do. They have a ring, set you up with lessons a trainer etc. It's a great workout and very useful to know!

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
I agree with kickboxing, i did Muai Thai for a couple years, and it will whip you into shape fast. and if you are looking for self-defense, kickboxing is good for that too. you learn the basics of boxing, but with kicks and elbows. and it is relatively easy to get started. even though sparring helps you learn better, i don't think that it is completely necessary in kickboxing.

thoguht this is worth mentioning, a guy at my gym got jumped by 3 guys, and he ended up breaking one of their noses, knocking the other out, and the third dude ran away. this guy was a REALLY good fighter, but still, it is a good skill to have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would suggest Krav Maga, Israeli combat fighting. For self defense it is one of the best methods available. Just be prepared to get bruised

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi there. I boxed for three years a while back. Its about the best way to get in shape. Got me in the best shape of my life. You learn a lot of things. A lot of life lessons too. See if you can find a gym. Get some lessons. That way there you dont get bad habits. Always wrap your hands. Always wear good gloves.

The thin ones are shit. If you can get actual 12oz or 14oz gloves. Your hands will thank you :)

If you cant wait and you have a heavy bag.. Make sure you stretch out well before hitting it. The soreness will be much worse the day after if you dont.
Start at about half speed and power. Once you get your endurance up its a great workout.

Get some lessons, be careful and have fun with it. :)

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts