Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has any opinions or experiences with buying a bike on Ebay. Ive seen some really amazing deals Ie 04 R1 for $3000 with 1700miles. So it begs the quesiton :To good to be true?

holla

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
This topic comes up every week. A search would have yielded your answer.

But since you asked, they are SCAMS! RUN, do not walk, away from these. Why would anyone in their right mind sell a $9-10k bike for only $3k? Think about it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
never bought one.. but i sold one.. dont know if that counts..

·
Registered
725 Posts
I bought a Brand new Aprilia Falco for $7500 Recieved it in less than 2 weeks with .2km on the odometer. THe local Stealership wanted $13,900

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too bought a Ducati 999 from ebay. The seller happened to be a bonafied dealer in Texas ( I live in FL) After a week of dealing, I got a GREAT deal and the bike was shipped to my local Ducati dealer. Needless to say I was pleased as punch. Dont know if I would spend that type of cash unless it was a dealer in the first place..... YMMV

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought one off ebay....I would not do it if I couldnt go get the bike and pay in person which is how I did mine....drove 5 hours....looked at it, then paid with cashier's check and took it home

·
Registered
325 Posts
jasfrmn said:
I bought one off ebay....I would not do it if I couldnt go get the bike and pay in person which is how I did mine....drove 3 hours....looked at it, then paid with cashier's check and took it home
+1 same thing I did. If you feel wierd email the person ask them why they are selling, did they change the oil, has it been dropped, could you send me more pic's. Then go look at it. I figured although legal binding contract if the goods are misrepresented then the contract is void. Driving six hours or whatever to save 1000 or more is worth it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If it's too good to be true, it likely is.

Listen, compare the prices to nada.com or kbb.com and see what you can expect to pay. There's no such thing as a '04 R1 for only $3k. It either doesn't exist or is a piece of scrap metal with a salvage title.

If you think the deal is still good, e-mail him with questions abovementioned, or better yet, go see/ talk to the guy in person.

Btw, I did buy my current bike off ebay. The seller was 20 min. away and I drove over, talked it over, examined the bike, etc. I recommend you do the same.

·
Jake_GSXR_1000
207 Posts
I bought my old FZR off ebay about 2 years ago. The seller was about 30 mins or so away from me so I had made contact with him and asked if I could come to see it and such. So I went and looked at it and rode it. Gave him the cash and then loaded it up in the truck and brought it home.

The seller also was pretty cool and we keep in contact. I think we have bought about 3 or 4 bikes from him in the last year or so and he has bought parts off me for stuff too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bought my CBR F2 and Sold it again on Ebay. However in the process of looking for a new bike this time around I found about 8 scams....mostly to good to be true. Turns out the replies I got to my questions were all in the same format with a similar story "I am located in XXXX (someplace in Europe) and I will ship it directly to you using Ebay Square trade as my escrow service." These are all scams since Ebay Square trade is not an escrow service and never takes money in any way for goods.

So you can find good bikes out there, just watch for the scams and ask lots of pointed questions. I found they sent the same reply back to me no matter what question I asked them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have both bought and sold bikes on Ebay. Bought a brand new 2003 R1 for $8400 that was being sold by a dealer in Alabama. Great transaction, picked it up with my Yammy card. In and out in under 30 mins.

I've also sold my wife's Ninja 250 on Ebay. A kid from Louisiana bought it as a first bike to ride to and from College. It had some minor damage/scratches, but he was very happy with it and the price.

Bottom line, ebay is just a venue for buyers to meet sellers. I don't trust it in any other aspect. Don't buy unless you can pick it up, and only if the seller is upfront and easy to contact. With something as expensive as a bike, pay in person within a reasonable time from the auction's end. I wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't want to deal in person, and shipping costs will more often then not defeat the purpose of using Ebay in the first place (price).

Just be careful and you'll be fine. Simply put, don't pay till you have a title & bike in hand, which means conducting the transaction in person.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bought my first bike off ebay. Just make sure you have alot of communication with the seller. If you can't call him then it's not worth your time.

Don't travel too far. If the bike is not how the seller described it, it's easier to walk away from the deal if you haven't travelled far. Make sure you at least see the seller ride the bike if not yourself.

Bring a truck or trailer. Don't ride it back, it could break down and get you stranded.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I bought my bike off E-Bay, a guy in salt lake had it, called him and asked about it, drove up and checked it out, he said it had been profesionally detailed but was really dirty, told him to knock 100 off the price, gave him 2000 cash and loaded it into the back of the truck. damn, that story reminds me why I love my bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts