Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about picking up an open face helmet to use on hot days when I'm just riding around town in traffic. I've never used one so I'm wondering what experiences others here have had with them.

I'm a bit reluctant to give up my chinbar, but when riding around town in my full face my visor is always open trying to get more air in. I wouldn't be doing speeds in it where a bug or rock to the face would hurt too much.

The other alternative is a modular helmet, but they seem heavy and unwieldy with the huge mass of chinbar on top of your head like a parachute while riding with it open.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Nope.

My aunt (a nurse) had a medical term for what happens when you tear your jaw off of your face going over the bars. I don't know what it is nor do I have any intention of finding out so its all full face all of the time.

If you look, there is something like a 60% probability of hitting the chin area in a crash, so wearing a 3/4 or half lid is barely better than going bare headed.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I've been thinking about picking up an open face helmet to use on hot days when I'm just riding around town in traffic. I've never used one so I'm wondering what experiences others here have had with them.

I'm a bit reluctant to give up my chinbar, but when riding around town in my full face my visor is always open trying to get more air in. I wouldn't be doing speeds in it where a bug or rock to the face would hurt too much.

The other alternative is a modular helmet, but they seem heavy and unwieldy with the huge mass of chinbar on top of your head like a parachute while riding with it open.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You have a clear (until it gets scratched) face shield that will stop all the bugs that come your way. If the bug is big enough to get through your face shield, then it will probably decapitate you. Which will make any arguments over helmet types moot.
As a note, most professional riders (anyone that rides a motorcycle 40 hours a week for pay) mostly use open face or half helmets. That is because the chance of needing a full face helmet is much lower then the loss of SA that full face brings to the party.
Are you an active rider? Is your head on a swivel? Do you do an 180 degree scan or as close as you can get every couple of seconds? If so, you will love the lighter helmet.
If you ride like you are the only one out there, eye fook'in you insturment panel to see how fast you are going then you really need a full face.
I wouldn't know about rocks. I don't ride where I can get hit by rocks. Rocks are not all that fast. Without 3rd party effort, they tend to just lay around. So if my rapid scanning system spots a 3rd party that could direct rocks my way, I leave. Sometimes rapidly, sometimes not, depending. :meangreen

·
Registered
729 Posts
Before you use an open face helmet, I suggest you google open face helmet motorcyle injuries and look at some images. I won't post pics here.

You might also consider what it would feel like to hold a running angle grinder against your nose.

Reactions: F4sSprintST

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

I use open face helmet if i ride moped, on anything faster full face.
Why are you assuming the impact percentages would be the same on open face helmets? Why not a direct comparison, open face to full face.
Then there is SA. Situation Awarness. It's the one you don't see that gets you. Motorcyclists and motorcycles survive by being lighter, faster, nimbler then the predators after them.
If you believe in full protection, why not a Hummer, or a MRAP? No motorcycle will win a collision with a 3,000 pound vehicle. Doesn't matter what is on your head. Your advantage is in vectoring (changing direction and speed) to avoid the collision.
My argument is that reducing the SA will increase the chances of a collision that no helmet can withstand. To me, you are saying that you can see and hear just as well from a full face as a half face. I doubt that.:dafuk

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Before you use an open face helmet, I suggest you google open face helmet motorcyle injuries and look at some images. I won't post pics here.

You might also consider what it would feel like to hold a running angle grinder against your nose.
Leading with your chin is never a good idea.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
wanna tell me a way to not "lead with your chin" in a frontal accident?

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Then there is SA. Situation Awarness. It's the one you don't see that gets you. Motorcyclists and motorcycles survive by being lighter, faster, nimbler then the predators after them.
If you believe in full protection, why not a Hummer, or a MRAP?
By that logic, why not NO helmet then?

As far as seeing and hearing, at highway speed with a full face you are doing hearing damage after about 15 minutes. I'm 100% ear plugs now. Good for hearing? Nope, not so much

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
wanna tell me a way to not "lead with your chin" in a frontal accident?
Avoid the accident. If you do go down, tuck your chin into your chest. I always flip over onto my back, with my chin tucked and my hands in my armpits.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Avoid the accident. If you do go down, tuck your chin into your chest. I always flip over onto my back, with my chin tucked and my hands in my armpits.
That sounds like a great, GREAT way to end up rolling. Which sounds like a great way to increase your chances of neck damage.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
You do give up some protection, obviously, for the extra wind and open feeling. I used to use an openface helmet for around town sometimes, and on the old scooters for a proper vintage look. I don't anymore, mostly because my wife made a strong request that I don't.

I do ride with my visor open almost all the time. I only keep the visor on the helmet at all because of the occasional gravel truck or bee swarm.

It's all about your personal risk tolerance. I love the feeling of openness, and would be having the most fun riding without a helmet at all, but that's above my risk tolerance, so I wear my helmet.

PhilB

·
Registered
312 Posts
Why are you assuming the impact percentages would be the same on open face helmets? Why not a direct comparison, open face to full face.
I didn't notice the study was about full face helmets only, so i assumed percentages are the same even without helmet. If there are studies about open face helmet being safer on high speeds, please let me know.

To me, you are saying that you can see and hear just as well from a full face as a half face. I doubt that.:dafuk
I wasn't saying that. At low speeds in city it could be possible to hear and see better with open face helmet, but i don't usually ride at such places on motorcycle.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Check out the Nolan Air helmet. (I think it is called Nolan Trilogy here in the US, but I ordered mine from an overseas website and had it shipped to me.) It has a very thin, removable chinbar, but passes the impact tests of a full-face when the chinbar is in place. I got it for the full ventilation and the full field of view and I love it. I have never bothered to remove the chinbar.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The way I see it, yes, an open-face is tempting as can be for around-town riding.

The problem is, it's the around-town riding that's likely to hand you an accident. So, ironically, the time when you crave the open-face helmet the most, is the time that you really want to avoid it altogether.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Some of the replies...:rant
If you want one, get one. My first bike came with an open face helmet and I used it for a while, but they get hot on your head, too. Another thing I didn't like was it had a tendency to lift on my head on the highway even with a shield on it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts