Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My intention all along was to take the DMV's riding test on my own sportbike but everybody I talk to says it's not possible. Apparently there is a portion of the test which requires the rider to navigate a circle while staying inbetween two sets of cones. From what I understand the circumference of the circle is too tight for a sportbike. True/false?

Does anybody know if that test can be passed on a sportbike or is it advisable to rent a cruiser bike for the test?

·
loner
201 Posts
get a scooter... i took mine on an F2, and the slalom was very difficult. i was the only one out of six guys on sportbikes to pass, and i was standing on it like a dirtbike to make that last corner. right after i passed, some dude on a scooter whipped through it without breaking a sweat.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Passed it on an F4i... put my foot down once.. they passed me anyway.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The test is different in different States (and sometimes at different DMV's within a State). Post your question in the local southern California forum and you should get some feedback from other locals about the California test. From what I know, I wouldn't say it's impossible on a sportbike, but I have no doubt that it would be easier on something like a Rebel 250.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Passed it on my 04 R1 w/o any issues.

-EDIT-

Just re-read your post, and it is more than likely a left hand turn to make it even harder. Just use body counter-steer to keep the bike stable in the turn. You will need to use your body english to make the bike stay in the circle w/o falling. i.e. when turning left in that tight circle, you will need to lean right with you body and balance the bike.

It is easy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I took the DMV test here in Illinois on my F4i. I had put maybe 10 miles on it before I took the test, and I passed the test the 1st time. I think we are allowed several points, like 10 or 12, and I got 5 pts so it was no problem.

Their test is really not suited for a 600cc or b***** sportbike. One of the funniest things is where you have about 10-15yds to take off, shift to 2nd, shift back to 1st, and stop. My engine was being lugged when I was in 2nd, I'd hate to see how a new R1 would be since they can supposedly go 104mph in 1st. Basically you just upshift and downshift without even letting out the clutch.

Several of the new kids around here that are riding don't even have a license. They are all idiots and can stay away from me.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
passed it on my 93 gixxer600, no probs

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I took the ERC (Experienced Rider Course). It was a 1 day course that goes over all sorts of situations. It is half classroom and half riding. At the end of the day they give you a skill evaluation. If you pass (In MA at least i know this is true) then you don't have to take the DMV test and you get your license through the course. I recommend this way, especially if you already have riding experience. You will definatley pick up a thing or two from the course. You get your license and save 10% on your insurance to.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
In CA the DMV test includes (among other things, but this is the hardest on a sportbike) a circle of diameter 24 feet with double lines. You must ride 2 full turns in each direction keeping your front wheel within the lines and not putting a foot down. My bike has a 22 foot minimum turning diameter at full lock. It isn't easy. I "rented" a Rebel 250 and it was a piece of cake, but I had to counter-lean and drag some rear brake.

If you're curious, go down to your local DMV, find their circle in the parking lot, and try it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I passed it on an ex-500 there were a few parts that would have been MUCH easier on a scooter or dual sport dirtbike.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
i did it on my gixxer but they just followed me around a block of the DMV.. no complicating manuevering there

·
Registered
238 Posts
I took the MSF class which exempts you from the DMV course in PA. My wife did the same in NY. Worth looking into - it teaches you the right way to progress as a rider IMHO.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Jeez, your tests are strict. In VA they just let me ride around the street in front of the dmv and passed me with no problem. I think I had 100 miles under my belt on my old f3 when I passed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I bought my 250 ninja the day before i took my test. I rode it from the dealer to home. Slept. Rode from home to the DMV test site. Took the test, passed with flying colors no deductions.

I think I had been on the bike a total of 10 minutes in my life before taking the test. It came naturally to me.

Of course I took the MSF a day after that. Instructor asked how long I had been riding. He didn't believe me when I told him less than 3 hours.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow I hope its not hard for sportbikes in ohio. I want to take the msf...but they are closed out the rest of the year, and my temps expire in october!!(didnt know you have a year from when you purchase the packet) :(

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Bikerdude said:
I had never ridden my bike until we took it out of the van at the DMV. Hopped on it, took the test and passed no problem.
So are you saying you never rode a bike before the test? Or you just never rode THAT bike before?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Passed it on my old 97 Ninga 600. It's tough, but no where near impossible

1 - 20 of 64 Posts