Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with the blue bike know what I am talking about, the plastic pieces that arent painted are a deep purple metallic. I have never been very fond of that color, that and the fact that plastic scratches very easily. Went to color-rite.com and ordered up a rattle can of 865 and a can of clearcoat. Removed the front fender and small side fenders, wet sanded them down with 800 then some 1500 or so. Gave them all 3 coats of color and they turned out great! Then came the clearcoat, I didnt get such good results, so after it dried I sanded the clear off and took them to a body shop my company uses. They sprayed the clear and it turned out pretty well. Next may be the whole front fairing or hugger, although it will require buying another can of color.

This was an easy, inexpensive modification, for those interested. The paint and sandpaper were less than $50.00, the clearcoat at the body shop shouldnt be that expensive, just find a body shop you know of, and ask them if they could clearcoat a couple parts next time they are in the spraybooth. Its not a showbike, Maaco would be fine. If you screw up, the small fenders (minus decals) are under $50.00 for both, the front fender is a little more expensive at ~$130.00, the whole front fairing plus the two panels are under $200.00 retail.

Already ordered my exhaust gaskets, this fall I am going to have my exhaust HiPerCoated (hpcoatings.com) in polished aluminum, and that should finish it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
Looks Good

Looking Good....
I was also thinking of ordering up a can and doing my rear hugger but just haven't got around to ordering up the paint yet. How was the match ?
After seeing yours I think I will have to order that can tomorrow :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WTVa said:
Looking Good....
I was also thinking of ordering up a can and doing my rear hugger but just haven't got around to ordering up the paint yet. How was the match ?
After seeing yours I think I will have to order that can tomorrow :D
I meant to put that in the post. The color match was excellent. Of course it will never be exact, but its so close you cant tell. We have all seen those cars on the road where one door on the car is lighter/darker than the rest of the car because the paint isnt exact, however I find it easier to match the colors when you dont have two identical panes meeting up/butting up to each other (i.e. the car doors). The surfaces on the bike are all on different angles as well, so the light hits them differently too.

As for the hugger, after I posted, I went outside and gave it a looksee. My concern is that it is VERY flexible! While the paint/clearcoat does flex, I dont think the clearcoat will hold on the hugger without a flex additive. I am not an expert in this area, so I will need to place a phone call about this tomorrow. As in my post, you may want to have it clearcoated by a paint shop, however small parts (i.e. bar-end weights) you could use color-rites clearcoat with great results. Then again, maybe it was just me with my make-shift 'paint booth' in my garage or lousy technique that produced the poor results.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
That looks really good Jason! You have taken care of the only real problem that I have with the prettier blue bike. Now if you could do something to make it as fast as the silver ones.... :lol
I too have thought about painting my hugger. I even bought the silver paint from color-rite. Wish you'd try it and let me know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FAZR6 said:
That looks really good Jason! You have taken care of the only real problem that I have with the prettier blue bike. Now if you could do something to make it as fast as the silver ones.... :lol
I too have thought about painting my hugger. I even bought the silver paint from color-rite. Wish you'd try it and let me know.
Thanks for the compliment!

Give that hugger a try, I'm out of paint until my new can arrives, you can be the guinea pig! Just keep the bugs out of the clear!

Jason

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update-

Since the above pictures I have painted the hugger silver with color matched paint from colorite.com. I also fashioned some "frame plugs" to cover-up those ugly holes in the frame for the swingarm attachment points. I used the same paint that I used for the hugger for the frame plugs. I installed some OEM FZ6 decals carefully cut with an exacto knife and installed them on the side panels where they were before I painted them. I then had those clearcoated over as well.

Its hard to tell, but the purple front fairing is now black! I ordered and installed the same plastic panels the silver bike use, so now, no more purple! On a side note, I have the front fairing and 2 inside panels for sale should anyone be interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow, looks good in photo, but I'm sure that in person it's amazing. I was apposed to the blue because of the purple on it. Nice work.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Looks hella sweet... wouldnt mind doing it for mine as i have the naked and the only painted part of the bike is the fuel tank... I love the look of the grab rails and side guards painted up they make the bike look so...so complete...

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Nice. I have to agree with ripthenightopen, the only reason i didnt get the blue bike is cause im not fond of the purple on them. Im willing to bet you if you could buy an extra set of fenders and grabrails, you could have yourself a little business of selling painted huggers and grabrails with exchange.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
kdk1899 said:
Nice. I have to agree with ripthenightopen, the only reason i didnt get the blue bike is cause im not fond of the purple on them. Im willing to bet you if you could buy an extra set of fenders and grabrails, you could have yourself a little business of selling painted huggers and grabrails with exchange.
I second that and those frame plugs are a GREAT idea. I'd bet some people here would like a set of those as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts