Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad was telling me he has a client in town here who is opening up a bike shop that sells chinese motorcycles :dunno . I asked him what kind of bikes they were. He said he didnt know. (they're all "death Traps" to my father). I asked what they looked like, he said "they look like yours. I'm assuming this means they are sportbikes. He said this is one of the first US stores that is going to sell these things. Anybody ever heard of chinese motorcycles, know anything about them?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
From that posted website on the Hyosung, those bikes don't sound too bad. They'll probably be pretty cheap from being the new guy in town, and korean parts aren't too expensive when built. But I think repairs might be a little costly, any other input on the Hyosung? That site pretty much compares them to their cousins and the reviews aren't bad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought one on Ebay last year, it was a 150cc enduro. It wasn't too bad, ran pretty good. I think I paid around $1300 for it delivered.

I owned a bike about 12yrs earlier and thought it would be a good way to start riding again, trouble was I liked it but the bike was under powered so I upgraded to a FZ6.

Robb

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Vrod look alike might be fun to have in the garage next to my CBR. How much do those things cost? Also, Comet 650. . .is that supposed to look like a Ducati?

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Hyosung seems like the Hyundai of the bike industry. They built Suzuki-engined bikes under contrract for a while, then branched out in to their own Suzuki-based designs, just like Hyundai did in the late '80's with the Mitsubishi Precis turned Hyundai Excel. It's taken 20 years for the Hyundais to get the level of refinement up to par with the Japanese equivalents though.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
KevinTheCake said:
HAHAHAHA

http://www.vento.com

A 150cc cruiser.
Check out the specifications -
Front Brake - Disco
Rear Brake - Disco

I think that it is going to use reflected light to slow it down, or maybe a pair of bell bottoms will get cought in the chain and bring the bike to a painful stop.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The most common motorcycle in China is Jialing motorcycles (pics below), they are most commonly used by motorcycle taxis, and people without a lot of money. The motorcycles are very simple and by today's standards are pretty crappy. Most of the middle upper class people who can afford it ride imported motorcycles.

Attachments

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
Well, people have gotta move. Forty years ago people were laughing at those cheap "Jap motor-sickles"

·
Like Bing and Bong
795 Posts
I would never be interested in one.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Currently I own two, the U2 150 and my scooter.

Ignorants think they are junk.

Specially ignorants that think that everyone can afford the same as a person from a 1st world country. If you took a look at 125cc-250cc Suzukis, Hondas and Kawasakis you would notice they are basically the same kind of "junk" as the Chinese motorcycles, but overpriced and with a nice badge.

People with a little bit of knowledge about motorcycles can realize they are extremely good value for the money you pay for them. They are well engineered (most of them are Japanese licensed designs), a little bit lacking in terms of fit and finish and thats it.

Obviously, if you think that a literbike is a must to get around town, you'll think that a Honda CG125 designed in the late 70's will be a piece of junk, now if you remove the Honda badge and use a Chinese bagde, it will lower it status to even junkier than junk.

Yes, people that can afford it ride imported bikes in China, not because Chinese bikes are bad, just because they are mostly 50cc-250cc bikes (I think only LiFan manufactures a 400cc cruiser) and if they can afford it, they buy b***** bikes that can't be bought from Chinese manufacturers.

By now I'll keep riding my Chinese P.O.S. U2 150cc that has served me well for 19,000kms, without any issues.

By the way Hyosung are not chinese, they are Korean, and despite all that is being told about them, they build Suzuki licensed designs. They are Suzuki's budget brand for the 3rd world. If you didn't knew about it, well, it is true, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda have made aliances with many smaller companies to be able to compete against the chinese in the 3rd world. Hyosung is Suzuki's effort, Yamaha's is Kinetic, Kawasaki has Kymco and Bajaj and Honda has Hero-Honda and there are others that scape my mind right now.

"Jialing" are the most common??? LiFan and Quianjang are making more motorcycles and engines than "Jialing" by quite a good margin, and LiFan has now entered the automovile and bus markets!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Couple of pictures. Can you notice both of them are basically the same? Difference is the Chinese POS has alloy wheels, tachometer and is $500 less than the Honda.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You guys are really misguided in your theories. The Hyosung bikes that are now being imported in the US are the exact same as a 2000 model Sv650. It is actually the exact same motor too. They look really good in person. The problem is they are only a few hundred cheaper than the SV. Has a headlight like a Ducati. There is a GT650 and GT650R. The R is the fully faired the non R is faired like the SV650. My local dealership carries them. He said they would have parts and also be servicing them. Read this australian article if you want more background and why the have Suzuki parts on them. http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/ARR_VOL30.html

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah, i was just about to ask that. almost all chinese cars that i know of use japanese engines. is that the same case with the bikes?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TAYAKO is the motorcycle company. They dont have the knock off Chinese V-rod, but they have some knock off old BMW's. . .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts