Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have just internet through Time warner cable. Pay $42/mo for their fastest available, with no clear restrictions.
I've seen 30megabit down/5megabit up pretty regularly, which is as advertised.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I have just internet through COX Cable, but I would have to get back to you on the monthly rates. The company keeps getting bought out and then they buy themselves back so it kinda fluctuates due to the network outages trying to convert and revert between whose servers to go through.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have just internet through my neighbor's wifi :D not the best signal but I can play xbox live and get netflix. Who needs cable/home phone

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just internet here through Time Warner. No restrictions that I've run into/know of, I download lots of stuff and stream video quite often with no issues.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I've had just internet for like 5 years. No issues. Time warner right now. 30down/5up. It's not as fast as that, but that's mostly during peak hours and I've had it less than a week, so I dunno...

Side note- there's no filter on my cable line, so if I hook it up to a tv I get 90 channels for free. :)

Reactions: dveldt

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
We have a group rate through our HOA with Brighthouse cable, so I'm paying for basic cable and whatnot anyway. So for an extra $40/mo upgrade, i get the 15/10 internet, digital cable, and a DVR. Cable has yet to go out once since I moved in, almost 4 years ago.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a 6MB UP connection through a company that is local to this area. $55 a month and I have a two way radio mounted on my roof that talks to another one mounted on the grain elevator in town about 2.5 -3 miles away.

On the bright side, it's unlimited up and down.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Shit ass Comcast for $72 a month. 250 Gig limit before they throttle or sacrifice kittens or something. There is no reason for cable anymore at all! I watch what I want, when I want.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I use Comcast. I have no complaints. The service is great and it's pretty damn fast.
^ me for 2 years solid.

I was mostly pleased- I paid like 60+ bucks a month for it- and then complained because I couldn't pay and they brought it down to like 28/month for me as a "special" lasted like 6-9 months- I moved out shortly after I think- all was well in the world.

Verizon now- and I mostly use the internet- there is TV- but I'm pretty much on the internet all the time though- it's just easier. if I'm not at the bar watching the games- I'll watch them on the TV (having a nice TV is motivation to use the internet) but really I just use the interwebz. :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I've had just internet for like 5 years. No issues. Time warner right now. 30down/5up. It's not as fast as that, but that's mostly during peak hours and I've had it less than a week, so I dunno...

Side note- there's no filter on my cable line, so if I hook it up to a tv I get 90 channels for free. :)
Yeah, I was hoping they'd forget the filter, but they didn't. bastards.

I have just Time Warner internet, and mine's about the same as the rest. I haven't run across any restrictions here or even at my last two places with them, and I'm pretty heavy on the torrenting, especially without having free cable. I've had a couple of buddys with comcast get cease and desist letters for torrenting, so not sure if that's what you mean by restrictions.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Shit ass Comcast for $72 a month. 250 Gig limit before they throttle or sacrifice kittens or something. There is no reason for cable anymore at all! I watch what I want, when I want.
Not sure if it is so in your area, but Comcast in MD has suspended enforcement of the 250 GB limit pending the implementation of a new tiered system of limits based on service level. You may want to check into it.

To the question, just internet here. Comcast, and it runs $67.XX a month for their mid range plan. I use a Roku for TV.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah, I was hoping they'd forget the filter, but they didn't. bastards.

I have just Time Warner internet, and mine's about the same as the rest. I haven't run across any restrictions here or even at my last two places with them, and I'm pretty heavy on the torrenting, especially without having free cable. I've had a couple of buddys with comcast get cease and desist letters for torrenting, so not sure if that's what you mean by restrictions.
Yeah, I've never got any letters, and 95%+ of my bandwidth is torrents. But it's not illegal to use the bittorrent protocol, and they can't see what I'm downloading, so if they DID send me letters, I would just ignore them.

And on the filter- they put it on at the last place, and I promptly removed it because there was no box cover. They came and put the cover on later, and didn't install the filter. Later, the neighbors had TWC installed and they accidentally disconnected my line, so when they came to hook it back up they put on a filter and locked the box. Assholes.

At the NEW place, it comes straight from the pole underground up to my house.... since there's no green junction box, there's no place to put a filter (if they put it on my house, I can legally just remove it, but they didn't).

On sunday I took the TV into the closet where the modem is (little 19" tv to test) and sure enough- I get all the channels. So I need to wire up coax cable through my house to get it to my main tv. Just to watch the games, pretty much. And to have something on in the background while I work on the house.

TWC is a fucking WHORE to deal with, though. I hate their fucking guts. They have good internet, though... and at my house it's either THAT, or something like 1/5 as good. So I begrudgingly put up with them. I'm hoping AT&T runs fiber soon... because when they do I'm going Uverse and never looking back. I had the option at the apartment I just moved out of, but you have to sign a 1 year contract and I knew I was moving so I didn't get it.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
No home phone or pay TV here - just internet. Been that way for ~ 10 years.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Yeah, I've never got any letters, and 95%+ of my bandwidth is torrents. But it's not illegal to use the bittorrent protocol, and they can't see what I'm downloading, so if they DID send me letters, I would just ignore them.

And on the filter- they put it on at the last place, and I promptly removed it because there was no box cover. They came and put the cover on later, and didn't install the filter. Later, the neighbors had TWC installed and they accidentally disconnected my line, so when they came to hook it back up they put on a filter and locked the box. Assholes.

At the NEW place, it comes straight from the pole underground up to my house.... since there's no green junction box, there's no place to put a filter (if they put it on my house, I can legally just remove it, but they didn't).

On sunday I took the TV into the closet where the modem is (little 19" tv to test) and sure enough- I get all the channels. So I need to wire up coax cable through my house to get it to my main tv. Just to watch the games, pretty much. And to have something on in the background while I work on the house.

TWC is a fucking WHORE to deal with, though. I hate their fucking guts. They have good internet, though... and at my house it's either THAT, or something like 1/5 as good. So I begrudgingly put up with them. I'm hoping AT&T runs fiber soon... because when they do I'm going Uverse and never looking back. I had the option at the apartment I just moved out of, but you have to sign a 1 year contract and I knew I was moving so I didn't get it.
Well hope they dont get a clue from COX Cable. They didn't know what I was downloading until they caught someone downloading software from me and they sent me a letter that had the person, my computer down to the IP address, software, date and time and i think mac address. I played it safe and got rid of bitTorrents. Hopefully when I can figure out how to download through BitTorrents without letting others download from me (like I did with LimeWire and FrostWire) I will re-install BitTorrents.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Well hope they dont get a clue from COX Cable. They didn't know what I was downloading until they caught someone downloading software from me and they sent me a letter that had the person, my computer down to the IP address, software, date and time and i think mac address. I played it safe and got rid of bitTorrents. Hopefully when I can figure out how to download through BitTorrents without letting others download from me (like I did with LimeWire and FrostWire) I will re-install BitTorrents.
use utorrent if you're on a pc. it has an encrypt option that helps prevent these things. Also stick to private trackers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts