Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so from day one I have had this little aggravating vibration in the front end of my 9. Starts around 70-75 mph, you can actually look down thru the fairing and see the forks vibrate forward/backward in line with the bike. I took it back to the dealer when i first bought it and they test drove it and said it was just the stiff sport suspension and that they felt nothing abnormal. So thats the way its been. Well, 5 years later and numerous front tires, balances etc, it seems like its decided to get worse and more prominent now. My long haul ride last weekend I swore i could feel it getting worse, and even started to notice it slighty during cornering. Any one else experienced this on thier 9R??? I almost wonder if the damn rim is out of round. Any input appreciated ... Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would check: roundness of the rim, wheel balance, and wheel bearings. Can't be anything else, unless your forks were damaged jumping a curb, or something similar. Also - just as a precaution....check to see the nut at the steering head is properly torqued....
My '03 has gone 40,000 very smooth miles. You shouldn't have any vibes at speed that cannot be sourced to the engine.

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like an out of balance tire may have worn the fork bushings now. You may want to check those if everything else checks ok. You might want to inspect your frame also. They have a tendency to crack across the top when subjected to out of balance tires for long periods....Did the wheel get hammered at any point?

Sunshine

·
vroom vroom
490 Posts
check your brake rotors for being warped.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wow been a long time since i was here last. The problem turned out to be the tire itself. Dunlop D208, seems to be when they start cupping or knife edging from cornering and breaking forces, they tend to start giving a vibration. I put a new tire on the front and no more problem. Kind of sucks though in the fact that the old tire was not so much worn out, as it was just worn wierd. I have talked to a lot of people now who have experienced similiar issues with this same tire. Thanks to everyone for thier input and suggestions though.

I should note that this solved the PROMINANT vibration problem, the one where i was suddenly starting to notice it a LOT at speeds over 75 and under heavy cornering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts