Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my FZ6 for about 1k miles now and love it except for the abruptness when rolling on the throttle, makes smooth cornering very difficult and certainly doesn't inspire confindence. Love the bike, but was much smoother and faster on my old VFR. I'm thinking about getting in on the Lazer Quad deal and maybe a PCIII. Would this smooth things out at all or is it just me?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
It's a trait of the fuel injection. We all have (or had) the problem.

I believe a PCIII will smooth things out.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If you're talking about rolling on from a completely closed throttle, I don't think the PCIII will help smooth it out that much. At least, I don't remember it helping when I had one installed for a few months. Making sure you've got the chain slack adjusted just right helps a little. It's amazing how much just a little too much slack affects the drivetrain lash. Otherwise, you just have to get used to it and try to exaggerate the smoothness of your roll-on.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
It takes some getting used to. Feather the clutch until you get used to the quick throttle response. A little twitch fires the baby up!

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
I noticed mine was snatchy from closed to open. Power Commander sorted that out, now it's smooth smooth smooth.

·
Registered
583 Posts
a tight thottle cable helps........if you didnt tighten up the cable yet
your will be stretched out........i only takes a few seconds to do
try that first

·
Registered
702 Posts
I did a thread about this awhile back and the PC3 didnt help much on mine so i have to slip the clutch a bit, i think its bike dependant cause mine , chain is tight, has a sudden kick like 0 fuel then pop open throttle and the front jumps a bit. Does it when going fast and roll off and on but you dont notice it as much.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
vegasfz6 said:
Had my FZ6 for about 1k miles now and love it except for the abruptness when rolling on the throttle, makes smooth cornering very difficult and certainly doesn't inspire confindence. Love the bike, but was much smoother and faster on my old VFR. I'm thinking about getting in on the Lazer Quad deal and maybe a PCIII. Would this smooth things out at all or is it just me?

You will grow accustomed to it...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Me Me Me.. and I love it.. knowing the fact there is no "lag" between me twisting the throttle and the bike responding is great. It just requires a bit more finesse.

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
my throttle has been kinda jerky lately too. I was looking at my cables today and (im not sure if this is the throttle or not) on the bottom of the throttle assembly toward the front of the bike (second cable) mine was unscrewed some. I tightened it as far as it would go and it seemed to help out quite a bit.

I'm also wondering... What if I adjusted the idle up just a little and closed the gap. Wouldnt that solve the whole problem at the cost of slightly higher idle?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Damn_Yankee said:
my throttle has been kinda jerky lately too. I was looking at my cables today and (im not sure if this is the throttle or not) on the bottom of the throttle assembly toward the front of the bike (second cable) mine was unscrewed some. I tightened it as far as it would go and it seemed to help out quite a bit.

I'm also wondering... What if I adjusted the idle up just a little and closed the gap. Wouldnt that solve the whole problem at the cost of slightly higher idle?

Im not sure but for what several of us have I dont think so cause it when we roll onto the throttle it has a sudden pulse when it kicks in, high idle wouldnt help unless it was from shorter cable using the grip to increase the idle. :bitchslap

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Here's something you might want to try. Practice to make the smoothest throttles on possible with stock grips, give it say 2-3k miles. After getting used to it as stock, make the grips thicker (slip-on grips over stock grips). This will in effect smoothen your throttling by getting less throttle for the same amount of wrist movement. It's all in the wrist!

[edit] and proper gear selection, of course. Also try staying at the highest possible gear as possible commensurate to speed when cornering. Down shift after the curve to accelerate faster out of the curve/corner.

·
Registered
702 Posts
segue00 said:
Here's something you might want to try. Practice to make the smoothest throttles on possible with stock grips, give it say 2-3k miles. After getting used to it as stock, make the grips thicker (slip-on grips over stock grips). This will in effect smoothen your throttling by getting less throttle for the same amount of wrist movement. It's all in the wrist!

my bike actually has some gap even if you turn it say by fingertips from the side, its tight but doesnt do anything for the first bit of movement, then the bike has a pulse, like others have said like the fuel kicks in. Also only in gear not in neutral. :fiddy

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
that's the 2-3mm cable slack/play. I can actually feel when I'm on the throttle or in the slack. Once you get used to where these points begins and end, you can control the throttle better.

Think of it like the clutch that has a very narrow friction zone. With practice, you'll get used to it.

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
The slack/play is what I was trying to express. it seems to me like if you adjusted the cable tighter to take up the slack just to the point that we all get the sudden burst, that it would smooth it out.

I don't have a real problem with it, but sometimes when I have to make a quick descision from closed throttle I get that jerk unless I'm really paying attention to my throttle position.

·
Superbike Racer
72 Posts
After nearly 4000km of riding, this would be the biggest gripe I have with the bike, and it's taking me a while to ride around the problem. The only things I can suggest have been mentioned before, which are to keep the revs up, so you're in the right gear at the right time, and to try and keep the throttle open even a little bit, as you go through the apex, as that will reduce the chances of the off/on throttle surge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts