Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so a few weeks ago i got into a shaving conversation with a few friends about the cost of razor cartridges and how I get 3-4 shaves out of a gillete 5 blade (can't remember the actual name), so about $1 per day to shave

so the next day i get an email from my friends father asking for my address and shortly after i had a 1950's gillete DE razor and about 15 blades.

not mine, but looks like this...

i can't believe how well it shaves and i haven't been pushing the number of shaves per blade (so far i use it twice, once on each side) but once i find 'my blade' i should be able to buy bulk packs for less than $.10 per blade.

im still experimenting with different soaps/creams, but i have found that my old gel works fine too.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yep, I use a Merkur safety razor. I use it to shave my head and works better than anything else. Those disposable razors with multiple blades, cooling strips, etc. are all marketing gimmicks that do nothing to provide a closer or comfortable shave.

The biggest secret is apply a little oil to your skin before applying shaving cream/soap. You can use baby oil, but I use a mixture of almond and light olive oil. Use a good/expensive soap or cream like Proraso and apply it with a brush. The brush provides much more lather and a small container of the expensive stuff will last you much longer than the cheap stuff.

I got all this info from an article in Men's Journal a couple years ago about the "perfect shave", and they got it all right.

Tried to convince the wife for a long time to try it for her legs, but she was apprehensive. After a month or so, she finally tried it, and she hasn't gone back. Ended up buying her one of her own.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Shaving is something I do once every couple of months.
I just ain't gotta.

If I did have to though, my "stall" would look like RobMoores.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
every other guy in my family is a once a day guy, twice if the wedding reception is late, if you catch me.

I am blessed.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
What's the difference in how it shaves? I think the angle I hold the razors makes the biggest difference.

I've always wanted to be a straight razor user.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
They require too much maintenance for me for not giving that much better of a shave. My blades are CHEAP, and the just pop right in.

My setup gives me a closer and less irritating shave than the best electric razors or Mach 5 battery powered doohickeys with "smooth gel" cream blah blah blah. Pretty much everything they sell in the grocery store sucks balls.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like my straight-razor! I don't use it as much as I used to since I'm usually in a rush and the multi-blade doesn't require as much finesse so, it's quicker. I used to use my Grandfather's razor but, it developed a split in the blade which likes to grab hairs and it makes you jump which is not a good thing with a straight-razor! Now, I use one that uses the Personna brand replaceable blades.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
What kind of maintenance do they require? I assumed its just stainless steel.

Turbo, I think you touched on why I've never started using those. When I'm in a rush, I cut myself. That's with disposables. I'd probably cut an artery with a straight razor. Even on a motorcycle, my impatience gets me to do things I say I wont, shouldn't and even couldn't. If I had a straight razor, it would be my weekend thing, and that wouldn't give me enough exercise to make me learn to use it.

I was the keep it simple type, and thought double blades were for sissies for a long time. Then they came out with triples and everything else. By that time, I had eventually tried enough doubles (without buying them) to appreciate them. Then I had someone buy me triples and quads...same thing. I figured it'll be that one little treat in life that'll make my mornings that much better. I got some dark haired genetics and whenever I have a razor in my hand I wish I was born a blond.

Although I used to say it was a douchebag thing to do, I'm kinda looked on the five razor thing now. It lasts forever and its more forgiving on not using the right angle - which is the key I think to a good shave with normal razors. And i'm just lazy in the mornings and too old n grumpy to deal with learning new crap :cookie

·
Registered
278 Posts
so a few weeks ago i got into a shaving conversation with a few friends about the cost of razor cartridges and how I get 3-4 shaves out of a gillete 5 blade (can't remember the actual name), so about $1 per day to shave

so the next day i get an email from my friends father asking for my address and shortly after i had a 1950's gillete DE razor and about 15 blades.

not mine, but looks like this...

i can't believe how well it shaves and i haven't been pushing the number of shaves per blade (so far i use it twice, once on each side) but once i find 'my blade' i should be able to buy bulk packs for less than $.10 per blade.

im still experimenting with different soaps/creams, but i have found that my old gel works fine too.
two of my OCD areas are right under my nose and on the sides of my mouth. how well does the straight razor get those areas?

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
two of my OCD areas are right under my nose and on the sides of my mouth. how well does the straight razor get those areas?
Not sure about a straight razor, but a safety razor works just fine. it’s also better than the multi blade at getting a nice even/straight line at my sideburns.

So far for soaps and creams, I have a badger brush, a tub of Art of Shaving (AoS) sandalwood cream (smells great, but I hate it – good lather, poor lubrication), and a puck of Van der Hagen soap (love it, but odd scent). I just ordered a tub of Poraso and a stick of Arko soap to try. While I do not like the AoS cream, I do like the pre-shave oil and after shave balm (I got a kit for Christmas), but I feel that the AoS is way overpriced compared to what I can mail order.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
How do you get so little life out of a razor? I easily get 15-20 shaves per Mach 3 cartridge. The thing about blades is that they do not get dull quickly; however they do get burrs on them. This can be easily fixed by stropping the blades on a rougher surface such as a pair of jeans. It GREATLY increases the lifetime of your razor blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXaK9yr1D5c

This is a lifehack that ALL men should know.

·
5,455 Posts
i'm too lazy to shave regularly. i use the electric hair cutter whenever it feels gross (once or twice a week) and live with the five oclock shadow look.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
My dad always used those. I went to the Schick Hydro 5 a couple years ago and will never go back. Got one a few months ago that has the battery and vibrating going on. Thought there is no way this makes any difference but it's the closest shave I've ever had in my life.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do you get so little life out of a razor? ....
I use them for a week, Monday thru Thursday, pop in a new blade on Monday. I have no idea how you get so many shaves out of one, I have pushed two weeks before and it was misery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What kind of maintenance do they require? I assumed its just stainless steel.
IF you're referring to the straight-razors, they are a low carbon steel. They WILL rust! They have to be cleaned and dried after each use to protect them from corrosion. The one I use now uses a replaceable blade and the body is made out of stainless steel so, no maintenance. The blades come in packs of 5 and are cheap. They also come with a guard so you can do a 5:00 shadow if you wish.
There's a guy not too far from me that forges custom straight-razors that are supposed to be amazing! There really is nothing like the feeling of a good straight-razor shave! Even the way you have to hold the blade has a special feeling to it.
I had planned on trying one of my Dad's old safety razors but, meth-heads broke in and trashed the old house and took everything and especially anything metal! Luckily, they didn't take my lead cache! I still have a few hundred pounds to reload with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts