Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, does any1 have these installed?
is it worth the $150 pricetag?

ive come to the conclusion that i really dont have a need to upgrade to a 600ss, so imma make the 500 the way i want it. :D

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Link me, I wanna see these!

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Man those do look really cool...but $150 is a lot....

Put that money towards a full fairing kit, unless you take a lot of high-lean corners...it'll drag. Oh and buy a sprocket too. That's what I would do anyways. I just ordered the sprocket. :twofinger My future plans, since I'm like you and don't want a 600 quite yet:
Kevlar clutch plates and stronger springs
EBC brake pads up front
Braided steel brake lines for front
Lightweight race front rotor
Racetech fork springs
520 X-chain
Clear taillight with LED's
Aftermarket rearsets and aluminum pegs

I doubt all of that will get done but then....you never know.

Oh and if you REAAALLLLY REAAALLLYYY wanna keep this thing...go with the 540 or 600cc kit. :eek: :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
Man those do look really cool...but $150 is a lot....

Put that money towards a full fairing kit, unless you take a lot of high-lean corners...it'll drag. Oh and buy a sprocket too. That's what I would do anyways. I just ordered the sprocket. :twofinger My future plans, since I'm like you and don't want a 600 quite yet:
Kevlar clutch plates and stronger springs
EBC brake pads up front
Braided steel brake lines for front
Lightweight race front rotor
Racetech fork springs
520 X-chain
Clear taillight with LED's
Aftermarket rearsets and aluminum pegs

I doubt all of that will get done but then....you never know.

Oh and if you REAAALLLLY REAAALLLYYY wanna keep this thing...go with the 540 or 600cc kit. :eek: :D
are you gonna list the places to buy all that stuff at Parts Galore?

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Most of the links are already on parts galore I do believe...you just gotta dig through the same sites. Everything I've found for the bike can be found by either a direct link in the 500 board somewhere, or by chasing a link and going through that retailer's website. :D

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wanna get a set of rearsets, but that kit is REAL pricey. i was looking into having some custom adapter's machined, but i still gotta work on the reloacation of all the brake parts on the right side.

i was looking into a rear sprocket, but id have to take it to a shop to put it on (i have no way of balancing a rear tire and all that), and i kinda shy away from stuff i cant do myself.

·
Registered
584 Posts
so, how hard are those slip-ons (handlebar thingies) to put on? Do they lower the bars significantly (couldn't really tell by the pic)? Does all the stuff just come off of the OEM ones?

If those things are any good, I might consider them. I'm getting tired of this raised up seating position. Harder to duck with higher handle-bars too :(

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they only drop the hight down a little. if u look at the way the bars get near the tank on full lock left/right, if they were lowered too much, the bars would physically hit the tank.
the thing about this is they drop the angle 5 degrees downward. more of that "race" position. well, as much so as u can get with the ex500 and the riser setup.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
silvertongue78 said:
you gotta re-balance the rear tire to put a sprocket on?
srry if this is a dumb ques.
i thought u had to take the entire rear wheel off to put the sprocket on :confused: hm...maybe i should look through my manual. lol, i bought it for a reason :lol

·
Registered
968 Posts
silvertongue78 said:
you gotta re-balance the rear tire to put a sprocket on?
srry if this is a dumb ques.
No. Has never been a problem balance-wise or mentioned when tires have been replaced.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Yeah, to put the sprocket on you have to take the wheel AND tire assembly off..as a whole. Rebalancing is only required when the tire is dismounted off of the wheel, as when it's mounted back up, the heavy and light points will be in different spots.

I can't wait for my sprocket to come in....I helped my buddy install his, but I'm really not sure if I can do this myself. If I get adventurous though I might just try it...... Have myself some first gear wheelie fun before this hurricane comes and the bike gets on lock down. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
you can wheeling in first with out a sprocket change.
I have hindle 2into1 K&N filter and rejetted carbs and with clutching i can get the front up!

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I'm hoping to be able to do it without clutching though. ;) I'm a newb and have only wheelied on accident...10 or 11 o'clock on a 1-2 shift racing, and then picked up 3rd a few times...cold clutch incidents. Heh.....purposely bringing it up with the clutch is a little too much for me to try to think about at once...I get deer-in-headlights sometimes and I really don't wanna lay my bike down because my dumb self got cocky, clutched it up, froze up, and looped it... :lol

·
Registered
968 Posts
:confused:

Half - You weren't kidding when you said you'd be losing top end. I thought running a 44-tooth rear was a bit much. Did you make your chain a consideration? When I had mine replaced the shop cut down a 520-110 to 520-106. The stock 520-104 wasn't going to work with my sprocket.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Hey man...yeah, aint that the truth...I'm gonna lose top end BIG time! No, haven't bought a chain yet....my buddy went 3 teeth up on his CBR and used his stock chain with no links removed, so thats why I didnt buy one. But that's a totally different bike, chain, etc. so it's not like that matters. ;) That shop owes me a dyno-tune on the bike anyways...so when I take it back for the tune, I'm gonna tell them to slap the sprocket on for me too. Save me some trouble and get all of that done in the same day......

·
Registered
85 Posts
:hshot hey man what exactly would a plus 4 sprocket do? seems like that would be a alil much but i dont know ne thign about motorcycle gearing. I know on my 500 i can get the wheel up but its really hard and it only does ir when it pretty much wants to. Let me know about the sprocket thinng cause i want one really badly
i was told to get a plus 2 in the back and minus one in the front. But im not sure. ne ways thanks

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Yeah, +4 in the back is definitely a little bit radical man. I just want to be able to control this bike with it being the fastest that it possibly can before I upgrade later. And I figure a sprocketed out 500 with full exhaust and intake is a lot closer to an older 600cc in terms of acceleration...

It will definitely hurt my top speed.....I'm wondering how far over 100 mph it will go now. It *did* do 125 indicated stock.

+2 out back is good, but minus one in the front is overkill. General rule is that minus one in the front is equivalent to +2 or 3 in the rear...so if you went -1 front/+2 back, you'd be looking at a total of like +4 or +5 in the rear.

Plenty of people make a 44 tooth sprocket...which is +3 in the rear. I've yet to see just a +2 sprocket......so you might try the 44 toot

1 - 20 of 24 Posts