Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two assholes nearly got me tonight on my way home. People literally crossing the street as I'm coming towards them. Would have been nasty t bones. Both events within 5 minutes of each other. First one saw me and stopped with half her car in my lane. Second one saw me and hit the gas. Only way to avoid either would be swerve into the other lane which I couldn't see because my mirrors are worthless despite many attempts to better them. Neither time did I have enough time to turn my head. First one woulda been 25mphish at the rate i was panic braking. Second one at slower speeds so I "might" have been able to stop but it would have been close or a 5mph smack.

Anyhow, my thoughts going up to the almost wrecks were how should I do this to minimize bodily damage... and if I'm still walking after this their insurance is getting me a new bike :cool04 . Lets focus on that first sane thought. Is there anything you can do to reduce bodily injury? Arms folded in front of the face to reduce neck trauma? Should I lay the bike down? Maybe sturdy grip on the bars and use them bending to absorb some trauma? Are there any methods to decrease bodily injury?

·
Registered
951 Posts
There's a saying in aviation: "Fly the airplane as far into the crash as possible."

Personally, I tend to think that I'm better served focusing on how to avoid an accident instead of how to best survive it. In the moments leading up to a collission, I'd rather do everything in my power to avoid and/or mitigate the collision (ie slow down as much as possible) instead of giving up on bike control to try to contort my body into a favorable position.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize slowing down as much as possible is the best thing if its unavoidable and I do that, but I just keep visualizing a straight tbone with my head being the first body part to impact as I'm launched forward and am grasping at straws for ways to avoid that lol.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I've never been in a collision with another vehicle (well, I had a guy run into me on the track, but we both kept it up). But in all my crashes I've always just tried my best to stay loose, but keep my arms in close to my body in order to minimize damage to my limbs but also protect my internals. I've crashed at 40mph and 120mph, and my worst injury is a broken pinky.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You didn't specifically ask, but here are a few thigns to think about. First, don't put yourself in that position. You know from experience how big of a gap a car looks for. Don't follow at that distance whn going through an intersection. Slow down so the left turner has plenty of room to turn in front of you. Another trick is to speed up so you are right behind the car in front of you. Make it so he can't hit you no matter what he does.

On a four lane road you can position yourself next to another car so the left turner won't turn into your path. Simple.

Sometimes you get caught in a bad spot. In that case, watch their hands on the steering wheel. Their hands will be the first thing to move if they are coming across. Have a plan to avoid them if they start to move.

·
freetors
640 Posts
I tboned into the side of a mini when they pulled out in front of me. It totalled the bike and launched me about 20 feet. I walked away from it. The only injury I had was a very bruised crotch from the gas tank. Just goes to show you always wear your gear.

I think the biggest thing you can do to minimize injury if you know you're going to crash is to stay loose and roll with it. Don't try to fight it or tense up. Unfortunately, I think this is an instinct that can't really be taught. Some people just seem to have it, some don't.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Fix your damn mirrors.

KeS
There are two problems with em.
One, the bars are narrow so I mostly just get a view of my arms.
Problem two, the WR has a long narrow seat. I tend to move all around on the seat depending on how fast I'm going. Up near the tank like a dirt bike when going slow, back on the fatter more comfortable part when going fast, and all places in between when my butt gets sore. So basically every time I look down at the mirrors they need to be adjusted. I ordered some bar end mirrors that might fix problem one, but doubt they can fix problem two.

As for the cars, I'm usually pretty good at reading what people are going to do, but sometimes they make their move after you're too close to do anything :( I was on a street I generally avoid because it just has too much going on. Too many lights, too many side streets, too many parking lots, turn arounds, turning lanes, etc... Too many spots for something to go wrong and I've seen many wrecks on it... but it was cold so I used it instead of the interstate. I won't do that again.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I keep saying, assume the cagers don't see you. Assume they will do the absolute worst thing right in front of you to make you crash. Always know your outs. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Cagers are way worse now. Ten years ago I might have had to escape danger once a week. Now I do it once a day.

The good news is sportbikes were made for this. You have the tools.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
a) DON'T lay it down. Brake as hard as you can while remaining upright.

b) In traffic, keep a finger or two covering the brake and clutch levers to reduce reaction times.

c) If it *really* comes to a collision, maybe try to aim for the hood area, to increase the chances your body will go over the car instead of into it.

d) Learning fall correctly is helpful, again, if you have to. Judo or Aikido lessons can help there.

PhilB

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cars are getting worse. Today I watched some idiot run completely all 4 wheels onto the shoulder a dozen times trying to text... while tailgating the truck in front of him. A little later someone passed me going down the shoulder, cut in between me and the car in front of me, and immediately turned. 60mph speeds mind you. If I cared much about death I would just go ahead and park my bike now. My only regret is that my bike has so little mass, whoever takes me out will walk away unscathed.
If I get a cam, will the police pursue video evidence of asshattery and dangerous driving?

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
predict and avoid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You still living in Louisiana? Y'all kill more people on the road than you can shake a stick at. My dad lives in Hammond and just about refuses to go anywhere on the interstate if he doesn't have too. Attempt to predict and avoid.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ride a motorcycle like you NEVER have the right-of-way (especially at intersections). Defensive driving always. A lot of distracted drivers around these days with all the bullshit techno gadgets that are obsolete in 6 months (I'm an old guy and I feel like telling people walking around with their faces stuck in a screen to get a life).
-The number one rule if you fly off a motorcycle is to never land on your head or neck. Broken arms and collar-bones will heal in time but a head or neck injury can put you in a wheel-chair or worse for life. Land on your shoulder and roll. Of course protective clothing and boots will prevent loss of a lot of skin. Practice defensive riding around cars and changing road conditions and you may never have an accident.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
predict and avoid.
Yep, it's called spatial awareness. You shouldn't have to turn your head or check your mirrors in a panic situation because you should already be keeping tabs on where vehicles are around you. You should be constantly checking and making mental notes of what you've passed, who's behind you and how far. You should then be positioning yourself so you have an exit available when you need it. You shouldn't need to check if the lane is open when someone pulls out because you should have already made sure the lane was clear BEFORE they pulled out so that you can react appropriately. Using cars as defense is a good tactic, but it can leave you with no place to go. No matter what you're doing you should know where everyone is around you and what options you have.

Like others have said DO NOT lay the bike down or let go of the controls. Your tires grip the pavement and slow you down much more than metal, plastic or flesh. If you're really afraid of hitting someone you should go practice panic braking. I'd bet good money you can stop a hell of a lot faster than you think you can, and practicing it will make it a reflex when and if you need it.

Bar end mirrors will help, convex ones even more. My Cafe bike has tiny mirrors on the bar ends and I can see everything behind and at least one lane over in each one without my body blocking them a bit.

·
Registered
507 Posts
There's a saying in aviation: "Fly the airplane as far into the crash as possible."
Hard to say it better than that. Your brakes can dissipate far more kinetic energy than your arms in the time it takes you to let off the brakes and position your arms. That's if you absolutely cannot avoid hitting a stationary object.

A better bet is to swerve and miss the object, even if it means lowsiding and sliding along the ground for a long time. You have no seatbelt, crumple zone, air bag, or (most likely) impact armor, so avoid impact at all costs! If you don't know if a car has snuck up next to you, the risk of sideswiping it is often still be a better bet than hitting a stopped car.

If you still worry about breaking your neck, use a Leatt Brace, like I do. Other major companies make knock-offs of it now. I don't even notice it when I'm wearing it, yet I feel naked without it.

- John

·
1st name basis with Death
2,350 Posts
Two assholes nearly got me tonight on my way home. People literally crossing the street as I'm coming towards them. Would have been nasty t bones. Both events within 5 minutes of each other. First one saw me and stopped with half her car in my lane. Second one saw me and hit the gas. Only way to avoid either would be swerve into the other lane which I couldn't see because my mirrors are worthless despite many attempts to better them. Neither time did I have enough time to turn my head. First one woulda been 25mphish at the rate i was panic braking. Second one at slower speeds so I "might" have been able to stop but it would have been close or a 5mph smack.

Anyhow, my thoughts going up to the almost wrecks were how should I do this to minimize bodily damage... and if I'm still walking after this their insurance is getting me a new bike :cool04 . Lets focus on that first sane thought. Is there anything you can do to reduce bodily injury? Arms folded in front of the face to reduce neck trauma? Should I lay the bike down? Maybe sturdy grip on the bars and use them bending to absorb some trauma? Are there any methods to decrease bodily injury?
Best advice I can offer...

Never ride faster than the required speed necessary to come to a full and complete stop, in the event of a vehicle pulling out directly in front of you, and then slamming on the brakes.

Don't ever assume the gear you're wearing will save your life, or prevent you from having your arms and legs ripped off.

Practice safe riding... like wearing a condom, don't engage in high risk activities like riding in congested areas, high traffic zones, or speeding beyond your braking distance.

Accept the fact that you can do everything right and still get taken out... know this to be true. Wear your gear, and make sure it fits right.

You can't control what happens around you, so the best thing you can do to minimize injury is control your speed... even if it means riding below the posted limit in certain areas.

One last thing, don't be offended when someone pulls out and almost kills you... this happens every second of every day to all of us. Be thankful that you were fortunate enough to get through it, and mindful enough to learn from the experience to become an even better rider.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts