Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm heading down there in 3 weeks and I'm curious if there is any thing a first time visitor needs to know? Any specific places / roads I must visit? Are there any particularly bad radar sections or some corner that has a large accident percentage ( I read about some corner on 72 I believe). Any thing you can think of a first time visitor would likely not know their first trip down. I'll be staying in Robbinsville.

Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
With all the police that has been there the past couple years and all the harrassment they have done, make sure everything is legal on your bike. Mirrors, turn signals, plate mounting, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
and know that according to TN law... the license plate must be mounted horizontally atleast 1ft off the ground and behond the rear axle.

Just ride your own ride and have fun.

and Don't limit yourself to the gap... nc28 and the cherohala skyway are just two of the other great roads in the area.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As Damien said, don't just ride the Gap. I love the skyway. It's like riding a series of exit ramps all looped together. Plus when it is hot as Hell in Summer, the skyway gets really cool the closer you get to the 5,000' elevation mark. I wish I could tell you some of the good day-long routes we take but I'm usually following a friend that has been there several times. Maybe you could ask in the open forums for route advice, some of the guys live in that area and might would recommend a few rides for you.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Watch for cops running radar, people crossing the double yellow, and watch for ppl trying to pass you (get to the right if and when you can). Sometimes slower cars/bikes pull off and sometimes they don't. I was up there last weekend and they looked to be grating the shoulder off the road, presumably to repave it. Keep that in mind if you plan on stopping, as there will be a height difference.

If you hear horns, slow down and look. 18 wheelers can and still do go down the Dragon, and they take up both lanes to get through. Not something you want to find out about the hard way.

If you ride early in the morning and during the week you are less likely to have to deal with traffic or cops, plus your pics will likely be the first of the day on all of the photo sites.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah, what they said.

They are doing some repaving there now so be cautious in those areas.

The best way to keep out of the radar spots on the gap would be to stop at the look out on the Tennessee side and ask some folks as they come in to stop.

If you see a semi, follow his ass and pass him when you get a good safe spot and keep a few turns ahead of him and inform others with hand signals. Nothing on a map tells them what they're getting into and if they've been through there once, they wont go back. they're pretty much rolling blind and half shitting their pants. help them out and maybe save a life by making it a point inform others before they go dragging a knee into a set of tires.

The best time to go through is after 6pm or so. That's when the locals start showing up. I've seen the cops just sitting in the turns bullshitting with other riders as folks drag a knee thorough. The local cops know that the local riders run hard but keep it safe so they don't cause a stink with them from what I have seen.

A good trip through is running it at night. Hit it at about midnight. It's a blast.

One of the most enjoyable trips I've had down there was by just taking off at 5am, hitting the gap, and then rolling on with no map and no final destination in mind. Just turn on whatever road looks interesting. stop at a gas station late in the day to find out where your at and find your way back for a beer and good night sleep.

Have fun.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It seems that I have had the best rides early in the morning as rayzzr stated above. I'll be hitting it around sevenish next friday. Just enjoy the ride and don't ride over your head and you'll have a blast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts