Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a R1200RT. I've made a long progression from sportbike to dual sport to naked roadster and finally to long distance sport touring.

I was an early member on this message board and formerly a Chicago area sportbike rider.

What do you other BMW owners ride?

·
Registered
33 Posts
How do you like the R1200? Im watching one on ebay. Looks like a great bike!

Ive got Ducatis right now but Id like something to throw the wife on and go for a weekend or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm loving my RT. It's not a 600cc spupersport, but it will open your eyes how well a 630lb (actual wet weight) bike this comfortable can handle. THe wide bars make it relatively nimble and it's very easy to ride at very low speeds. You don't notice the weight until that last 1/2mph as you come to a complete stop, with a passenger it's a little clumsy sometimes.

It's great riding 2-up on a bike designed for it. My wife is there, but not on top of me like on a ZX9R. We're planning a 2 day camping trip, and all the gear will fit in my Givi top case and strapped ot it's rakc in a dry bag, leaving hte saddlebags for our clothes, towels and shower kits. No grill or cooler... but there's a walmart nearby where I could buy charcoal and food after setting up camp.

For performance the engine is smooth and have great midrange power, and pulls hard and evenly from 3000RPM on up redline at 8000. THe gearbox is a little notchy, the brakes are very powerful and I'm liking the linking, that takes the guesswork out of using the rear brake...basically, you don't bother. I heaven't tested the ABS or traction control... other then hitting the rear brake in a gravel parking lot to see how sensitive it is... just like a car but smoother and no pulsing.

I have a new windshield comming. The stock is a little short since I prefer the higher seat position. I could use some aftermarket seats, but they are better than any bike I owned before this... you just notice it more because ther's very little wind, very little vibration, and the suspension smooths all but hte largest bumps out of the road. So little wind that you can turn you head, look around a really enjoy the scenery rush past.... even at 80 or 90 mph.

Oh... all bikes should have heated grips, cruise control and accessory sockets for heated vests.

·
On a Ride
390 Posts
R1200RT rider right here. Also have another fine sporting ride or two in the barn but this RT is outstanding. Never considered myself an "RT kind of rider" until renting one overseas following business there and the bike totally overdelivered as I toured Normandy and France, picking a week of nasty, cold, blustery wet weather.

The bike routinely win shootouts/comparisons, can go cross country on the things, can also surprise more sporting breeds in the canyons. A superb bike. But us RT owners already know that. :cheers

Left a recent RT ride report here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts