Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Changed bikes again
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, do we have any pilots here? What ratings do you have?

Also any 'memorable' flights you'd like to share?

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
Not a pilot but I have 1400+ hours as a crewmember in a P-3C , does that count?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I took an intro flying lesson once. For 45 minutes I got to fly a Robin 2000, a very small single prop plane. Flew over Lee's castle (I think that's what it's called) in England.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been flying for quite some time. I started when I was quite young; my father worked for a broker and I would sometimes tag along. I got my liscense in the Navy flying club. I hold a private pilots license, instrument rating.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been fying off and on since I was 10, but just in the last year have I started logging my hours with an instructor and working on my private pilots license.
In all the hours I have been up, I think Ive had more scares in one day on my bike just going to work and back. I think the scariest moment I had in the cessna was in a sharp left bank I let the nose drop and out panic and lack of experience I tried to fight it instead of rolling out and came close to passing out. I remember looking down at the ocean and then at the prop and then it looked like the cockpit of the plane spun in a fast counter clockwise motion and hit me in the stomach.

I thing I like most about flying is looking down at the world below and seeing how small we really are and how little space we actually occupy in this world.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
I'm not, but my wife is. IP for T-38s (F-5s).

·
Changed bikes again
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm instrument and multi-engine rated. Havent been flying much in the last 2 yrs. No time and other interests.

But I did hit a deer while taking off some years ago in our 79 Piper Seminole. Saw it run across the runway and just pulled back. Front strut smacked it and screwed up the nose gear. After 2 hrs of circling to burn off fuel, had to belly land in a field next to the airport. Lots of screaming from Kelley and our friends (who never been in a plane in their life) during that time. That was the last plane I owned. Every so often I'll rent one to get some hours in, but nothing like I did before. Kelley wont even get in a small plane anymore.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Godzuki said:
I'm instrument and multi-engine rated. Havent been flying much in the last 2 yrs. No time and other interests.

But I did hit a deer while taking off some years ago in our 79 Piper Seminole. Saw it run across the runway and just pulled back. Front strut smacked it and screwed up the nose gear. After 2 hrs of circling to burn off fuel, had to belly land in a field next to the airport. Lots of screaming from Kelley and our friends (who never been in a plane in their life) during that time. That was the last plane I owned. Every so often I'll rent one to get some hours in, but nothing like I did before. Kelley wont even get in a small plane anymore.
Deer have to be the dumbest animals alive. If they were to become extinct I don't think I would ever miss one. Their only purpose of existance is to feed other animals and to made into jerkey.

What the hell goes through a deers mind? "oh look, pavement I think I'll go stand there. I am aware there is no food (since its PAVEMENT) and a car or a fucking airplane can hit me and to top it off I'mm vulnerable to preditors spotting me here."

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am a pilot. I hold a Commercial cert. with multi and instrument privledges. I am also a CFI.

I have never had any life or death situations arise. I have had electrical, and radio failures though. I've seen some neat stuff in the air. I got passed by a flight of T-34's, and watched a B-24 pass in front of me. I had a AH-1 Cobra taxi by me, and while the front seater was looking at me the nose cannon was tracking me too. I thought that was the coolest thing!

By far the most fun was during my multi training. We dropped down about 100' AGL above a lake and around 140 kts. The sides were very steep, we were probably 50' below the top of the tree line on both sides. I was turning hard staying in the coves, when we got in one too sharp, just push the levers forward and pull up. Once we cleared, roll her over and drop back below the tree line. Absolutely awsome! Pretty damn stupid looking back on it, but hey, I would do it again :dblthumb

·
Registered
89 Posts
Been flying for about 10 years. I've got multi-engine instrument and commercial ratings. Currently flying F-15C's for Uncle Sam.

Scarriest moment (in retrospect.. no time to think about it at the time) was last October while TDY in Iceland. We were out flying and got told to RTB immediatley because a blizzard was hitting. We were coming home in a 4 ship string and I was the last one. We were going .99 mach, about 30 degrees nose low and dumping gas to get light enough to land. When I was cleared to land, the Icelandic controller told me: "Winds 210/48 gusts 54 (which is about 60 degrees off the runway) with blowing snow and hail. You are cleared to land.... good luck." That caught my attention. I broke out at about 180' on the clock. I'd already decided if I couldn't break out on the approach, that I'd have to punch off my wing tanks and hope I had enough gas to divert to Scotland. Glad I got that one on the ground!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have single engine instrument w/ high performance/complex signoff. Checked out in a piper warrior, cessna 172, cessna 182, piper arrow. I have about 6 hours of piper lance time and about 8 hours of piper seminole(twin) time. For those in the Concord NC area that have never flown in a small plane, I will be happy to take up for 50/50 split of rental fees.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
How much does it really cost for lessons? Like how much total you guys think it is to get to the point of flying alone and being able to rent? Flying looks so freakin cool. I don't care what, some time in my life i am gonna get certified to fly. Thinkin about going into the air guard and trying to get into working on helos and being the flight mechanic so i can get into flying that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
for single engine land private pilot (basic starting point) you can expect to pay about $5000 if you are a weekend warrior like I was. For an estimate, it will cost approx. $100/$120 an hour. Most CFI's will have you to a solo point at about 15/20 hours. Then you have some solo requirements... 50 nautical mile cross country...long solo flight of 150 nautical miles..ect... need a minimum of 40 hours before you can take your checkride with a Designated Examiner.

The more dedicated you are to learning the cheaper it will be due to the fact you don't have to "relearn" stuff from previous lessons. And to be honest, it's probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts