Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has a Yamaha lower fairing/cowl installed.

If you do:

1. Do you have any photos?
2. Do you like it?

Thanks. Yamaha does not have a photo up yet on their site.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
I'm assuming you are referring to the 1/4 faring aka "chin spoiler". Several people have that and it looks really good. I may even sell my full fairing one day and opt for it myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is correct. I like the looks of the "chin spoiler" better. I am not sure if Yamaha's is a full lower or not.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Yamaha only sells the chin spoiler for our bike and it does look really nice. It is up there around $300 + shipping I think but others here will correct me and post up some pics.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For what it's worth, there is a pic of it in the Yamaha accessory catalog that you can get at your dealer. To be honest though, it's not a very good pic: just a closeup of the cowl installed on a silver bike. I would have liked to have seen a more distant shot of it. Odd that they don't have any pics of it on their website yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
when adding on the lower-full fairings, does the engine suffer at all from increased heat? I would think that the plastic would both absorb and retain the heat emitted from the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
redhawkphi said:
when adding on the lower-full fairings, does the engine suffer at all from increased heat? I would think that the plastic would both absorb and retain the heat emitted from the motor.
Check out the pics of mine. It has nice vent screens to allow proper air flow to the engine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Both cowlings are nice looking and I like them both. Thanks for the pics guys! I don't know if I can justify spending that sort of money on what seems to be strictly a cosmetic item. Does a cowling like that have any other benefit besides looking good?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Grafton huh???? Use to live and went to school at Ripon College..... Kinda miss Wisco, except for the cold. Will have to make a trip up there after I finish my grad program down here to visit the fam.

When questioning the air flow of the lower-full fairings, I was trying to direct it towards those that have the full lowers, like Fazr6 has on his machine.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
redhawkphi said:
People ask this question frequently. I have noticed no extra heat problems. You have to remember that this is a WATER cooled engine and was designed as a full fairing race bike engine. The fairing I have has so many air screens in it that it is overkill. Heat is not something to worry about.

What part of birmingham are you from?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info guys. I really like the Topline model. Quick question. How are oil changes with the lower installed?

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
sunder74 said:
Thanks for all the info guys. I really like the Topline model. Quick question. How are oil changes with the lower installed?
Ahhh, I've been waiting for that question since posting the first pics. Answer is I haven't had to do one yet. I had just done the 500 miler and then my fairing came in. But, the left side will have to come off which is just 5 bolts. Not too big of a deal for not having to do it very often, but probably adds 30 min. to the oil change. Cant speek for the chin spoiler guys. How about it chin spoiler guys?

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
redhawkphi said:
as well, any mods that needed to be done when you put the topline fairing on the bike? price?
Are you asking me or jcaesar? No mods needed here....everything is bolt on to existing mounting spots. They just give brackets that you attach in places where bolts already exist. Price for the full with shipping and painted was $780 I think. Shipping was almost a third of that.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
For the record, TCP has a nice full lower that I have some really good pics of on a bike in the uk. The pics are on my home computer so I will post them here when I get home. I like the Topline better and thats why I bought it, but the TCP looks pretty frickin sweet too and is about $100 - $200 cheaper depending on the deals that you end up negotiating. Word to the wise EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE! The price I got for my fairing was about $100 less than they quote.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
FAZR6 said:
Are you asking me or jcaesar? No mods needed here....everything is bolt on to existing mounting spots. They just give brackets that you attach in places where bolts already exist. Price for the full with shipping and painted was $780 I think. Shipping was almost a third of that.
Yep, same for the topline also. no modification required. Just two brackets on each side that attach to the current mounting bolts. To remove it for oil changes is pretty simple. 2 allen bolts each side and one in the front. You don't remove the bolts to the brackets, so you don't have to worry about allignment and fit up each time you put it back on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts