Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear about your experience. I'm thinking about an african grey.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way for those who dont know what it looks like, here is a pic

They are said to be so good at human mimicry they appear to understand and speak human language.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great choice!! I have one!! She is an awesome talker and mimics everyone in the house and sometimes you have to really listen to be able to tell if it is her or someone really talking to you... I have answered her before when she calls my name like my husband does.

This is my Kaytee!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
African Grays are the best talkers... they like to please.
I have a double yellow headed amazon and speaks quite well. Sings, yodles, answers the phone, barks like the dog. Very entertaining.
Parrots need a lot of attention - A LOT!

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
my uncle's Grey sounds just like us.. They mimic exactly what they hear.. I have to double take when he calls me.. They are a lot of fun, and not very aggresive at all..

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
My buddy has one. It's pretty cool. Likes nobody else but the owner. Will actually 'kiss' the owner and pretty much attacks everyone else. lol. Pretty cool to see a bird 'tame' (as it is).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool.
Questions. (If you dont mind.)

1. Why is every chick on this site hot for mr. lesbian?
2. Is it true they fling food (and sometimes poop) outside of the cage and onto the floor and the walls? (the birds, not the chicks hot for mr lesbian)

3. I'm assuming you all clip the wings since that seems to be what most people do. But I was wondering, since they are said to create very strong bonds with their owners, is it unreasonable to leave their wings alone so they can fly outdoors for exercise? Or worded differently, isnt it reasonable to expect that they will return to the house, say, like a cat for food or to sleep, or if you train it to return at your call? What are your opinions?

4. Does the african grey chew your furniture? :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
pir0teknik said:
Cool.
Questions. (If you dont mind.)

2. Is it true they fling food (and sometimes poop) outside of the cage and onto the floor and the walls? (the birds, not the chicks hot for mr lesbian)

3. I'm assuming you all clip the wings since that seems to be what most people do. But I was wondering, since they are said to create very strong bonds with their owners, is it unreasonable to leave their wings alone so they can fly outdoors for exercise? Or worded differently, isnt it reasonable to expect that they will return to the house, say, like a cat for food or to sleep, or if you train it to return at your call? What are your opinions?

4. Does the african grey chew your furniture? :(
1. Why is every chick on this site hot for mr. lesbian? I don't know who Mr. Lesbian is... we haven't met, can't answer that one!

2. Is it true they fling food (and sometimes poop) outside of the cage and onto the floor and the walls? Yes, have to clean the cage all the time and I have one of those plastic floor mats under her cage (like people put under office chairs)... that makes it much easier to keep it clean.

3. I'm assuming you all clip the wings since that seems to be what most people do. But I was wondering, since they are said to create very strong bonds with their owners, is it unreasonable to leave their wings alone so they can fly outdoors for exercise? Or worded differently, isnt it reasonable to expect that they will return to the house, say, like a cat for food or to sleep, or if you train it to return at your call? What are your opinions? No... I keep her wings cut, because they have been clipped for so long that she doesn't have enough strength in them to stay up in the air even if they did grow back.

4. Does the african grey chew your furniture? Yes, every chance she gets... and the walls, and the wood floors

She only likes me... they are typically a one person bird... she will bite everyone elses until they bleed if they get too close (including the cat). They are said to have the intelligence level of a 5 year old child.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I don't know, ain't it weird?

I don't know about the birds, but I'd like to see some chicks pee on me.

They'll fly away.

4. Does the african grey chew your furniture?
I don't know.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah so its not all fun and games I see. Well I like my furniture a bit much. Maybe I'll stick to something a little less destructive.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We only have a blue & gold macaw now. At one time we had the macaw, an african grey, and a cockatoo. Talk about sounding like a jungle !!!! All of them talk fairly well, but the grey was the best by far. They looooooooooooooove to chew on anything, especially wood. To solve the food and shit on our wall problems, we just took thin sheets of plexiglass and put behind the cages. It's easy enough to clean, protects the walls, and easily/cheaply replaced when they get gross. And as already said, they need a LOT of attention.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
A guy that lives several blocks from my parents' house found his African Grey in their tree the other morning. It had gotten away from him and flown the few blocks to where it decided to live in my mom's tree for a few nights.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Awesome birds

I got one as a gift 18 months ago and he has become very attached. He is about 21 years old and very smart. Hella entertaining too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
jesfz6r said:
I got one as a gift 18 months ago and he has become very attached. He is about 21 years old and very smart. Hella entertaining too.
WOW... expensive gift... very cool!! Someone must have really liked you!!

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
A friend of mine has a Indian Mynah bird. It talks up a blue streak and whistles so fekkin loud it hurts your ears. He dont do that unless he is pissed about sumtin.

The coolest thing he does is when the doorbell rings (they have a atrium thats screened in between the front gate and the front door that the bird lives in. So when someone rings the bell at the gate the bird sounding exactly like his Mom yells out "Who is it?" invariably the people outside will say there name and hello or something and the bird does the Who is it? bit over and over! Its so dam funny to see!

We used to call Chicos Pizza and have em deliver a pizza to the house and watch the delivery guy talkin to the dam bird OMG it's such a riot! When we finally let him in the bird will snicker at him as he walks past :D When they see the bird the bird uasually lets out a few more Who ie it's and the guys just flip out :lol So funny it sounds just like his Mom too !!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The coolest thing he does is when the doorbell rings (they have a atrium thats screened in between the front gate and the front door that the bird lives in. So when someone rings the bell at the gate the bird sounding exactly like his Mom yells out "Who is it?"
lol thats great.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Walked into a house on a domestic once and the bird said a few words from "Bad Boys" (Cops theme song).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts