Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm thinking of using a 2 piece suit for my first couple of trackdays (got a great deal on astar leather pants I couldn't turn down) and was wondering how many of you guys started out with just a 2 piece suit? Down the line once i get better and get out of the novice group (and when I get to save up a lil lol) I will spring for a suit..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well right now I have an alpinestar leather jacket (monster scream) and alpinestar track pants.. They both zip up completely.. I was thinking these 2 will be good for me for now until I move up in skill.. But down the line I will be looking at some suits that are around 800-1200.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
Newer riders and experienced Racers have a very similar risk of crashing, just for different reasons - new riders from lack of knowledge & experience, front running Racers from pushing near the limit of traction & control.

Your protective equipment is your absolute last line of defense and isn't used until something has gone wrong. Beyond 1 piece vs 2 piece (except for the strength of the zipper in a 2 piece) you need to look more at the protection of the suit itself:

*How thick is the leather where it's needed most?
(elbows, forearms, knees, hips, shoulders, back, butt)

*How much, and more importantly what type, of armor and padding is used?
(EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!! This actually reduces or eliminates injury all together)

*Does it use a minimum of triple internal stitching in areas subject to high impact load?

*Durability - does the suit have a track record of being good for only one crash?

A great way to compare is look at info concerning high end Racing leathers and all the features they brag about, compare that info to what you have/want and decide which features are important to you and which are not. For example Kangaroo leather is expensive, but more flexible and lighter than a lot of the cowhide out there - realistically it's more of a luxury item that you will pay extra for, but the leather itself may not provide any more abrasion resistance (or possibly less) than the cowhide equivalent. Energy absorbing/dispersing padding and armor is much better than basic padding in the cheap suits that may look similar but serve no real purpose in providing actual injury saving/reducing protection.

Ultimately your the person who wears the suit and makes the final decision on how much your willing to invest in your personal protection. For some they would rather buy the best suit they can get their hands on even if it means sacrificing other things temporarily in order to afford it. For others they would rather take their chances with lesser protection.

I will say from experience that when you have a top end suit it provides a peace of mind that helps you focus more on your riding/racing because your less concerned about your protection. I also suggest looking for closeout bargains online, for example in my case I bought a top of the line 1 piece closeout model for about 60% off (especially now that we're going into the off season for much of the nation). Closeouts may not have the exact design your looking for, but getting a superior suit is far more important to me. :)

Reactions: coronadozx

·
Registered
848 Posts
may i ask just how much you spent on that 1-pc? and what suit was it? gotta get ready for future track days. ...

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I did my first 40 track days in a 2 piece suit and felt fine wearing it. Finally went to a 1 piece this spring and put about another 40 days so far in my 1 piece.

Overall for the track the 1 piece is way easier to get into when it's time to go out on track. I also find chest and back protectors stay in place a bit better. Overall I feel a bit more secure in a 1 piece.

That said...if a 2 piece works better for you at the moment I wouldn't shy away from a quality 2 piece set. I would wear a 2 piece again if I could only have 1 suit and rode the street.

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
Hey guys i'm thinking of using a 2 piece suit for my first couple of trackdays (got a great deal on astar leather pants I couldn't turn down) and was wondering how many of you guys started out with just a 2 piece suit? Down the line once i get better and get out of the novice group (and when I get to save up a lil lol) I will spring for a suit..
i've been using a 2-piece a* rc-1 suit for the past 6 years on the track...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
245 Posts
You will be fine with a two piece, a onesy feels better but nothing wrong with what you have. I will say buy the best gloves you can, something with roo hide in the palm. You get so much better feedback from the grips with a good glove, it really makes a difference.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
may i ask just how much you spent on that 1-pc? and what suit was it? gotta get ready for future track days. ...
Mine is one of the top AGV suits that was available at the time, it was on closeout because it was replaced by the next years model (cosmetic change only, same suit). I believe list price was $1,200 & I paid $450. Deals are out there, but often times in limited quantities, sizes, & designs - if you find a closeout you like (that's in your size) you have to jump on it quick or it will likely disappear. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bought a 2-pc 3 years ago when i started doing track days and still use it now that I race. Works just fine so I don't feel the need to get rid of it because of that, but will probably replace it soon just because it is starting to wear too much.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I've gone down four times in my two piece and it is still in decent condition.

That being said, I am replacing it with a Hazardous Racing Custom 1 piece for racing next year. Feel free to PM me for more info on the suit, they're at good prices so you don't have to worry about closeout, plus there is very low markup since you have to go through private distributors rather than buying from a store.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts