Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WILL be a comissioned officer in the Air Force in the next three years, it's not a goal, it will happen :D

Anyways, I've been prepping myself for my first try at the AFOQT test, I have no doubt that I will do well (scored a 1460 on my SAT's) but I'm still a little nervous about it because there are sections that weren't on the SAT's (Aviation, Mechanical, Charts, etc). I bought a study guide, that's what I've been doing the last week and a half, sitting here studying, and posting on SBN, lol, nothing else really. Just looking for some advice on anyone who has taken the test recently or someone who wants to give me general advice about being the best officer I can be.

Thanks,
Jason

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
yeah, i served four years in the navy and the reason i got out was because of the way higher ranking people treated the lower ranking people. i served as enlisted, and came in as an E-1 and eventually made my way up to E-4 before i got out, but as an officer you will instantlly be in charge of alot of personnel. treat your peope good, and don't step on anyone to make yourself look good. there's alot of that in the military. i got out because i came really close to opening a can of wupass on some officers who though they could treat enlisted personnel like shit, but the brig is not a nice place so i shut my mouth long enough for my contract to run out.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the officers I've seen that treat enlisted personnel badly are the young kids right out of ROTC. Officers that cross over from being enlisted are the best officers out there IMO.

·
Hayabusa Abuser
39 Posts
I was a commissioned officer for 22 years in the US Army. I started out as a Private First Class, and after completing my 4 year enlistment went back to college and got my degree. Then I applied to OCS and was commissioned in the Infantry, and later became a Special Forces officer. So my advice is to do well in school, but take a variety of different classes; take up a sport you know nothing about; keep yourself in the best physical condition you can; read everything you can, and not just about the military; take a course in psychology; join a team and play some intramural or even local pick-up sport; don't get mixed up with drugs or the wrong crowd; and live every day as though your Mom and Dad were watching everything you did. Good luck.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That all sounds like great advice, I do or have already done most of that, but it's good to hear it. If you don't mind me asking, what rank did you retire at? I'd like to hit O-6 or even become a 1-star, we'll just have to see how things go over the next 25 years :)

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Most of the officers I've seen that treat enlisted personnel badly are the young kids right out of ROTC. Officers that cross over from being enlisted are the best officers out there IMO.

That depends on where you are stationed. I have meet alot of previous enlisted officers who were total assholes. They thought since they put on the kahki they were these all high and mighty people. Of course these were the exact same people as E6's thought they were the shit as well.

My best advice for you would be, to never forget where you started out. Remember the hard work you put in, remember the way YOU were treated when you were an officer and how you hated, then don't act that way to enlisted folks.

Congrats on going to OCS. If I had stayed in I was contemplating going to OCS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
7 years in the Corps taught me a few things.

For one, "zeros" as we called them rarely new anything about what is was that needed to be done. Watch the moviue Heartbreak Ridge and you'll know what I mean.

They would say do this or that, and ultimately we had to do something else because they had no concept of what it took to get the job done.

Mustangs were those who served prior enlisted and most were squared away remembering where they came from. It was the idiots who never broke a sweat who acted like their shit didn't stink and the biggest concern of the day was what the O-Club was serving for dinner.....Surf and Turf or Lamb Chops.

I got out a Staff Sergeant Select(sergeant pending promotion) for the number one reason of having to deal with fools with there heads up their asses. mde doing my job impossible.

Bottom line, don't act like you know it all. Learn and treat your troops like professionals and you will command the highest respect from them. If you don't know what to do, ask. If you fuk up something, take responsibility for it and fix the problem and move on instead of acting like it wasn't you.

And most importantly, know your troops and talk to them often. They are the life blood of the service and without them, your orders will go unfilled. If there is a better way or more efficient approach, believe me, they will tell you! All it takes is a little communication and you will succeed and your command will grown in calibre.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did 2years of AFROTC in college...I took the AFOQT and passed barely but hey. Dropped out and went to Army cause Air Force wasnt for me. I commisioned in May this year as a Military Police Officer. If you scored 1450, you will have no problem with the test unless you want to be a Pilot or Nav...if so start studying because its really competitive.

Good Luck

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
firefighter81 said:

I'm hoping to become an Officer in the next 3 years... I'm an E-5 with 9 years in already (27 years old) I have up until I'm 35 to get comissioned in the field I want..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went through ROTC for my commission. Some good advice here. There are great officers and great enlisted (and great contractors) out there, but there are some real shitheads in all those careers as well. Thing is, O's get less slack because that's the way the military works. (at least in my limited experience).
Study for the AFOQT, it's not like the SAT. There's a lot of crap there that it won't matter how smart you are. Just don't get too cocky and you'll be fine. It's a long road (and a lot of BS) to get though before those butter bars. Keep you noggin down and remember why you started in the first place. Good luck!

(btw, I'm a Capt, stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK flying F-15C's)

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I WILL be a comissioned officer in the Air Force in the next three years, it's not a goal, it will happen :D

Anyways, I've been prepping myself for my first try at the AFOQT test, I have no doubt that I will do well (scored a 1460 on my SAT's) but I'm still a little nervous about it because there are sections that weren't on the SAT's (Aviation, Mechanical, Charts, etc). I bought a study guide, that's what I've been doing the last week and a half, sitting here studying, and posting on SBN, lol, nothing else really. Just looking for some advice on anyone who has taken the test recently or someone who wants to give me general advice about being the best officer I can be.

Thanks,
Jason
Good luck on your endeavor. We're always looking for good officers in the AF and most of the time, homegrown ones are better than what we find in the field.

Looks like you've gotten some sound advice already from the board, so you should be good to go. Keep your head up, fly low and avoid the radar!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Make good friends with the E-8's and E-9's. Prior service officers are "Un-touchable". I forgot the stats but only 1 percent of enlisted people ever make E-9. Expect to serve a couple of years each for O-1/O-2 and another 7 for O-3. O-4 is a joke and is usually another 2 years time. If you make O-4 you will make O-5. O-6 is rare and usually given to pilots. Good luck. AND for godsake if there is a freakin war go. Volunteer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rascus said:
My best advice for you would be, to never forget where you started out. Remember the hard work you put in, remember the way YOU were treated when you were an officer and how you hated, then don't act that way to enlisted folks.
Well said!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts