Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm hoping to find/purchase a lower handlebar for the FZ6. About an inch or inch and a quarter lower. I want a lower position for less wind buffeting. And better appearance.

also, I am new to this forum and am suprise of how many of "us" there are that are into tweaking and talking about our bikes!!!

mutt

·
Registered
8 Posts
I want lower bars too. The Yamaha site says that these need a shortened throttle cable. Think the FZ1 one will fit, or should I investigate doing a little cutting?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I installed the LSL bars from spiegel, they are flat with no rise and very little pull back, I did not have to change any cables, just turn the buttons a bit for clearance. do a search on the forums for my old thread it has pictures. They work great and are much more comfortable.. PM me if you need the pictures or tips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Cavi!!!!

Since your bars work great as you say, I am THOROUGHLY interested in purchasing a pair also. Is there a number that I can call for the bars and will they ship to Canada? Also, any other information that you have not included would be helpful!!!

thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
that is the correct site, go to their handlebars section and there you will see the ones I bought, they are the drag bars that have no rise, they work great, they also have one that has the same pullback but 45 mm rise, so about the same rise as the standard bars, but less pullback than the standard bars. I am really happy with the drag bars, position is much better than the original bars, they are 4 inches wider on each side, I cut 2.5 inches from each side, bit I will probably go back and cut another 1/4 inch as I will reinstall my throttlemeister, and it needs to be inset about 1/2 inch. If you plan on using their plastic ends then cut the bars about 2.75 inches on both sides, if you leave them any wider than this it is not very comfortable, too wide. There are two other things, on a full lock turn the lever will hit the faring, but you never go that far when riding, and with the original bars when you did full turn your hand hits the tank, and it doesn't with these bars. Last is that you have to rotate the button clusters to the exact position that they will clear the tank, this requires patients but works out perfectly, look at my pictures. Also I loosened the front brake line and rotated it where it goes in the master cylinder to give more clearance (real easy).
if you want a bit more lean go for it it is worth it, and you can choose what color bars you want!!

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Mr_You said:
I'm still considering lowering (rotating) the stock bars.
I rotated mine tonight. They hit the gas tank in full turn but are much more comfortable. I didn't get a chance to road test yet because of rain. As soon as I can, I'm going to get some straight bars like Cavi or another if I find one that I think will work. If this works, I may just get some hard rubber blocks to glut to the steering stops so that my hands won't hit the tank. I probably lost 5 degrees of turning, but thats not terribly bad. What I did was loosen them, turn the bars all the way to the side, then drop the bar until it touched the tank. Not liking that, I steered back just a tad and the bars dropped a lot more. I'll let you know what I think after I road test. Here is a couple pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was wondering if it was possible to rotate them completely over. So instead of the bars arching up they arch down. So ideally the bars will be in the same position but arching downward. Is there enough clearance from the fairing to do this? Obviously you'll have to rotate the controls and levers. Would probably lose tank clearance which sucks if you wanna lock the steering.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
As an update, I don't recomend rotating the bars down. I absolutely loved the comfort and the more leaned over pose but found it very anoying to smash my fingers between the tank and bar. As far as riding goes, it was the bomb! The bike is much more flickable but I would prefer to have them low and forward more for even more forward lean and steering leverage. I did serve my purpose which was to find out if I would like different bars and now I know for certain that I MUST find a solution and will probably go with Cavi's setup. If only someone would make a lowered bar mount to go with a straight bar I think it would be perfect. You mentioned turning the bar upside down and I honestly thought about that too but after the problems that I had lowering them rightside up, i think the problems that I faced would be even worse. The bar reaches back way too much. Try it and let us know.
Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
flipping the bar will not work, they will hit the tank and faring. Leaning them is great as Fazr6 found out but they will pinch your thumbs on full turn, mind you you never do full turn while riding, but when you are manuverung to park, ouch!!!.
My setup is even more comfortable as the pullback is reduced, so you get a great riding position and a great position to ride in full tuck. Mine does not hit the tank, but in full turn, the levers touch the faring, which is not nearly as bad as the grip hitting the tank. The bars I bought are less than 100, and you can cut them to the length you like which is great, and they are lighter than the OEM. There are no real mods needed to do the swap, you just have to adjust the buttons as to clear the tank, and you have to turn the brake line on the front brake as not to kink it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone know the exact specs for the stock bars? I think the width is 680mm. But I never measured the rise, clamp area and height. My bike is not at my house at this time, so I can't get to it. thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Anyone looked into replacing the top triple-clamp with one from an R6 with the clip-ons? Don't know if it's even feasible...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I considered it for 2 seconds, I think the bars would not fit, look at your faring it is real high near the bars, go with my setup it is about as low as you will get, and it feels great

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is it possible to buy or lower the handle bars?

I find that when riding over 60mph the wind is blowing me around, so I generally bend down a bit behind the wind shield. When I do this, my arms feel weird in that position and was wondering if I could lower my handle bars just a little bit, or buy new ones that don't have the bend in them. I know there are taller wind screens I can get, but I like the looks of the stock screen especially after I painted it.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I actually feel quite comfortable tucked in like that. I can rest my elbows on my knees, and it feels like I could ride like that for hours.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts