Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of doing the Bun Burner 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours for those that don't know).

I've got to do a little "training" first tho, as this would be my longest ride ever. Most I've done in a day so far is around 300 miles. Any tips on preparing myself for this (physically and mentally)?

Also, I'll be doing this on my SV650 naked. Stock seat as well as a tiny Buell Blast windscreen. Bars are lower than stock (not uncomfortably so tho), but I MIGHT put the stock bars back on if I do this.

Any tips anyone?

·
Registered
569 Posts
1000 = Saddle Sore
1500 in 36 hours = Bun Burner
1500 in 24 hours = Bun Burner Gold

;)

But I don't know anything about the IBA. :)

I did an SS1000 last year and I hated it so much I didn't even send in my documentation. But it was all interstate and terribly boring. I plan on doing another one, but I'm going to incorporate a route that'll take me down Deal's Gap, the Cherohala Skyway, and highway 28. So it'll be a lot less boring.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops...meant saddle sore 1000.

I'll likely be doing interstate miles as well, just to see if I can do it... self gratification reasons I guess.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I'll be doing some IBA rides later in the year most likely. Nothing better than being in the saddle

·
Registered
569 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Oops...meant saddle sore 1000.

I'll likely be doing interstate miles as well, just to see if I can do it... self gratification reasons I guess.
Do yourself a favor and carry whatever clothing you'll need to cover a 40 degree temperature shift. I did mine in the middle of Summer last year and when the sun went down the temperature dropped to the point that my Aerostich Roadcrafter with a t-shirt on beneath it just wasn't enough. That made the last 300 miles quite miserable. In my case, all I really needed was a sweatshirt.

Music is good, I highly recommend a pair of Etymotic ER6i earphones. If you have no music, at least wear a pair of earplugs. The windnoise over that long period of time can really get annoying. To stave off monkeybutt wear some riding dedicated pants that have no seams between your butt and the seat. Blue jeans are a bad idea. Also, wear biker shorts or moisture wicking underwear, absolutely no cotton underpants.

Also pick up a Throttle Rocker or a Cramp Buster at your local shop, they're only about $10 and worth many times their weight in gold over a long interstate ride.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Mykl said:
Also pick up a Throttle Rocker or a Cramp Buster at your local shop, they're only about $10 and worth many times their weight in gold over a long interstate ride.
+1

Bought a throttle rocker for my bike a while back; now I wish I had a vista cruise, really. Also, be prepared to take stops on your trip to shake out your legs and hands. If you start feeling your limbs fall asleep, STOP. That will cause you to make less accurate movements, and put you in danger of a getoff.

If you have a cruiser with highway bars, maybe that'd be better for your first saddle sore--or, maybe you should do some shorter jaunts (I've done a bunch of 500 mile days building up to my move.)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my boss will be doing the same ride, and if I can talk him into using his 99(ish) Harley Springer I may use it instead. Dunno tho, I may take the first by myself I case I puss out half way through it, so I'll most likely be on the SV.

I'll probably start doing a few non stop 200 mile rides up to around 500 - 600 mile rides before I go for the real thing. I'd hate to get 500 miles out, only to figure out I can't make it back, so I want to make damn sure I'm ready for it.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I'll actually probably try to find some sort of throttle lock rather than rocker.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Shoot a pm to FZ1matt. I am not sure if has done this one, but he is riding rediculous ditances all the time. In fact, I think right now he is riding around a few of the great lakes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm working up to riding longer. Yesterday I rode about 300 miles and today I rode another 150 about. But its pretty easy to ride 300 miles when you are riding through glacier national park so I want to make sure I can do it when there is nothing to really look at. I hope to be able to put in like 700 or 800 miles a day here pretty soon it just depends on if the weather stay nice.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My average day is probably between 400-600 miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Cbr f4i and my longest sitting has been 850miles overnight from Ft. lauderdale to Durham N.C. Best advice I can give you, be prepared for the rain and the cold. Buy some water proof boots, I have a pair of alpinestars gortex boots. Nothing sucks more then wet feet and hands for 1000miles. Same for the hands bring a pair of water proof cold winter riding gloves. I also wear full leathers when traveling, they do a good job of keeping me warm and dry through "not to heavy" storms.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Also by wearing the full leathers your body won't dehydrate so fast,the wind causes that in case you didn't know.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I knew about wind dehydrating you, but probably won't be able to get the pants before I do this. I do have a jacket tho.

I've already got a rain suit, but still need waterproof boots and gloves. Between taking the rainsuit, and a sweatshirt, I believe I'll be ready for rain/cold. I'll likely be heading south for this (Daytona Beach will likely be the turnaround point), so I won't EXPECT any cold stuff. It'll also probably be about a month before I make an attempt, so it should be nice and warm (HOT).

Well, now I'm off to go ride in the rain. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Let me get this straight. Your going to ride your bike 1000 miles just to say you've done it before? At the least go down the daytona, fuck some fine spanish woman, then come back. They you can tell everyone at hooters how you drove 1000, and talked a girl out her draws all in 24hrs :cheers

hope you have fun and its flordia, expect rain, thunder etc. Dont believe the hype about sunshine and lolly pops. I've never taken a trip and not hit rain at some point or another.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My friend and I just finished our first Saddle Sore last night. I'll post a story on it somewhere once I fully recover, lol (up for 28 hours straights, the ride itself took 22 hours due to massive traffic jams approaching Miami).

Pick a route that will keep you away from heavy traffic as much as possible. Stop for 20 minutes at a time to rest and get gas - even if you don't need the gas, you might wanna ride for 100 miles (or 150, like us yesterday) straight without stopping and won't care for the interruption of a gas break.

If you start to feel sleepy, take a nap at a rest area. DO IT. I pushed myself a little too hard at one point yesterday, and it could've gotten ugly (gotta send a big thank you note to my inner auto pilot).

If you take a pain reliever for soreness on the ride, make sure it won't get you drowsy. DON'T rely on coffee or Red Bull or other crap - remember, what comes up must come down, so the high you might get will make for a bad low later.

Eat light but carry snacks for the stops. You'll burn up a ton of calories while riding so don't even worry about it.

Make sure your bike is 100% - tires good (check the air halfway on the ride), chain, cables all lubed JUST before the ride (must lube a chain every 1000 miles, right?), all fluids are good, etc.

And make sure you carry some cold weather gear - at least a sweatshirt, as mentioned. Once we got to Central FL, at around 4-5 AM, it was fucking freezing. I had on a mesh/leather jacket, my RAIN jacket underneath, AND two t-shirts, and I was still having to tuck in behind my double-bubble to escape the cold.

Carry a waterproof bag (big Ziploc, like a 1 gl) for the maps and receipts and stuff.

And REST before the ride!

Have fun and good luck with it.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SnookayDCC said:
Let me get this straight. Your going to ride your bike 1000 miles just to say you've done it before?
Well, not exactly. Bragging rights has maybe, 20% to do with me doing this. 80% for self gratification. I just need to do something crazy like this for no other reason than to do it. Know what I mean?

The hardest pain killer I'll likely take will be BC or something of the sort. The last thing I need is to crash from sleepiness due to taking a percocet.

The ride around the great lakes is anothe IBA ride, but forgot what it's called.

I was hoping to do this by the end of june, but think I'll try it a little later than that. I don't want to get jammed up in holiday traffic (4th of July) and miss my 24th hour deadline. I'll probably do it somewhere in the middle of July.

Thanks for all the tips fellas. Now I just gotta train myself some before I do this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts