Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend wants to buy a bike and wants to start on a 600 but very early 90's and he has found a bike for sale. it is a 1993 suzuki rf600r. The seller is asking $3000 canadian but said it is negotiable. and the bike has 15,000 km. on it. It has never been dropped and has been taken good care of.

is this a good deal? can anyone give me some feedback i can pass on to him?

thankyou
ciao

·
Registered
143 Posts
Power: 105.00 HP (76.6 kW)) @ 11500 RPM
Torque: 61.78 Nm (6.3 kgf-m or 45.6 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM

IMHO thats quite a bit of power for someone whos never ridden before. I would suggest looking for a 250-500cc bike for a starter and work his way up. I am sure many others will tell you the same. You can get good bike info here
www.bikez.com

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I agree with qwik.. I started out on something big, and I wish I never had. Hopefully he'll take your advise and start a tad smaller. To bad ppl that want to ride confuse riding with having to be stylish.

·
Registered
304 Posts
While I agree that this bike will not be a great learner, those numbers Qwik posted are extremely optimistic. Those numbers have a 11 year old 600 performing on par with a brand new 636. I read a 95 model RF barely makes 80hp on the dyno.

Bikez.com is not trustworthy, by any means.

·
Registered
912 Posts
it will be fine those bikes aren't a bad bikes to learn on. What is the price in dollars?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
there are better starter bikes out there. for that kinda $, and they have better resale........ex500 gs500

·
Registered
681 Posts
robbieace said:
it will be fine those bikes aren't a bad bikes to learn on. What is the price in dollars?
Man, you really should sell you bike and BUY a CLUE!

BTW, unless they sold it in Canada first, they didn't make them in 93, NADA and KBB list a 94 model....and high retail on the bike is 2k US......so price wise, it's not a good deal.

And if it's truly his first bike, look elsewhere....250/500cc range.

·
Registered
143 Posts
freeride said:
While I agree that this bike will not be a great learner, those numbers Qwik posted are extremely optimistic. Those numbers have a 11 year old 600 performing on par with a brand new 636. I read a 95 model RF barely makes 80hp on the dyno.

Bikez.com is not trustworthy, by any means.
It seems like a good site for basic info on bikes, it is not a bike bible by any means. If I am reading right the numbers on there are gross hp numbers, not wheel power...

·
Registered
89 Posts
qwik huh said:
Power: 105.00 HP (76.6 kW)) @ 11500 RPM
Torque: 61.78 Nm (6.3 kgf-m or 45.6 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM

IMHO thats quite a bit of power for someone whos never ridden before. I would suggest looking for a 250-500cc bike for a starter and work his way up. I am sure many others will tell you the same. You can get good bike info here
www.bikez.com

Your numbers are wrong.

There is no way that much torque and horsepower are coming out of a 93 600cc bike. You must be mistaking it with the 900 version.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am not mistaking anything....That info was off a website. I have no idea if the numbers are correct or not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't see that bike as a bad starter bike. Keep it under 8 grand and it will be as tame as a frickin' pussy cat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
kcuddennab said:
Your numbers are wrong.

There is no way that much torque and horsepower are coming out of a 93 600cc bike. You must be mistaking it with the 900 version.
I could see that coming from the shaft maybe, but no, not to the rear wheel. Problem is, bikez.com doesn't specify.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about depreciation on that bike, it is more than 10 years old, pretty much at the end of its depreciation range if taken care of.

·
Registered
522 Posts
imo, 80 rwhp is still too much for a newb to handle, but it's not as bad as 100+ hp. I'd suggest a 500 or something of that nature for him, but then again, it is his life.

·
Registered
584 Posts
FYI: it's roughtly $2K US, and about 10K miles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts