Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Has to be around that time for that was when they went with the rubber knee grips on some of their bikes. Possibly 125 to 175cc is my guessing.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
When I was a little kid, my neighbor's dad bought an old Honda like that - a little later model, I think and I remember it was 300ccs. About the only other thing I remember is that it was black and chrome with rubber knee pads - and that it was the biggest, baddest bike I ever laid eyes on.

One day in the early spring he was going to work and hit some black ice that was on a shady part of the road and took a tumble. He got back up, rode it home and parked it under the eves behind their house. He never started it again. I was pretty little maybe 10 or 11 so I'd say this was about 1976 or 1977. (He was notorious for this kind of thing and for a long time there was a 70 Chevelle SS 396 in the woods behind their house...)

In 1985 I got my first bike and was showing it off to my neighbor Kenny after school. He was about 17 and he got the idea he should get his dad's old bike out from behind the house and go for a ride with me. So we wheeled it out, pulled all the dried grass out of the spokes, knocked the cobb webs off the bars and dumped in some chainsaw gas that was laying around. Then Kenny got a screw driver out and flipped the ignition to the "on" position and proceded to start kicking. It started on the third try and actually ran. He took it out for about a 10 mile run along side my Kawasaki and then went home and put it back behind the house.

Later his dad saw we were messing with it and got a little angry, but he never found out we actually got it running and on the road. He'd have had a heart attack if he did. Amazing, but true....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thats a cool story, did he EVER find out? (kids all grown up?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Its definetly a Dream, My uncle had one up to a couple of years ago. They are worth quite a bit restored.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Looks like a 305 or 350 maybe. Reasonably fast in its day, but with a frame that flexed too much and drum brakes, not up to today's standards. :lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts