Sport Bikes banner

Any homebrewers here?

770 views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  dubbs693 
#1 ·
I thought there was a homebrew thread here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Anyhow, just wondering if there were any other homebrewers on this forum as I am currently waiting for a batch to cool. I love brewing in the snow!

I've been brewing for about three years, but have only gotten serious about it in the last year or so. I do all-grain brewing exclusively, after starting with a couple of extract brews.

Winter if definitely the best time of year to brew, especially for a rider. The roads are covered in snow right now, so why not brew! I do most of my brewing in the fall and winter, since I love lagers, and they need to ferment/condition in cool temps, which is only possible for me in the winter, since I don't have a place to keep them cool enough during the other seasons. I've got 30 gallons in fermenters and 10 gallons in bottles at the moment.

Anyone else here brewing?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't brew myself but I'm very familiar with the process. I helped my dad brew a batch when I visited the family down in Atlanta. He's new to homebrewing though so it was some experimentation for both of us.

I'd definitely like to get into it one day but right now I have absolutely no space to store the equipment.

#3 ·
I've brewed beer once, and short meads (brewed like an ale) twice. I've been making wines for about 30 years, though. I'm looking forward to starting a few cases of peach wine this coming summer.

PhilB

Reactions: max384
#4 ·
I've been brewing around 5 years now, but still only doing extract/partial mashes. I'm slowly working on the equipment to make the all grain switch.

This past year I grew my own cascade hops, and this coming spring I'll be planting a few more varieties.

My wife makes wine, and I've started dabbling in ciders/meads but I make those in 1 gallon batches.

#6 ·
I've brewed before. Had a nice setup. Four taps in a garage frig, and several 5 gallon kegs always ready to go. Almost no bottles. Really, too much beer for my needs. I love the process of home brewing, but I lack the time or patience now with so many hugely amazing beers on the market to hunt down. When I started brewing, there were very few great craft beers available on the shelf, and the nearest micro brewery or brew pub was several hours away. Not the case anymore.
I applaud your efforts, Max! Nice brew house you have there. Love brewing in the winter. Saves time chilling the wort.

#10 ·
Funny you posted in here today. Well, after three years of brewing, I finally took the dive into kegging today... Sorta.

I was in talking to my local homebrew shop owner today and got talking about kegging. It's something that I knew I wanted to do for quite awhile, but today I had a bug up my ass to just do it. I left my LHBS and took a look on Craigslist. I found a free working refrigerator. I stopped by and picked it up and went back to my LHBS.

I got a three tap system with dual regulator (one for filling a keg, plus the line out to the three tap system), a 15lb filled CO2 tank, and four kegs. Everything is new except the kegs and CO2 tank. One problem is that he was out of kegs! Oh well, I guess I can wait... I usually shop around, but his price seemed reasonable, I like the guy, and I can sometimes be a bit impulsive! I paid ahead of time for the kegs, and he said I'm first in line when they come in (withing a week or two).

Anyhow, everything is set up, with the exception of a bunch of stickers to put on the fridge and the kegs and beer, of course!

#13 ·
It's a 15lb tank. It only cost an additional $20 to go with a 15lb over the 5lb tank. That should pay for itself after only a few CO2 refills.

I've thought about it but... I'm the kind of guy that will drink as many beers as there are in the fridge...

What really sucks is that there are no good craft beers here, it's all macro brewery crap.
Sounds like one gallon brewing might be perfect for you!

#16 ·
Very nice! I may do one more lager this season if I hurry. I don't have a cold fermenter, so I rely on the winter cold to keep lagers at their lagering temperature.

Cream ale is my go-to lawnmower beer. It only takes a month to go from grain to glass, it's light-bodied, and fairly low alcohol... Everything I need in a good lawnmower beer! :eek:nfloor

#17 ·
Making a ruination clone tonight actually. Gotta run to the store and pick up yeast and test out my new stir plate I built. :D

I brew extract only for now. Looking to do partial or BIAB but that requires a much b***** SS pot. I'm completely thrilled doing what I do now, so no real rush.

My last IPA. Simple ass schedule and DH of simcoe/amarillo, 7 of DME, 1 of 20l. The dogs love it when I brew too since they get homemade cookies from the spent grains.

#21 ·
Just finished my 2nd fermentation of a strawberry wheat ale - used a ton of strawberries and I think so far it came out pretty good - Just bottled a couple days ago - can't wait to try the finished product. An IPA is next!

Attachments

Reactions: max384 and jk750
#23 ·
Definitely start soon if you're pursuing this career. It look good in an interview when you can tell your prospective employer that you've been homebrewing for years, so they'll then know you've not only got experience and knowledge, but you've also got a passion for it. Plus, it will make classes a bit easier. Even if you're doing chemistry that may seem pretty far removed from actually brewing, you'll be able to see how some parts of a dry subject actually do relate to brewing.

#26 ·
^^^ That's a great idea! I certainly wouldn't spend $250 for it, but if there were an event, I'd definitely like to try them just to know.

I built a stir plate for aerating yeast starters today. It's ridiculous for me to throw out the yeast cake at the bottom of my fermenters and then buy another packet of yeast each time I brew, especially since I almost exclusively use Nottingham yeasts for all my ales. So, now I can wash my yeast and then just make a yeast starter a few days before my brew day instead of buying a new packet of yeast each time.

Cost me about $20 to make this, since I already had a few parts lying around. Not the prettiest stir plate around, but it works.

Works great.

(not a starter, just aerating some freshly washed yeast before pitching)

#28 ·
That would work fine. You'll just need a way to cool your wort after the boil. There are many methods. Some bring the kettle in and set it in an ice bath, some put the kettle in the fridge, some use an immersion chiller, and the most elegant way is an expensive countercurrent exchange chiller. I use a home built immersion chiller made out of 50' of 3/8" copper tubing.

#30 ·
Strawberry Wheat Ale came out amazing - Pretty cool how the taste changes week to week - So far everyone I've had try it has loved it as well - On to the IPA next!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.