Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be heading up towards "the gap" middle of September from Florida with a few of my riding buddies.

Was planning on staying close to Gatlinburg but with all the THP hoopla going on I'm really wondering if staying somewhere in the more rider friendly NC wouldnt be a bad idea.

We would like somewhere safe, secure, rider friendly, close to nice roads (particulary Tail of the Dragon), with some possible entertainment nearby.

Our trip dates are from Sept 14-18.

Any suggestions on places to stay, relatively inexpensive, for about 4-6 riders would be greatly appreciated.

Would you suggest staying closer to Gatlinburg instead?

This will be my first trip up into the mountains on the bike and im highly excited in anticipation of a great vacation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Track Trash
1,312 Posts
Check out www.twowheelsonly.com It is in Suches, GA (North Georgia mountains) and is a great place to stay. Camp or stay at the lodge. GT and Brit Turner are great people who will treat you right! I've been there about 10 times over the last few years. Lots of great roads all around the area and a great ride from there to the Cherohala Skyway and Deal's Gap. Feel free to PM me if you need any info.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well...

we ended up booking a room at the Edgewater Hotel in Gatlinburg. Its not all THAT close to the gap but close enough. We kinda wanted other things to do as well (night-time = drink-a-thon). So, we will be traversing the highways to and fro and hitting some other roads as well.

NEXT FRIDAY!!!!....I CANT WAIT!

(BTW, if anyone is gonna be out on the gap the 14-18, look for a blk/yellow 929 with HID headlight, a blue 00 R6 with dual HID headlights, and a blk/yellow GSXR600...dont think he has HID....yet, haha. I started something I guess)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Late to the thread, but I think you made a good choice based on what you're looking for (night life).

I stayed in Robbinsville, NC at the Microtel. Decent town and close to the Tail, but very small and DRY. My buddy and I wanted to grab a drink after a long day of tackling the Tail but to no avail. I was very disappointed.

Definitely BYOB in Robbinsville.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, in hindsight we did everything right. A bit of riding to get to the dragon but riding through the smokies was awesome as well. Foothills pkwy was, ehhh, so so, nice views though. We did the loop, rode the Cherohala, Deals Gap, both sides of the Smokies into and out of Gatlinburg, etc. Had a blast.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Glad you had a good time. We just came home on Saturday. Even with the rain we had a blast. Go up around there about 2 x a year and in spite of trying really hard haven't found a bad road yet. The THP really have screwed up the dragon though. We are fortunate that we were able to ride the dragon when the posted speed was still 55, thats been a while. It's just not as much fun at 30 but I really can't stand "performance awards" aka speeding tickets.
Glad u had a good time.
Anita

1 - 8 of 8 Posts