Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I'm looking for some books or some online articles about bodywork and preping a bike for paint. Also wouldn't mind finding a book about pinstriping. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

My bike is getting pretty close to 25,000 miles. I've kept the thing in great shape, but all the little rock chips on the nose fairing, front fender, and leading edges of the fairings are kinda starting to bother me. This winter might be the time to do something about it. I've had a little experience with body work quite a while ago, so I'm just looking to do some reading and try to remember some of the stuff I forgot. If I can read up on it, I'm pretty sure I can smooth out the rock chips and get the body work prepped, and then take it all to a professional painter to have him lay the color down. I do almost everything on my bike myself, and hopefully this is one more thing I can say I did on my own.

Plus, looking for the pinstriping info for some other stuff I want to possibly do later.

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
If you look in the Performance and Customizing area, there is a sticky on paint prep. As for learning to pinstripe: there are a number of good books out there, but learning that type of skill by reading is kind of like trying to learn how to wheelie from a textbook. You may eventually 'technically' wheelie.... but to get even mediocre at it will take tons of practice. To become average, you'll need some hands-on training.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Gras has written some good articles on paint and prep work.

Ive never seen a book that was worth its price on the subject.

As far as pinstriping, there are some really good books that deal with the different brushes and techniques. What they lack is the ability to show you how to properly drag a brush.

You can go to most any automotive paint stores and rent videos on those subjects.

I did that for pinstriping and I made some test panels and just started practicing. There are 10 basic moves you need to do about 10,000 times so your muscle memory is perfect and you can indeed drag a straight tight line.

The book on it (for learning about the techniques and brushes is called "PINSTRIPING MASTERS" or something. Its pretty thick book that has a black cover with a big crazy pinstripe tribal on the front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts