Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a newbie and fell in love with the FZ6, any girls out there with this bike? How do you like it? I am debating between this bike and the SV650S, but am leaning towards the FZ6.

Advice Please :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Buy the FZ6

SV650 exhaust note is little better than a 9.9 Johnson outboard.

You will get a lot of responses from female owners on this site...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would think the SV has the edge if you're shorter and/or have less body strength- because it's lighter by 40 lbs, and seems a little lower and narrower. It also has a very predictable power band that seems pretty good for newbs, although I don't think the FZ is that bad in this regard.

Well, I do have a penis so that's just my 1.24 cents. I hope to pick up an SV for a track bike at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Sarchi said:
I would think the SV has the edge if you're shorter and/or have less body strength- because it's lighter by 40 lbs, and seems a little lower and narrower. It also has a very predictable power band that seems pretty good for newbs, although I don't think the FZ is that bad in this regard.

Well, I do have a penis so that's just my 1.24 cents. I hope to pick up an SV for a track bike at some point in the future.
I've heard that the SV has a bit of a reach to the bars as they are using the 1,000 frame for the 650. Light, lower maybe, but a longer reach complicates things.

I also have a penis but that is my $0.43 rebuttal to your 1.24 cent comment.

·
Registered
341 Posts
There are a few female riders on this board who have the fz6.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should mention I am not the tallest girl in the world. Only like 5'5.

Any short guys out there have problems? Those of you who don't have "short man syndrome" ... hehe.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
At 5'11, I can flat foot the bike but there isn't a lot of room there. At 5'5, this bike is probably a bit big for you. Look at getting a deal on an '04 Honda 599 for something comparible in a small package.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The Ninja's are good starter bikes and the new ones also have the undertail. Anything on or below 500cc's have lower seat height and better starter bikes in my opinion. WTF--I'm not a girl, why am I replying to this thread?!?!?!?

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Seat heightS

SUZUKI
SV650 : 80 cm
Bandit 650: 77 cm
GS500: 79 cm

YAMAHA
FZ6: 79.5cm

If a guy would have asked the same, I just would have said: Do your own research you bum...

I just have a penis, no brain... :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha, looks like I need to go and sit on all the different bikes and see what fits best. Seat heights all look pretty similar, and I can flat foot the SV650S just fine (well, close enough).

·
Registered
109 Posts
i m a 5'5" wee lad and i don t have too much trouble with the bike. at lights i just lean to one side. it took a bit of getting used to but its a small price to pay for a beauty of a bike. i was having the same debate and i sat on the sv and didn t feel as comfortable on the fz6. being a little guy it means little arms. and the sv did have a further reach with made me feel uncomfortable. spend a day cruising shops and sitting on a bunch of bikes. when picking a bike no one person can tell you whats good. its all about feel. just 2 cents from a wee lad....

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You mean flat footing it but you have to stand up? I'm thinking just sitting on the bike feet on the ground like I'm having lunch on the tank.

The 599 has a seat height which is about an entire half inch shorter.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
How "newbie" are you? Male or female, I wouldn't recommend the FZ6 to a complete newbie. Not being able to flat-foot the bike just adds to the complications of trying to learn on a bike like the FZ6. If you're completely new to riding, I'd get something shorter, lighter, and used. Your first bike won't be your last.

·
Registered
53 Posts
fraggle1 said:
How "newbie" are you? Male or female, I wouldn't recommend the FZ6 to a complete newbie. Not being able to flat-foot the bike just adds to the complications of trying to learn on a bike like the FZ6. If you're completely new to riding, I'd get something shorter, lighter, and used. Your first bike won't be your last.
I agree. I would not recommend this as a first bike. I am not able to reach the ground flat footed. My first bike was a Ninja 500, and was able to reach the ground no problem. That was a good first bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am pretty new, I have ridden before but never had my own bike. I just want something that I can kind of grow into, and am not bored with it in a year.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I think women stop growing when they reach 18 years of age.:lao

I think it can be a starter bike, but not the best, and only if you're really careful and have a lot of self-control. It takes a lot of getting used to since the controls are quite touchy. A little bump and the throttle's gonna send you flying. Needs a lot of finess to use the clutch and throttle. And the weight... good luck backing up. I still recommend a smaller bike for at least a season. You can always trade it in for an FZ6 anytime.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My wife is actuallyt he FZ6 owner in our household. This is her 4th bike in the 3 seasons she's been riding. Her first bike was an '03 SV650. A great bike, but she was looking for a bit more. Well, her 2nd bike was a "bit" more...it was an '03 ZZR1200. The bike was great for touring and out on the open road, but it was a bit heavy for her in town.

She bought an '04 ZX-6R (636) last season and she loves it. We sold her ZZR this year and replaced it with an '05 FZ6. She loves that also. The 636 and the FZ6 are hers. She's 5' 4" and has no problem with either bike.

You'd never guess watching her ride that's she's only in her 3rd full season of riding. She's very good. She's had a good teacher. LOL

1 - 20 of 42 Posts