·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
858 Posts
Jim Karam said:
http://www.trailerinabag.com/ Seems intriguing to me. I'm tempted, but I thought I better ask for advice.
Sorry can't help with the trailer in a bag one but I didn't want to mess with having to deal with my trailer just for a single bike so I got a Moto-Tote and have been happy with it so far. Heres a pic or 2 I'm sure if you search I posted other pics of it last year. Oh i have also added temporary brake/tail lights since. There not the best pics of it but I will try and get more when I have the bike back up on there this year for a trip soon.

Attachments

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I like the moto-tote better. With that light of a trailer your bike and trailer will be bouncing all over the place. I used a 6x8 steel trailer to haul my race quad and over bumpy roads it threw the trailer everywhere. IMO

·
Registered
109 Posts
http://www.mototote.com/default.aspx?ProductID=44

I am loving this idea - normally $479, currently $429 (wonder if a newer model is coming?)

Guys that have this - Is it difficult rolling the bike up the skinny ramp without running off the side?? I am sure you just have to be careful (who wouldn't) but is there a lip on each edge of the ramp to "help" keep the bike from going over the edge? (looks like it in the picture - just want to confirm)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My neighbor's got one. It's awsome. I just need to get a ramp for the truck.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Karst, what "one" does your neighbor have? I too liked the idea of the moto-tote, but the hitch on my GMC Envoy is only rated for 400 pounds.

·
Registered
858 Posts
kevbelz said:
http://www.mototote.com/default.aspx?ProductID=44

I am loving this idea - normally $479, currently $429 (wonder if a newer model is coming?)

Guys that have this - Is it difficult rolling the bike up the skinny ramp without running off the side?? I am sure you just have to be careful (who wouldn't) but is there a lip on each edge of the ramp to "help" keep the bike from going over the edge? (looks like it in the picture - just want to confirm)
I got mine from this company from Ebay, they usually have one or 2 on there.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ategory=34284&item=4560514188&sspagename=WDVW
could save you a few pennies maybe. You will want the sports model, the rear is wider for our larger tire and the unit comes with a ramp that you have attached. I would suggest being sure your hitch can handle the extra tounge weight too. You may also notice the rear end sagging more when the bikes up there but I resolved that with some air-lift bags on my truck that already had heavy duty springs from my 3" lift, I just pump in air when ever I have it back there to keep everything level. I also suggest the light kit or make a custom setup when you get a chance I made mine removable heavy duty velcro, so I just remove it when stored so not to get damaged. As for ease of rolling it up it fit on the ramp the lip helps keep it centered and then it narrows as you push the front wheel all the way down the length of the channel. I will say I usually do mine alone but a second hand may help some when you try to get the first strap on :D

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Jim Karam said:
Karst, what "one" does your neighbor have? I too liked the idea of the moto-tote, but the hitch on my GMC Envoy is only rated for 400 pounds.

Go to U-Haul and buy a class III hitch and put it on yourself. You take the bolts out of the rear bumper and mount it to the frame with the bumper. Add the plug in wire harness and you are set!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Trailer in a bag: 1196.00
Fender Kit: 99
Shipping: 150
Small tires, no suspension, poor handling: No charge.
Price: It ain't priceless but its sure priced like it is. :rolleyes

Check out the small folder at Harbor Freight.
Couldn't agree more. I have a full size trailer(5X8X3) with a ramp gate, special leaf spring free axle with sealed bearings, 15 inch 6 lug wheels and a spare tire to boot and only paid $1000 for it. And I can haul 5000 pounds in it, I seriously doubt that the trailer in a bag can.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just drive my bike instead of hauling it with a car ;-)

Sorry, could´nt help it :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Yikes, One california pothole and that damn thing would be dragging along on its side, and for that price they have to be on crack.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Moto tote looks great but my car only takes a class I hitch, and the moto tote requires a Class III (no, I don't want another car). Found a trailer-in-a-bag on line for $600 and wondering if it's the way to go for me. I want to bring my bike to with me to Utah for the summer. Has anyone actually tried it?

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
I like the mototote, but since i have a truck it's pointless for me but that'd be my choice if i had to buy something. My only complaint with a truck is how bloody high the tailgate is :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Trailer in a bag: 1196.00
Fender Kit: 99
Shipping: 150
Small tires, no suspension, poor handling: No charge.
Price: It ain't priceless but its sure priced like it is. :rolleyes

Check out the small folder at Harbor Freight.
+1
The folding trailer at harbor freight is $249. I almost bought one. It's a WAY better deal. You can get 6 of the for the same money. I bought a brand new super deluxe trailer for my 2 PWC's for less than a third of that much.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This does seem to be a nice little deal - still light enough for my little car, too. So - do you just tie down plywood, or what?

(New to bikes, trailers, everything!)

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
You just bolt down plywood for your decking using the existing holes in the rails. I then picked up a removalbe wheel chock off of ebay, and a cayon dancer, and 4 ratcheting tie straps. I put some eye bolts through a few of the holes to attach the tie-straps too, and I was good to go. To be on the safe side, since I was traveling such a distance, I picked up a spare wheel & tire for only $12. There is a place to mount it on the tongue.

The only thing that I didn't like about the harbor freight trailer are the metal clips they give you to attach the wires for the lights to the trailer frame. They ended up pinching my lights and blowing one of my fuses when I took it for a test run after I got it all assembled. I replaced them with the plastic double sticky back ones, and some zip ties.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts