Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soup :: On The Tube Or Down The Tubes? Is DMG Superbike Going Off The Air? :: 01-30-2013

The current situation regarding DMG's Superbike television package is that only a handful--if that--of races will be televised in 2013. At this time, only Daytona and the Laguna Seca MotoGP/DMG round will be televised on Speed. It is expected at some point in 2013 that Speed will morph into a Fox branded sports network and show selected motorsports programming along with mainstream (ball and stick) sports.

A group of concerned individuals are currently petitioning motorcycle manufacturers, aftermarket firms and outside industry (energy drink) companies for funds to underwrite a new for 2013 television package for the DMG Superbike series on either Versus/NBC or CBS networks.

Presumably, there is a tiered level of support available to companies being asked to underwrite the programming and production costs. One OEM source said last week that they were pitched a level of support with a price tag of seven figures for the ambitious project. This was framed as this OEM's contribution.

This development, petitioning the manufacturers for support for a component of the series, is either deliciously ironic or massively humbling, depending on your perspective.

Ironic: when the DMG takeover of AMA Pro Racing was announced, numerous persons in the DMG power structure stated that while, admittedly, the series they purchased had somehow plodded its way into a degree of success with support largely from the manufacturers and the motorcycle industry as a whole, the only way that the series could achieve "the big time" was for it to be released from the manufacturers' influence, support and control. Only when the series was released from the claws of the manufacturers and the motorcycle industry could it attain real success, with support from outside industry companies, like those seen sponsoring cars, teams and events in NASCAR. DMG were going to change the state of motorcycle racing as we knew it but they could not do so with those factory transporters in the paddock--they needed to be outside doing demo rides and autograph sessions.

Now a consortium of people, presumably with the knowledge and consent of DMG, are petitioning those very same motorcycle manufacturers who had the factory teams they wanted out of the paddock so that the series can have the same level of television that it had in the mid-2000s (when most races were live on Speed). This is nothing short of deliciously ironic.

Humbling: It goes without saying that Jim France and the Daytona International Speedway are titans of American motorsports. A beach blanket is shaken in Daytona Beach and the forces of that move are felt all over the United States. The folks in Daytona Beach are renown for their ability to solve complex issues in motorsports with a phone call. NASCAR has marched like General Patton on the American TV scene, with a new $2.4 billion dollar TV package signed and sealed two years before the current one even expired.

It is widely speculated that France and company, if they so chose to do so, could cure every ill that faces the Superbike and Dirt track series' in less than a month and without ever leaving their offices. Need sponsors? Call existing NASCAR sponsors and ask for support of Jim's other properties. This is what DMG suggested they may do, remember, in order to bring in new companies from outside the motorcycle industry.

Instead, by and large, DMG has not made the investment in the series that most expected that it would, nor have they attracted the sheer number of advertisers and sponsors that most expected they would. That said, nearly anyone with a vested interest in the series will profess that the series is much improved now, and in every possible way. Maybe it is, for those few who still have jobs in the paddock.

Regardless, it must be a remarkably humbling experience when a billionaire and his partners can't bolster his pet series into a successful venture or land it a TV deal. And that inability has now forced them to return on bended knee and plea for help from some of the very motorcycle manufacturers that they at one time wished to remove as a factory team presence from the paddock.

Proponents of the series suggest that there is a difference between old DMG and new DMG. If that is the case, then maybe this is a great opportunity for new DMG--if it exists--to pay for the sins of the former.

How about as a "make good" to the motorcycle industry for its previous colossally stupid act of arrogance, DMG underwrites the new TV deal?

All of it.
:read

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The racing's great. It's a ban on magneti traction control away from being awesome. DSB is the second best racing around (Moto 2 is the best).

Unfortunately, Fox doesn't seem to have plans on keeping real racing on Speed. It's a more pathetic statement on Fox than AMA Pro Superbike.

Hopefully, CBS Sports or NBC Sports takes it over and leaves Ralph Shaheen with Fox.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
We can still hope for NBC, or Velocity. Ya never know, with F1 gone from SPEED, they may NEED the programming.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
When DMG took over the series, 'buying' it from AMA for over $1M IIRC, Jim France was completely hands-off which allowed Roger to shit on everyone - including the sponsors. Great way to handle your investment. It's hard to feel bad for them now with the lingering shit economy holding them down. Fox fucking up SPEED is a great irony, though SPEED is merely a shell of what it used to be.

Velocity, can you hear opportunity knocking?

The final irony is that the racing is better than it's been in a long time. Too bad the teams are the ones ultimately paying the price. For their sakes, I hope a TV deal can be found.

Reactions: Shamrock627

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DSB might be exciting, but Superbike was a one pony snooze show last season. At least Mladin had Spies, and vice versa.

And they aren't even real Superbikes anymore. They are SuperStock. Oh well, Yates is back.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
..Oh and how the fuck does Blake Young not have a ride?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
HUGE disappointment. Superbike is 2011 was amazing, but I'll admit I skipped to the end of most 2012 races because I knew Hayes had probably won, and he usually did. But DSB is some of the best motorcycle racing out there right now, and Cameron Beaubier is really going to be something special, he's the next Spies.

And yeah I don't know how Blake Young has no ride, but his team really dropped the ball last season, I feel like he just didn't have the bike to go head to head with Hayes anymore, while Yamaha was pouring a ton of development money into the effort.

Also Elena Myers is also out of a ride right now. Yeah she's no champ, but she's a female with two race wins under her belt, that has to count for something.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
IMO, Blake Young doesn't have a ride, because he got lazy. In any given race in 2011, Young was like 1-5 second behind or even ahead of Hayes. In 2012, Hayes is like 25-35 seconds ahead of anybody, and that is him setting a pace, not pushing.

Why did Young slow down so much? Bike? Him? Both?

List so far who doesn't have a ride:

Blake Young
Tommy Hayden
Elena Myers
Ben Bostrom

Honda is back, too. With Dane Westby.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
It has turned into a sad series

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I think Martin on a Yosh bike and a year's worth of experience for Herrin will make a huge difference. All three bikes with the good TC will be at the front. Several seconds back, you'll have a great battle between the teams that can't afford the good TC (Jordan, the two EBR teams, ESP, etc.). The big thing is, the AMA won't ban big dollar TC, which is the thing they need.

As far as them not being real superbikes, that's a joke. They're not as radical as they used to be, but they are the second most advanced superbikes left. And from what I saw, WSB plans on following BSB. If you get the chance to look at an "American Superbike" up close, you'll quickly see that if it's near the front of the grid, it's no club racer bike. Don't let Dean Adams fool you on that one. He just hates the DMG.

Cameron Beaubier is an amazing talent in DSB, as is Dane Westby. But Gerloff and Lewis are amazing riders. A couple of years ago, Gerloff was going faster on a supersport at NJMP than most of the DSB field. And don't forget, prior to EBoz flaking out and being forced to ride a Superbike, JD Beach beat Beaubier for the SS title on the same bike and if memory serves me correct, beat him for the Red Bull rookies cup as well. His teammate (and fellow Red Bull Rookies Cup champion) Gagne is a front-runner as well.

It doesn't seem like it's dead and gone quite yet:

AMA Pro Road Racing Pitching CBS Sports TV Deal To Sponsors (Updated) News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

Hopefully, they get a deal done, because Speed blows.

One last thing to think about. The DMG has brought flat track somewhat back from the dead by getting the right people in charge from the beginning. By all accounts, the roadracing division has good people there now. We're lucky to have a quality domestic series. Enjoy it.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
One last thing to think about. The DMG has brought flat track somewhat back from the dead by getting the right people in charge from the beginning. By all accounts, the roadracing division has good people there now. We're lucky to have a quality domestic series. Enjoy it.
that is because it is close to NASCAR and they can somewhat understand the left turn concept...

Reactions: jk750

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as them not being real superbikes, that's a joke. They're not as radical as they used to be, but they are the second most advanced superbikes left. And from what I saw, WSB plans on following BSB. If you get the chance to look at an "American Superbike" up close, you'll quickly see that if it's near the front of the grid, it's no club racer bike. Don't let Dean Adams fool you on that one. He just hates the DMG.
When they switched to street 17" wheels and stock fork externals, and a host of other SuperStock spec rules, I stopped referring to them as Superbikes.

Soup :: 2011 Yamaha WSBK and DMG Superbike Comparison

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
When they switched to street 17" wheels and stock fork externals, and a host of other SuperStock spec rules, I stopped referring to them as Superbikes.

Superstock?!? $300,000 could field a strong Superstock team under the old AMA Superstock rules.

Superbike Electronics: AMA Pro Team Managers Talk About What Rules Should Be For 2013 And Beyond, Part 12 News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

As for WSBK, I wonder how it'll look after 2013, since $300,000 just gets you real traction control in AMA Superbike...

Dorna moves to cap price of World Superbike machinery - News | Motorcycle Sport | WSB Results | World Supersport | MCN

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
that is because it is close to NASCAR and they can somewhat understand the left turn concept...
The flat track division is run by former flat trackers. They added sliding rules packages to allow other bikes to compete with XR750's. These days, Ninja 650's are competing with big money Harley's.

Like it was stated before, Roger Edmondson kinda shit on a lot of people in Superbike. He's gone and the leadership is better.

·
Registered
35 Posts

as someone who spends much of my time in the ama paddock, your wrong, if its so stock, try building one

also bsb and wsbk are adapting toward ama rules, the economy and sponsorship can no longer afford $250,000 bikes, that said, the lap times are even faster than those were back when they cost so much

·
Registered
35 Posts
for what its worth if you go back to when there were teams like valvoline suzuki there was less of a mfg presence as they had before the dmg and the racing was awesome

·
Registered
62 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts