such a thing as V4?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Edit :spank

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
do you mean to ask the difference between the I4's and V-twins?

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bpmull said:
the vfr's are v4's so just find out how they perform compared to the I4's
Yeah I was reading that so thats why I asked. I'm more interested in the feeling of riding a V4 than the numbers really. For instance, is power generated exponentially like an I4? And do they vibrate any at lower RPMs? Those kinds of things.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are you all retards?? He asked about V4's not radial engines or turbines or something hard to find.
VFR all V4
RC30/45 v4
RZ500
V4
Suzuki Madura v4
Honda Sabre v4

Stop acting as if he asked for a nuclear power tricycle.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
man you act like everyone knows the specs on all of those bikes..

Ive only heard of the RC's and VFR's but I thought they were V-Twins.

·
Registered
129 Posts
it also strikes me as weird that you guys dont know what a v4 is. like they said all vfr's are v4's. triumphs are 3 cylinders. atleast all the speed triples are.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
Tekvicious said:
Are you all retards?? He asked about V4's not radial engines or turbines or something hard to find.
VFR all V4
RC30/45 v4
RZ500
V4
Suzuki Madura v4
Honda Sabre v4

Stop acting as if he asked for a nuclear power tricycle.
i just thought it was a weird question since most bikes are not V4's... anyways, i rode my buddies 90 or 91 (not to sure about the year) VFR for about 120 miles on the highway, and i thought it was pretty smooth. not as fast as my 01 R6, but i am sure the newer ones are. it was pretty solid, being a Handa and all... also, it had a Yoshimura system and i thought it sounded really nice. i didn't really think that it felt much different. not sure if it was just cuz it was old, but as far as vibration, i think it shook more at high RPMs than on my R6. well take my opinion how you want, as i am comparing an early 90s VFR 750 to my 01 R6... but i don't think that it was a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Holy shit guys are you speaking english? A V-4 engine? Wow, I've never heard of such and absurd idea. Can you imagine? Damn guys, its just a motor that has four cylinders in a V configuration. Not rocket science.

But back to the original question; I've wondered the same thing myself. My EX vibrates a little and I rode my friends FZR not to long ago. If all I-4 bikes vibrate like that little bitch I'll never own one. I couldn't believe how buzzy that FZR was. But are VFR and the likes smoother or less buzzy? I'm not really sure what creates the vibration, if its just the way they're tuned and balanced or engine cofiguration plays a roll in it as well.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think a lot of young 'uns had best do as the rest of us have done for ages. We look up what the makers offer & read the specification sheets for it feeds us a lot of info & so much better then looking for which is faster then the other by a few mph.

We also buy & swamp m/c mags with the others & read them from front to back ESPECIALLY where there is info on a new bike or possibly a test.

In this way when someone asks a sensible question then you can give a sensible answer.

True I am not interested in Cruisers yet I read the write-ups. I am no longer a dirt comp rider though I keep up with what is on the market. True my three bikes are a '97 Yamaha YZF600r, '00 Honda 929, & '03 Honda 954 I bought this year rather then the CBR1000RR. So all are with four pots like some of you have.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Smitty said:
I think a lot of young 'uns had best do as the rest of us have done for ages. We look up what the makers offer & read the specification sheets for it feeds us a lot of info & so much better then looking for which is faster then the other by a few mph.

We also buy & swamp m/c mags with the others & read them from front to back ESPECIALLY where there is info on a new bike or possibly a test.

In this way when someone asks a sensible question then you can give a sensible answer.

True I am not interested in Cruisers yet I read the write-ups. I am no longer a dirt comp rider though I keep up with what is on the market. .
AMEN Smitty!
And I thought noobs not knowing a 600SS bike was BAD for them was a cheap excuse to buy one , then figure it out...........shit, this takes the cake.

Learn more than just what's 'new and cool looking'......research the history of bikes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
King Cobra said:
Yeah I was reading that so thats why I asked. I'm more interested in the feeling of riding a V4 than the numbers really. For instance, is power generated exponentially like an I4? And do they vibrate any at lower RPMs? Those kinds of things.
I ride a 01 VFR.. the power comes in a very linear way, from the low end all the way to the top. Check out this chart, HP is almost in a straight line and torque is there even at low rpm's.

Edit: I think a 02 954 I testrode for a week vibrated more than the VFR. The VFR feels more planted (probably because it weights more). Slower to fall-in at curves.

·
Registered
183 Posts
V4 engine, huh...

They're supposed to have a little bit better midrange, while being narrower than an inline design and not being as tall as a equivalent displacement twin would be. Overall Front to back width isn't much more than a conventional I4, since the tranny/gearbox extend back that far anyways. Honda raced V4's in the guise of the (early) VFR's, then the RC30, and the RC45. Of course there were others, but not in United States Sportbikeland, really.

But since Honda switched the VFR's duties to pure streetbike, there hasn't been much of an opportunity for regular people to own/ride a V4 sportbike. The RC's were homologation specials and *quite* expensive. Ducati is coming out with a V4 for 2006, but that's going to be hideously expensive as well.

Don't bother comparing the current V4's (VFR, ST) with current sportbikes in the displacement class in an attempt to judge whether the engine configuration is "worthy". TOTALLY different purposes in life, and therefore totally different states of tune.

Scott :)

·
Gordon
124 Posts
v4

I had a vf500r and rode a v45 magna for a while, the motors are very smooth
compared to older i4's and torquey...... :headbang

·
Registered
12 Posts
Engine configuration has less to do with torque/HP curves than many of you have been led to believe. Torque/HP delivery curves have more to do with cam timing, intake tract length and diameter and bore and stroke. My ZRX makes 80 Lb/Ft of torque at 6750 RPM and 112HP at 8500 RPM. How many of the twins make that much torque at roughly 60% of the max RPM? The RC51 only makes 72 Lb/Ft of torque at 7500 RPM and 118.5HP at 9000 RPM. The ZRX produces more torque at a lower RPM than the RC51. Kinda blows the whole V-twin theory of more torque out of the water.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yea and the ZRX is also 200cc's b***** too. Yet the RC51 still makes more Horsepower.

I ride a '99 V4 VFR and it seems pretty smooth. It doesn't seem to lack in the power department. It's just predictable, there's not a sudden rush of power at high rpm's like you get with Inline 4's.

To see you'd have to ride the two back to back. It would be all down to prefernce.

V4 for me though :headbang

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Honda Magna'a in the 1980's were also V-4's. The V30, V45, and V65 were really nice bikes in their time. The V65 was and still is a rocket on two wheels.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Oh... and someone had mentioned the FZR in an earlier post. Mine is a liter and it starts to buzz my hands at about 5500 rpm... what an awesome ride!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts