Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got REAL close to buying a new ST but due to some BAD Dealer issues, and reading up on some serious braking reliability issues, scared me away! I went to Triumphrat.net and there are literally dozens of guys with '05 and '06 ST's with some serious brake issues the Dealer/Factory are saying is "No Problem", and won't stand behind the repairs. Apparently the 675 has a special coating on the caliper pistons that keep them from having the same issues but they won't put them in the ST's. Ther are even guys with '06 ST's that have gone to the junkyard and have installed Kawi ZX-9, and ZX-12 calipers and master cylinder to fix their own issues. Several there are talking about contacting the NHTSA to file an official complaint to have the brakes recalled. It just doesn't sound right to me for a new $12,000 bike, free saddlebags, or 2.9% financing or not. I hope you guys aren't having these issues, but the 2-St's I saw on the dealer floor had some serious mushy front brake levers. Any of you guys having these problems ??

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
recall info deals with a rear caliper bolt.

Triumphs have always had slighty sticky front calipers. My 98 Daytona and my 96 Sprint need to be cleaned properly occasionally.

But, it seems to be a big deal to you.... motorcycling is a passion, buy what makes you feel good.

ride safe.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The Speed Triple guys also often complain about spongy front brake feel. And that's just what it is - front brake feel. I've never heard of them actually failing, and a recent magazine (forget which one) got their fastest 60-0 stopping times ever, on any motorcycle, on a Speed Triple with spongy brake feel. If anything, it's unnerving, and if they were afraid of it being a safety issue, you can bet the lawyers would have made them recall them by now. The S3 and Sprint ST use the same brake setup, so it's no wonder that people would complain about the feel of both of them.

Squishy/spongy brake feel can really only mean a few things, most likely of which is that there's a compressible (air, vapor) in the system where there should only be uncompressibles (hydraulic/brake fluid). Another possibility is that the pistons aren't self-correcting and are settling too far into their seats when the brake lever is released. This may have something to do with the D675 brake pistons' coating and the 675 not having the same type of issues. Beyond these, there's really not much else that will cause a squishy lever like that... so we're down to either air or gas hiding in the system somewhere where it can't be bled out, or the pistons sticking in one way or another.

I'm really surprised nobody (neither at TriumphRAT.net or at a dealer) has done a comprehensive, piece-by-piece teardown of the entire front braking system and tried to diagnose it that way. If I had the problems that those guys compain about, I sure as heck would have. Luckily, though, my old S3's brakes have been just ducky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I won't speak to other's brake problems, but my 06 ST's brakes work just fine. Having read so much about the problem, my imagination has tried to make my brakes have the same problem, but whenever I go out practice max braking, (four finger braking) it stops pretty damn quick. Are they the best brakes that have ever been put on bike, probably not. Are they safe? so far, so good. I'm thinking of putting on braided lines, but just for something to do.
The other topics, heat for instance, for 9 months out of the year I'm thinking of pulling out the foam pieces to get more heat. (I live in Oklahoma). June, July, August, I just tilt my feet into the slipstream when they get warm. Only other issue was solved with a seat from Corbin. (SWEET !!)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I've heard of things like that.... but not that it was a serious problem.

And +1 on the slightly spongy brake feel. It's wierd. I've got braided lines, as well.

And i know FOR SURE that there is no air or water in those lines. Just something wierd, i guess.

They definately get the job done, though!!

The rear brake leaves a little something to be desired... but whatever, it's a rear brake.... who cares?

·
Registered
523 Posts
My boyfriend and I both have '06 ST's and have had absolutely NO issues with the brakes. (We do have the ABS model, but still no troubles.) I have done one emergency brake when someone pulled into my lane and dead stopped in front of me - the brakes were MORE than great. We have several ST owners in our local RAT pack and none of them have problems. I think it's a lot of hype by people who are used to a different brake feel. (We also owned a Speed Triple and had no issues.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts