Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to commute to school through heavy LA/freeway (mainly 405) traffic. Almost every afternoon, its bumper to bumper (especially near Culver City and I-10 on ramp). I've seen some pretty close calls from bikes and one accident :( while in a cage. Any advice?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I live in sac and commute. But not in my bike. When its bumper to bumper and your going 60 and suddenly have to slam on your breaks it gets scary after awhile. Especially if your not paying every bit of attention to the task at hand. Whatever you feel comfortable with in my opinion. If you feel like you can do it safely then give it a try. If not, maybe take some backroads and get on and get off when you get closer to minimize the amount of time your in heavy traffic unti you feel more comfortable?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Choose your lanes carefully and learn how to split safely.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
sleeping bag and pillow, stay where you want to commute. i am not familiar with motorcycle laws in cali, but i hear lane splitting is the bomb. just be very careful when doing it, and if you have an open lane next to you, you are probably to late and going to get run over.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
I honestly wouldnt recommend heavy freeway commuting until you have some miles under your belt. Its just too risky man. Good luck in whatever you decide, but if you are realy worried about being careful -

a new , 20 yr old rider, lane splitting CA Hiway traffic is a freakin disaster waiting to happen.

·
Banned
911 Posts
I honestly wouldnt recommend heavy freeway commuting until you have some miles under your belt. Its just too risky man. Good luck in whatever you decide, but if you are realy worried about being careful -

a new , 20 yr old rider, lane splitting CA Hiway traffic is a freakin disaster waiting to happen.
Riding around town is 10x more dangerous.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
I have lane splitted in the past, and I find it relatively safe if done properly. I just wish it was legal where I am living!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here's a few pointers...
1) Loud pipes save lives.
2) Expect idiots and you will not be disappointed! You will get cut off by sudden lane changes and swerving traffic. Expect vehicles to disrupt your riding and plan on escape routes.
3) Spend a lot of time riding in the lane to see and learn the patterns of cars and road conditions before you start splitting lanes.
4) Take a motorcycle safety course.

·
Mt Vesuvius
1,360 Posts
here in italy lane splitting is the bomb...and no enforced speed limit...i just hope one of those camera boxes havent gotten me yet...

yes lane splitting is legit...

loud pipes are great...sound good and if its loud enough the cages will hear you coming...i know first hand on this one...and bikes sound soo good with loud pipes...

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have yet to drive in bumper to bumper but I-35 gets pretty busy. I stay slightly ahead of traffic if I can, (5mph faster) and stay in the fast lane. Keep checking your rear view mirrors for fast approaching traffic. Assume you are invisible. During the day Drive with your brights on.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Here's what I've learned commuting in the L.A. area:

1. Keep your eyes WAY ahead. Any sign of brake lights, move to one side of your lane and be ready to stop.

2. If there is a lane next to you that is moving significantly slower, move to the opposite side of your lane. This gives you extra room in case someone wants to jerk it over into the faster lane.

3. Stay out of blind spots.

4. Don't lane split with a car on one side and an empty lane on the other, you're asking to get merged into.

5. Watch other drivers in their mirrors. If they're looking around, chances are they're looking for somewhere to merge. It's saved my ass a few times.

6. Brakes aren't always the answer. I had a lady run a red light and make a left turn into my lane from a cross street. There was an SUV next to me. Instead of going for the brakes, I just rolled off the throttle, moved over, and lane split passed the bitch, with horn blowing and finger out.

7. Be willing to wait out the worst of the traffic. It's not that it's the traffic, it's all the afternoon assholes who care about nothing except for getting home. Here's and idea, get a gym membership so you'll have a place to go for an hour or two while the worst dies down.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
941 Posts
PJ (PJ's Parts.com) was wearing one of these t-shirts last weekend when we met up. This thread just reminded me that I'd been meaning to pick one up! I love it!
You don't know how many times I have heard that one. I prefer staying as visible as possible. Most of us have decent stereos in our cages.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Im a new rider but when I drive my car and someone in a really load motorcycle pulls up next to me it kind of aggrivates me, as well as many others. Is that really what you want? To aggrivate everyone you drive next to?

·
Banned
911 Posts
Im a new rider but when I drive my car and someone in a really load motorcycle pulls up next to me it kind of aggrivates me, as well as many others. Is that really what you want? To aggrivate everyone you drive next to?
Grammar is not your strong point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts