Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn it must be the cold weather, but i've been experiencing ants invasion in my place. I live in the hills so i am pretty close to nature and shit(birds, spiders, cats..etc etc, not poop) and two weeks ago i was watching a movie and i had a bowl of ice cream. well movie was over, went to take a shower and ended up forgetting about the bowl. Long story short a couple of hours later i went to pick it up and it was covered in ants...Before removing the bowl i followed them back to their headquarters which was in my back patio. I spread all over...made a hole in their house and spread half of the can. No ants for the rest of the day. Next day i am playing call of dully and eating waffles and i had my plate on the floor next to me. not even an hour into the game and i started seeing ants crawling the plate. Is there like an ant bait(similar to rat)? I used the ant spray all around my place and they are still coming...Should i just toss some red velvet cake into the woods and hope they go after it and leave my house alone

·
Registered
412 Posts
Once they are in your house, they are in there. Little traps and spray cans won't work.

Call an exterminator for outside perimeter protection. It will cost you several hundreds dollars per year (they usually ask for an annual contract) but the money is worth seeing all manners of bugs lying dead right at the perimeter of the house, and not a single one inside.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
If you know where the nest is, you can take care of it locally. A couple houses ago, I was in one that had a bad and persistent ant problem. I figured out that the nest was actually in the crawlspace under the house, and they were climbing directly up from there into the kitchen. Twice a day for about two weeks, I boiled a full teakettle of water and poured it on the anthill. Problem solved, ants gone, no poisons used in or under my house. Win game.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I had them at my old house. I found where they were coming into the house (base board in Kitchen area) and put any killer there. They never came back.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advices, i destroyed their house and sprayed. we will see how it works...if not i will call an speciallist.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You also might look for the poison that they take back to the nest. Unless the queen is killed, that fucker will keep laying eggs. I use combat Ant killing Gel. Got it at Lowes. A few drops where they come into the house or a big blurp near the nest and hopefully a few days later no ants.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
if you can, throw some fuel on he nest or anthil, let it soak in good, and light it on fire.

nothing works on an infestation like lightin it on fire.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Spraying them will do no good. I used to have a bad ant problem but got rid of them. You need to get the Ortho liquid bait that comes in little trays(its a clear plastic type tray with clear liquid). Cut it open and put it in the line they use to travel. It may take a day or so, but they will be gone.

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you can, throw some fuel on he nest or anthil, let it soak in good, and light it on fire.

nothing works on an infestation like lightin it on fire.
I thought about that but, that's a no no here in Cali. Heck they will cite you for lighting a match

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts

Anyhow, I had a small ant problem a couple years back. Fuckers were coming in from outside to eat from the recycling bin. Solved the problem in 3 days:

1) Camped out multiple times a day and squished as many of the little assholes as I could. Easily killed dozens this way.
2) Sprayed around all entryways (door frames, window frames, etc)
3) Put down a couple of traps.
4) All recycling now gets washed/rinsed clean before being put in the bin

Voilà, no ants.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Unless you meant you're being invaded by the Andes. Then I'd say you're making a mountain out of an anthill here.

:rhet

·
Fast bikes fan
2,120 Posts
The solution is to clean up all your trash potato

haha just kidding.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
What I want to know, is who keeps letting Potato back in?

I had a small ant problem when I moved into my apartment. I'm still not sure it's entirely gone, but I haven't seen any of the fuckers in two months now. I picked up some Ortho indoor/outdoor spray. I sprayed every single seam that wasn't carpeted on the inside between every single room. Under all cabinets, tops, sides, and bottoms of the window frames. Basically, everywhere they might possible be hiding, as well as coming in from. Then I laid out some ant baits in the bathroom and kitchen cabinets (I have to hide that shit so my son doesn't find them and play with them) and that's it. My apartments also spray monthly, so that's a nice bonus.

If you're in a house. Look for a product that contains malathon. It usually comes in a green bottle and is super concentrated. You're supposed to mix a shit ton of water with a small amount of the malathon, but I always mix it stupid strong because I want to kill the fucking bugs. Throw that shit in a sprayer, and spray every wall seam, crack, wherever grass/concrete meet, etc. Stinks like hell, kills black widows on contact (but not after it dries), and leaves an invisible residue that kills for a couple months after it dries. Do that two or three times a year and you won't ever have a bug problem again. I spray my mom's house regularly because of black widows so I try to cut down their food supply.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Black widows, I'd freak out and move.
They're every where in Southern California. I can't tell you how hard I've tried to eradicate them from my mom's house, but there are just too many hiding spots. Best I can do is keep the food supply low and there aren't as many.

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update...The population has decreased but they are still there. i see small troops of ants every now and then...I never thought in a million years that the wildlife in L.A was so active...I see Deers and coyotes every week...Last night came late from work and a coyote was just chilling on my streets looking for snacks...it scared the shit out of me. At first i thought it was a big dog, but then i was like fuck...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts