Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been pondering this for a while now, but i want to hear yalls take on it.

what would you do with a very high dollar, rare sportbike; like an MV agusta or a carbon-fiber $40,000 aprilia nera? i dont think i could convince myself to ride it on the street because of the risk of someone pulling out in front of me, or some mistake i make and the bike ends up totalled. on the other hand, i dont really like entertaining the idea of racing it at the track either cause i know i would ride it hard, and the risk of wadding it would still be ever present. but out of the two though id rather ride it at the controlled environment of the track.

i dont know if this quandry perplexes anyone else round here, but id have a tough time deciding when/how i would ride such motorcycles. i know i would because these fabulous machines are made to be ridden, and i would want nothing more than to have one sit in a garage and never be enjoyed the way it was meant to.

i dunno if this is just way out of left field or what, but its been something thats been stuck in my head for a while, so i decided id post about it.

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
I dunt care if it's a $200 EX250 or a $60,000 Turbine Powered Y2K, if the titles got my name on it, You'll see me trying to pull a wheelie on it. Cost dont mean anything. They are meant to be ridden. I'd do burnouts in the missiing Ed Roth car. I'd take one of the original "Eleanore"s from Gone in 60 seconds and attempt a second take a the jump scene. Money is useless unless you use it buy something. It's just colored paper. As soon as you decide to buy something, you have said that whatever you bought is worth XXX amount of colored paper. Then, to shelter that item is an attempt to keep the item in good enough shape that you can retrieve XXX colored paper for it again. WHY??? It's COLORED PAPER. Keep enough around to eat, for next months mortgage, and some stashed in case your hand falls off and you need a new one. After that, BUY THINGS THAT YOU LIKE AND USE THEM HOW YOU WANT TO! I dont know about you, but the thought of having a hundred million dollars only excites me cause I know what COOL stuff I can buy with 100 million peices of colored paper. IF I had 100 million dollars, I wouldnt pile it up in my garage and invite my buddies to come over and drink beer while looking at it. I'D SPEND IT.

that's my take

The 'hopper

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with Grashopr. You work for your money. While you do need to be responsible with it incase something fucked up happens in your life, the rest of it is for spending. Be that on trips or 40000 $$$ bikes.

I'd probably wait a couple years until I had better skills but I'd ride the shit out of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd sell it to the highest bidder after riding it once. Then I'd get 1 or 2, heck maybe even three other bikes I'd ride the piss out of.

M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I had the cash to blow on something that expensive I would beat the shit out of it. Ride it like you stole it. Hell I thru 10 grand out the door on my first gixxer 1k and now I'm on my second you earn it to spend it and if your uncomfortable spending it give it too me.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I thought about that also, like those 300k cars and whatnot, people are cautious of ridingt them on the street, but a bike like that, I would ride only if i couldn't sell it.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Classic responses from people that can't buy it.
The average person that spends $40,000 on a bike, haves a lot more than just the money to buy the bike, so they don't care about selling it for other bikes, as they probably have had them or have them at the same time.

Its like buying a Ferrari, you buy a brand new ferrari after you've had many other things, it is not like the first $400,000 you make are going straight to the ferrari, obviusly first came a house, clothes, other cars, and other leisure items.

Last time I saw a Lamborghini I was staring at it, afraid to touch it and scratching it!!! But believe me, the owner wasnt afraid of touching it, nevermind about driving it. Its like the time I saw a Ferrari 360 on the stop-go traffic!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Well, whats the point of owning a bike like mentioned above, if your not going to ride it? That's like getting a Lotus and letting sit in your garage... Either way, if I had my dream bike, which is an MV, I'd make darn sure EVERYONE saw me on it.. ya know, rub it in a little... :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'd ride it and ride it hard. Nothing on that bike isn't replaceable one way or another. Prolly wouldn't take it out at night tho.....worried about getting shot for it.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
its like if you bought an AMG benz, or an exotic sportscar. they are all meant to be driven/ridden... i dream of owning an MV, and i don't dream of keeping it in my garage.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd ride it :D

After spending lots of time at car shows, seeing amazing vehicles that are just not driven, I vowed anything I owned I would drive.

Sure, it'd be a sunny day only, once in a while thing, but I'd put miles on it. Not to the car/bike show and back home.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I'm trying to find me a Yamaha R7 (yeah it's not $40k) but I'll ride it just as much as I've ridden any bike it does no good to me sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
346 Posts
if i had the money to blow on something like that i'd be sure as hell out there riding it. yeah i'd take care of it and keep it in primo condition, but i'd ride itlike it was meant to be. buying something like that is a strictly lesuire item, it isnt a decision like, hmmm should i buy this house or get this here MV. if one has the money to buy something like that they have to money to fix it if something happens.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If I could afford something extravagent then I could probabaly afford to buy another one if something happened. I would ride it just like I ride my beater now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd thrash it daily. Wash it once per season. And I'd prolly go too long between oil changes and lubing the chain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts