Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal I know it's a good idea to start small, however I am getting a good deal on a Honda 600cc. The real ticker is that I'm 5'4" and 130lbs. I'm wondering if this bike will be WAY too big for me. I'm just curious if I will be able to handle the size of the bike with my small profile. Also, I do have concerns about the size of the engine being as I've never ridden a sportbike before (some experience with dirt bikes, but apparently that doesn't matter). So am I in way over my head, or will I just have to be really cautious. I haven't looked at it yet, but I will this week end. Also, any ideas on what to look for when inspecting a used bike. Thanks.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
whats a good deal?

bikes come and go? the same deal can be had next year on a similar bike....

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Your first bike won't be your last, unless you treat it like that. Get something smaller, especially with how small you are. Nobody's impressed by deadmen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'94 CBR 600 for about $1,500. It has cosmo damage, but I figure I'm a beginer so I'm prolly going to drop it. The paint is bad and that's the reason for the low price. I will be tking a mechanically savvy fella with me when I go look at it. Also, I kind've want a 600 due to the fact that I'll be riding it for 45 mi every day to get to classes. I want something that can do highway speeds at low rpm's as al queada has terrorized the gas industry. I just don't know if it's a good idea for my small size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
im about your size, id look for a 250-500, its alot better to start on something smaller so you are not intimidated even if it is an older 600

( my first post giving advice!)

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
That bike will be fine. The F2 is pretty docile for a 600. As long as you're cautious you'll be fine. The rider is more important that the bike, so take the MSF, and take your time learning to ride it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'll look for a some used Ninjas. Will they be fine for highway cruising though? Is there anything in a 250 size that isn't a Ninja though. I undestand safty is more important than looks, but man I can't stand the Ninja. Oh, well sacrifices have to be made.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
11 y.o. bike for $1500

2000-2004 ninja 250 $2000

hmm.....i wonder which is more mechanically sound........

the 250 does 110mph.......i've seen it.

250, 50+mpg...........

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
See how you feel about it after the class. There will probably be several different types of bikes available to riide there so you could see if you are comfortable riding a 250 ninjette, nighthawk or Virago. Work onn the physical and mental skill set before the bike.

AND if you are going there BUY some good riding gear!

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
shinkic2005 said:
Thanks. I'll look for a some used Ninjas. Will they be fine for highway cruising though? Is there anything in a 250 size that isn't a Ninja though. I undestand safty is more important than looks, but man I can't stand the Ninja. Oh, well sacrifices have to be made.
In sportbikes, not much else is available in the 250 class. You may be able to find a VTR250. If you must have a sportbike, though, go with the Ninja. Just don't be fooled into thinking you need a b***** bike in 2 months. Keep it for a while and learn how to turn and stop. Anyone can twist a grip, it's the skill in turning and stopping that counts. Don't forget to practice the slow speed stuff.

Ride safe and wear your gear. :)

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
RACER X said:
11 y.o. bike for $1500

2000-2004 ninja 250 $2000

hmm.....i wonder which is more mechanically sound........

the 250 does 110mph.......i've seen it.

250, 50+mpg...........

You're making a lot of assumptions here...

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
It looks like he's only making one to me - which one is more mechanically sound. All the other things he has listed are true.

And BTW, my ninja 250 got 60 MPG+ most of the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
like the others, take the msf course and you do fine with the f2. although concerning your size the 250 would probably comfort you much better. it is your money to spend though, so get whichever one you want. even if you dont fit perfect on the f2, if thats the bike you want and spend the money for it, you will be happy.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Oh and 1500 for that bike is not a really good deal.... it's an OK deal.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
An f2 will be a manageable bike.
I would NOT, however, pay $1500 for an 11 year old bike with cosmetic damage (or any damage more than just superficial scratches). My '02 F4i cost me $3500 this summer (a few scratches but thats it).

You don't need a 600 to do freeway speeds.

I'm not gonna condemn you if you get the F2 but I don't think its that sweet of a deal and some of your justification is flawed (just admit you prefer the f2 and I'll be fine with that).

·
Registered
578 Posts
I just bought my first bike this week im 16 and 6"1 and i have a 400cc id go smaller engine size.. plus insurance will be hight for a new rider on a 600cc

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
honestly, i say if you got the money for the insurance, and IF YOU GOT A GOOD HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDERS (a.k.a. dont be stupid on it), get the bike you want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts