Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about removing the SET Valve from the GSXR 1000 '06 for better low end performance? I've been looking into it, but can't find info about what wires to clip off the ecu. I tried it to see how it works but the bike defaulted into the "Safe" mode. anyone have any ideas, or actual how to's for a 1000? Ive seen info for older 1000's, 600/750's but not an 06. HELP! Thanks in advance for any help/input.
My main reason for wanting to do this mod is to get a better low end response w/o twisting the throttle to hard for better slow turns and maneuverability.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I doubt removing the SET valve will improve low-end throttle response. As a matter-of-fact its supposed to help with low-end torque by providing some backpressure so the exhaust pulses will help scavange other cylinders. The headers on these bikes are tuned for high-rpm and don't function as well at lower-rpms.

It doesn't hurt anything to try disabling it. On the ZX-10R with a stock exhaust, you can just disconnect the cables from the SET valve and it will default to open. As long as you don't remove servo motor itself (disconnect it from the ECU) it won't give you any error codes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I found a tutorial on it on gixxer.com before. I also read that when some people modded the SET valve the oil pressure light always stayed on. That's why I decided not to do the SET valve.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does anyone know if messing the SET valve will mess with the warranty. I got the 4 yr extended warranty for my new bike just in case I blow the motor while running it at the track. I don't want to do anything to void the warranty.

·
Registered
553 Posts
HAHA oh yeah, new bike, are you gonna run it at the track pre-600 miles?

Where's Sal's uh, link to that alternative break-in procedure where you hammer the fuck out of your machine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ya I'm def not babying my bike. I'm hitting the track June 25th North Course so we'll see if I hit 600...haha. I'll change the oil before I hit the track regardless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts