Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have zero info on this but I know that it happened...

This afternoon, there was a rider vs train somewhere here in central FL...I know this because a trauma alert was called by Bayflite but they called back saying the rider died on scene...

Anyone have any info on this at all?

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Same here..... RIP.... i hate hearing about this stuff as i'm sure we all do.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MsDaytona said:
Oh wow that sucks, I haven't heard anything... R.I.P. :(
The confusing part is that Bayflite is out of Tampa...But with the weather being bad, Lifenet might have been grounded, so Bayflite would have responded...I'll keep my ears and eyes open...

I'm sure this one will make the papers...

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
weak, im sorry to hear this yet another rider lost.....why would you race a train though?? its just too risky R.I.P. :(

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks like this one was a dirt bike...

---------------------------------------------

Motorcycle Rider Dies When Hit by Train
Man was riding alongside track near Polk-Pasco line.

By Gabrielle Finley
The Ledger
[email protected]

LAKELAND -- A Brooksville man riding a dirt bike was killed Wednesday afternoon when he collided with a freight train, the Florida Highway Patrol reported.

Forrest L. Goff, 34, died at the scene of the collision about three miles south of County Road 54.

The crash occurred about noon as Goff was riding north, near the eastern edge of the track, according to an FHP report.

Somehow, his bike got into the path of a northbound CSX freight train, and the front right side of the locomotive hit the back of the dirt bike, the FHP reported.

The collision threw Goff from his bike, and he was declared dead at the scene by Polk County EMS, according to FHP spokesman Lt. Larry Coggins.

Coggins said it was unclear why Goff was riding near the railroad and what took him into the path of the train.

The locomotive, operated by conductor Craig Barnes, 43, of Jacksonville, was pulling 65 freight cars behind it. It came to a stop a quarter of a mile beyond the point of the collision, the report said.

The train was headed to Jacksonville.

Neither EMS nor the Highway Patrol were notified about the accident until about an hour after it occurred because CSX employees were unsure which agency to call because of the accident's proximity to the Polk and Pasco county lines, according to Coggins and EMS records.

When EMS did arrive, medics pronounced Goff dead at the scene.

Sharon Lay, a resident of the area, said she came to the accident scene when helicopters alerted her horses. The accident happened near the Green Swamp Wildlife Management Area where there is a wildlife park with several horse and bike trails.

"I usually take my horses along the trails,"she said. "The only thing that would fit on the trail is a horse or a dirt bike."

Lay added that a group of motor bikers routinely ride through her neighborhood streets.

It is unknown whether Goff was riding with anyone else.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
So the people on the train sat there for an hour debating on who to call for help? WTF??? I smell a civil suit coming on.

Wondering too how the dirtbike got hit, if he was racing the train or if it was a freak accident.

Sad though.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I kind doubt he was raacing the train I figure he was riding the trail with his helmet on and you know how loud dirtbikes are and didn't even hear it coming from behind him. Trains are wide, much wider than the tracks so I think he was just too close to the track and got caught by the front corner of it maybe... Yeah the fact that they waited an hour to call b/c they were "debating" is :bs, all you have to do is dial 911 and it will direct you to the dispatch center you are closest to.
RIP brother :(.

·
Registered
36 Posts
damn...sawwie to hear...RIP...ride safe everyone...dirt or street. :(

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Why the hell did it take an hour? that is a BS excuse

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I used to race with the goff family up in inverness.
I wonder if this is part of the same family?
Sad to see this kind of thing happen. :eek:

·
Registered
235 Posts
MOTORBIKE-TRAIN CRASH

Remote Site Eluded Rescuers
It took a crew at least 45 minutes to reach the scene.

By Gabrielle Finley
The Ledger
[email protected]

LAKELAND -- CSX engineer Craig Barnes said he called 911 just seconds after the freight train he was driving in northwest Polk County collided with Forrest Goff's motorbike Wednesday afternoon.

But it took emergency workers at least 45 minutes to get to the scene of the accident, where Goff, 34, of Brooksville, was eventually declared dead, EMS records show.

The delay appeared to stem from the remote location of the crash, which took place at about 12:15 p.m., three miles south of County Road 54 near the PolkPasco line. The area is swampy and lacks access roads. It is sometimes used by motorcycle riders, like Goff, area residents said.

Barnes said when he called 911, seconds after the collision, a Pasco County operator answered, and he began to tell her what happened.

"I advised them to send a helicopter because swamp surrounded the railroad," he said. "There's no other way to get to the accident.

"She kept asking me what county I was in," Barnes recalled. "I said I didn't know, but it doesn't matter what county it was."

Barnes said he called several times, telling the same Pasco County operator what happened and told her that Goff was still conscious for some time after the collision.

"It was such a mass of confusion on their part," he said.

According to Pasco County EMS records, a Pasco County rescue crew was finally dispatched at 12:48 p.m. A Pasco County Fire Engine was the first to arrive at a nearby railroad crossing at CR 54 at 1:05 p.m.

After the emergency crew reached the crossing, they had to hike three miles to the scene of the collision. It's not clear when the Pasco rescue workers actually reached Goff.

In fact, it was a Polk County rescue crew, dispatched at 1:13 p.m., that actually declared Goff dead at 1:55 p.m., according to EMS records. That crew arrived at a Kathleen Road rail crossing 10 minutes after being dispatched, records show. The Polk County rescuers approached the accident scene from the opposite direction of the hiking Pasco crew by using a CSX rail truck.

Pasco County supervisors were not available Thursday to comment on the response to the crash, communications workers said.

Polk's rescue workers arrived first, but the exact time remains unclear. Goff was declared dead at 1:55 p.m., more than 90 minutes after the collision. Barnes, who was driving the 6,500-foot-long freight train, said Thursday that he first saw Goff about 100 feet ahead of him on the eastern edge of the tracks, on top of the edges of wooden railroad ties and gravel that flank train tracks.

Barnes recounted bleating his "ear-deafening" horn and engaging the train's emergency brake as he approached from behind. Yet Goff seemed not to hear the approaching train.

"I never saw the guy look back," Barnes said.

He said the train was moving at 47 mph at the time of the collision, which threw Goff from his bike and away from the tracks. It took the train at least a quarter mile to stop, according to Barnes and Florida Highway Patrol reports.

The CSX freight train was pulling 107 freight cars behind it, stretching more than a mile, Barnes said.

"That's about 7,000 tons of train," the engineer said. "That's what made it so hard to stop."

Barnes said in this situation he did everything by the book.

Still, thinking about the confusion and delays in responding to the crash, Barnes said he felt a little better when a Polk County emergency official told him that Goff probably could not have been saved because of the force of the collision.

"There was nothing we could do," Barnes said.

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
Good follow up story.
I think some heads should roll over there in Pasco Cty.

Sad news to hear still.

R.I.P.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
RIP Forrest and what a shame it took so long for people to get there to help him...he was still alive and probably could have been saved!!

Damn is it like the Keystone cops over there or something??? geeze...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts