Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the looks and the sound, I just remembered that I've not yet been burned by the exhaust can or had any of my riding gear melt by accidental contact, since having the FZ6. Used to get burned by the can on my Bandit once in a while. Sport-Rider magazine said recently that there is no good reason to have under-tail exhaust, as it heats up the seat and raises center of gravity, not to mention takes away storage space and reduces potential suspension travel. Despite these disadvantages, I think most sport bikes will eventually go with it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The underlying purpose for a sport bike is excess lean angles. Low cans have always been counter intuitive to this purpose. High mount and under seat exhausts are the quintessential evolution of a true sport bike. Granted, not every one is laying the bike over 50+ degrees, but maybe Sport-Rider should remember the lineage of each motorcycle type.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Undertail exhaust = Expensive cans not damaged (as much) when you go down.

That's fine enough of a reason for me.

Plus, they look cool, which is a huge reason!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The looks of the bike, which certainly includes whether or not this big can is hanging out there, is one of the main reasons I didn't go with the SV650. It's also a reason that if I decide to upgrade in the future, I'd go with the R1 everything else being relatively equal.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Good idea.. re-route small sub-exhaust pipes through the handlebars and out the bar ends, too.

segue00 said:
It adds to the bikes symmetry and it acts as a heater during cold rides.:lao

·
Registered
898 Posts
I love the looks of our undertails eventhe stock ones. I would love to upgrade to an R1 or a FZ1 but I do not like that big ugly side pipe on the FZ1. Maybe I will get an R1 later in life after a couple of years on my great Fizzer.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
I like how the undertail exhausts look. The Buells have the exhaust mounted under the bike for mass centralization. It's claimed this give you better handling characteristics.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
ejworthen said:
I like how the undertail exhausts look. The Buells have the exhaust mounted under the bike for mass centralization. It's claimed this give you better handling characteristics.
It's put there so that the leaking oil is burned off/caught as it falls to give the illusion of reliability.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't know if this is possible, but I was wondering if putting some sort of heat resistant material under the actual 'trunk' would help with any heat issues. Is there room between the pipes and the trunk for this? I forget what the material is called, but I remember people using something for under the hood of the cars/headers... it was kind of like fiberglass insulation and aluminum sheet top to hold it together?

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Undertail exhaust = Expensive cans not damaged (as much) when you go down.
Well, it definitely DOES = expensive cans... but at least it does protect them.

Binary Jay said:
Plus, they look cool, which is a huge reason!
THE most important reason in my book! :lol

Sure, as someone else mentioned, they allow increased lean angles, but how many people are scraping their cans on sport bikes on the streets? This seems like it would come into play more in track racing. However, since this is where most of the sport bike designs come from, I agree that undertails will become the norm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
f5nix said:
I don't know if this is possible, but I was wondering if putting some sort of heat resistant material under the actual 'trunk' would help with any heat issues. Is there room between the pipes and the trunk for this? I forget what the material is called, but I remember people using something for under the hood of the cars/headers... it was kind of like fiberglass insulation and aluminum sheet top to hold it together?
I think I saw this mentioned in another thread. Search on Kevlar or heat resistant.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
f5nix said:
I had suggested I might look at a piece of aluminized Kevlar under the seat to reduce the heat on the passenger seat. The majority of the feedback was that it would be a waste of time. I'm still going to make one up to see what it does. I just need to spend a few days around home to get to it. (too much business travel lately)

PM me if you're interested and I'll let you know what I come up with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts