Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a 2004 FZ6 for $4k with around 10K miles on it. Is that a lot of miles for a bike? The guy has had it a year and rode pretty much highway miles. I don't know what is a lot of miles for a bike but i plan on riding about 10K per year at least. So, questions as follows:

• Is a 2004 FZ6 with 10K miles worth $4K?
  • Is 10K miles a lot for a bike?
  • What possible problems should I watch out for in the near future?

NADA shows the low value at $3885 and average at $5100.

Average Retail Value — An average retail unit should be clean without obvious defects. All rubber and cables should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. All lights and switches should work properly. The mileage should be within or slightly higher than the average range. This unit should also pass any emission inspection.

Thanks for any help.

Here is a pic of the bike:

Attachments

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
10,000 miles is nothing, that engine will last for at leat 70-80,000 miles before anythign goes wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
sit on it first. When I was shopping for bikes I sat on an FZ6 and my ass immediately objected.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Süsser Tod said:
10,000 miles is nothing, that engine will last for at leat 70-80,000 miles before anythign goes wrong with it.
That is what I was thinking.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TRaGiK said:
Sounds like an pretty awesome deal. Cheapest I've found them for in my area is $4.5k.
I am thinking I need to call this dude up and make a deal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice looking bike. Probably the biggest thing I would consider with a used bike (besides road rash!) is if the owner seems like the type to keep up with the maintenance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yamaha is offering a great deal on a new bike (2005) if you can find one in stock. 6 months no payments, then 66 ($137.00 a mo. payments begin in March 06) payments at 10.9%, no down payment. I bought one, $6,900.00 out the door, TTL, fees, shipping, dock, ect. here in Irving TX. Pick it up on Wednesday, wasn't able to pick it up due schedule. Found a dealer in Florida that was selling them at $5299.00, I just could go to Florida to get it. Good luck. This was a good deal for me.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Rocket67 said:
  • Is a 2004 FZ6 with 10K miles worth $4K?
  • Is 10K miles a lot for a bike?
  • What possible problems should I watch out for in the near future?
10k is not many miles at all. These bikes are made to be ridden. With proper maintenance the bike will last well past 50,000 miles with no problems.

Only thing to watch out for in the future is the normal wear and tear stuff.............tires, brakes, chain, sprockets, ect..

·
Registered
217 Posts
2001FZ1 said:
10k is not many miles at all. These bikes are made to be ridden. With proper maintenance the bike will last well past 50,000 miles with no problems.

Only thing to watch out for in the future is the normal wear and tear stuff.............tires, brakes, chain, sprockets, ect..

is 10k miles low due to model of the bike? compared to lets say an r6? are you saying this model of bike is meant to be ridden and can go to 50k miles no problems, or bikes in general (when properly maintained) are able to go to 50k miles no problem?

thanks,
jon

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
10K miles is low for a bike but is higher than average for this year of bike.

10k is low for any modern bike like thre FZ6, R6, GSXR or ZX**.
When I sold my '89 ZX7 it had 35,000 miles and still ran like new. It never had a single problem. My '94 ZX9R had 24,000 miles and it was running great. My FZ1 currently has 21,500 and runs better than new.
I ride with a guy that has 88,000 on his FZ1. My cousin had 22,000 on his R6 when some lady pull out in front on him and totaled the bike. He put thos 22k miles on it in just 2 years.
A friend at work sold his 82 Yamaha Maxim 750 with 70k miles on it and the last time he saw it, the odometer was showing 98k. The only thing that ever went wrong was the clutch and the started.

If you did a mileage poll, you would be surprised to see how many guys have 30k, 40k or even 50k miles on their bikes.

One more thing to consider. Yamaha's are known for their excellent valve trains. The FZ6 doesn't need a valve adjustment until 26.6k miles. My FZ1 also needs it at 26.6K miles and the same goes for the R1. Compare that to a CBR600RR where it is required at 16k miles. 15K miles for the ZX6RR, 15K for GSXR1000, 15K for the SV-650, Ect..... (don't believe, look them up)

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I really would not worry about the milage on the bike if it has been taken care of, it should be fine. You should be able to get alot more miles out of it before it gives you any problems.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2001FZ1 said:

He said it needs a front tire in about 2K miles and a chain in about 6K. He has had it yamaha 5 times to have it serviced and has one free left that he said he would use before I got it. Apparently the dealer gave him 6 free services when he picked it up.

I am going to a dealer today to check out pricing on a new one. I am also looking at a few used bike dealers today.

·
Registered
732 Posts
That sounds like a really good price on an FZ6. The only problem to watch out for that I know of is the TPS issue. The throttle position sensor goes bad on some of the FZ6's and causes the engine to stall and to idle rough. The problem is relatively inexpensive to fix, and Yamaha is aware of the problem. One guy with an '04 posted that Yamaha paid for the new part (out of the warranty period), and only made him pay for dealer labor.

That said, the FZ6 is a great bike, and 10,000 miles is nothing (just change the oil and it will go 80,000 easily). Save yourself some money and buy the used '04, that's what I did.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tilejerky said:
That sounds like a really good price on an FZ6. The only problem to watch out for that I know of is the TPS issue. The throttle position sensor goes bad on some of the FZ6's and causes the engine to stall and to idle rough. The problem is relatively inexpensive to fix, and Yamaha is aware of the problem. One guy with an '04 posted that Yamaha paid for the new part (out of the warranty period), and only made him pay for dealer labor.

That said, the FZ6 is a great bike, and 10,000 miles is nothing (just change the oil and it will go 80,000 easily). Save yourself some money and buy the used '04, that's what I did.

Ok, it's official (hopefully). I am driving to get it Saturday for 4K and that includes a smoked windshield and the stock one plus a shoei helmet. As well, he is taking it to the dealer this week and getting it serviced before I pick it up.

As far as checking it out I will be checking the hard to get to spots for melted rubber and will look for leaks in the shock seals as well as check the front fork bearings. Also taking a guy who is experienced on an R1 to ride it and check the motor and trans at higher RPM's.

Anything else to look for besides the obvious scratches, dings?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2_wheeled_slave said:
take more pics when you get her.
Yeah, I will have to get one with me on it for my avatar!! :banana

1 - 17 of 17 Posts